Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

WDH chains vs bars

I'm in the market for a WDH/sway. My budget is $300-$450. My TV can pull 5000k and TT weighs 2900k dry. I was looking at

Fastway 94-00-1000 e2 Series 2-Point Sway Hitch - 10000 lbs. Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071L3IFK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_T8HswbYM8HXX7

Or
CURT 17500 TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitch with Active Sway Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O46ZO02/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_E.HswbH0M35YV

I'm not sure on tongue weight; the rear does dip. I haven't felt much sway. I wouldn't have much weight other then est 500-1500 in gear and passengers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #2

I've used and been around chain style equalizer bars my entire life. I'm happy with the results I have seen and have not had a failure (knock on wood). I have no experience with the bar style however.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #3

What's the difference in the two?

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
I'm in the market for a WDH/sway. My budget is $300-$450.
That's a cheap hitch. Better than nothing, but not much better.

Instead spend $600 to $700 at Amazon and get one of these:

Reese Strait-Line with 1,200 pound trunnion bars, complete with adjustable shank, or
Blue Ox SwayPro, or
Equal-I-Zer

Those are much better designs and you'll be much happier with the results over the long run.

Strait-Line without shank: (Add about $125 for the adjustable shank.)
Amazon.com: Reese 66074 Strait-Line 1200 lbs. Trunnion Bar: Automotive

Blue Ox SwayPro with shank:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BXW100...+swaypro+hitch

Equal-I-Zer shank:
Amazon.com: Equal-i-zer 90024500 Adjustable Shank: Automotive

Equal-I-Zer hitch
Amazon.com: Equal-i-zer 90001001 Sway Control Hitch (No Shank): Automotive

Now, back to your questions of chains vs. no chains. I have a Strait-Line that uses chains. Works great. I have a ProPride that doesn't use chains.. The ProPride is much easier to fine-tune the settings. but then it cost over $2,400, orabout four times as much as the Strait-Line. So I would expect the ProPride to be a bit better than the Strait-Line.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
That's a cheap hitch. Better than nothing, but not much better.

Instead spend $600 to $700 at Amazon and get one of these:

Reese Strait-Line with 1,200 pound trunnion bars, complete with adjustable shank, or
Blue Ox SwayPro, or
Equal-I-Zer

Those are much better designs and you'll be much happier with the results over the long run.

Strait-Line without shank: (Add about $125 for the adjustable shank.)
Amazon.com: Reese 66074 Strait-Line 1200 lbs. Trunnion Bar: Automotive

Blue Ox SwayPro with shank:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BXW100...+swaypro+hitch

Equal-I-Zer shank:
Amazon.com: Equal-i-zer 90024500 Adjustable Shank: Automotive

Equal-I-Zer hitch
Amazon.com: Equal-i-zer 90001001 Sway Control Hitch (No Shank): Automotive

Now, back to your questions of chains vs. no chains. I have a Strait-Line that uses chains. Works great. I have a ProPride that doesn't use chains.. The ProPride is much easier to fine-tune the settings. but then it cost over $2,400, orabout four times as much as the Strait-Line. So I would expect the ProPride to be a bit better than the Strait-Line.

Smokey, he said his TT is 2900# empty. Do not see where he needs 1200# bars!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Smokey, he said his TT is 2900# empty. Do not see where he needs 1200# bars!
Granted. But he was considering hitches with spring bars rated 10,000 and 17,500. So I mentioned good WD hitches with max tongue weight of 1,000 pounds, or as close to 1,000 pounds that is available for each brand of hitch.

His 5,000-pound max trailer weight (ignore empty weight) with 15% tongue weight needs a WD hitch with a minimum of 750 pounds tongue weight capacity. So a WD hitch with 800 pounds max tongue weight capacity is all he "needs". But having more hitch than required is okay, within reason.

The Reese Strait-Line trunnion bar hitch is available with 800, 1,200 and higher capacity spring bars. 1,000 pound spring bars are not available for the Strait-Line, but they are available for other brands of good WD hitches. He needs the one with 800 pounds capacity, but 1200 is not too much. My tongue weight is ~650 pounds, and my ProPride hitch has max tongue weight of 1,400 pounds. I can easily adjust the tension on the spring bars to support the 650 pounds tongue weight, with lots of adjustment remaining in case I graduate to a heavier trailer some day.

My Strait-Line hitch is rated 800 pounds max tongue weight. When I load my cargo trailer to about 6,154 pounds with 13% tongue weight, that's right on the 800 pounds tongue weight limit. The trailer has GVWR of 7,000 pounds, but I can't load it to the max unless I invest in a stronger WD hitch. It's a lot of work to move the Pro-Pride hitch from the TT to the cargo trailer, so I don't do that unless absolutely required for a long haul with the loaded cargo trailer.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

So far I have pulled our trailed 6700 miles using this WDH and sway control with no problems with pulling or sway. I highly recommend it and it is inexpensive, not cheap.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
... and it is inexpensive, not cheap.
Disagree. It's cheap.

Internet SALE $269.00
Reg $299.00
Freight: $100.00

So less than $400 delivered.

But the sway control system is a friction-based sway bar. Adequate under mild sway conditions, but inadequate when you get into the severe sway conditions. You have lots of miles using it, but you've apparently been lucky because you haven't encountered the combination of conditions that can result in uncontrollable sway. Such as puffing cross winds while towing down a rain-slick highway with a chug hole in the middle of a curve and meeting an 18-wheeler barreling down the highway at 70 MPH.

Husky makes a good WD hitch with much better sway control than that one. But it costs more than $269 plus.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
Note that at that $500 price it does not include the spring bars. Order the spring bars of the correct tongue weight capacity for about $100 more, and the total is almost $600.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Disagree. It's cheap.

Internet SALE $269.00
Reg $299.00
Freight: $100.00

So less than $400 delivered.

But the sway control system is a friction-based sway bar. Adequate under mild sway conditions, but inadequate when you get into the severe sway conditions. You have lots of miles using it, but you've apparently been lucky because you haven't encountered the combination of conditions that can result in uncontrollable sway. Such as puffing cross winds while towing down a rain-slick highway with a chug hole in the middle of a curve and meeting an 18-wheeler barreling down the highway at 70 MPH.

Husky makes a good WD hitch with much better sway control than that one. But it costs more than $269 plus.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
Note that at that $500 price it does not include the spring bars. Order the spring bars of the correct tongue weight capacity for about $100 more, and the total is almost $600.
What I meant by "not cheap" is that it is strong and very well built. I realize that you are an "expert" in all things WDH and sway control but unless you have driven a rig exactly like mine then you have no knowledge of how well mine works. We have driven through blinding rain storms in Louisiana and Alabama, extremely gusty winds in West Texas and Colorado and all manner of fast moving 18 wheel trucks close by. The bow wave never presents a problem. The friction sway bar works great.
Have a nice day.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #10

I just got the Equalizer E4 with the bars and like it. PPL motorhomes have the cheapest price I found. Around $440, shipped.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Andersen wd/anti sway hitch. Better choice for the money. Look up reviews of all and check out youtube.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
WDH chains vs bars
Nit picking, but you don't mean chains vs. bars. All WDH have spring bars. So I suspect you mean chains vs. adjustable brackets for adjusting the tension on the spring bars.

Reese Strait-Line with dual cam sway control is an example of using chain links to adjust the tension on the spring bars. Equal-I-Zer is an example of adjustable brackets. The ultimate example of using something other than chain links for adjusting the tension on the spring bars is the ProPride system. which uses a built-in screw jack to change the tension on the spring bars.

One of the reasons I love my ProPride so much is it's simple to adjust the tension on the spring bars to result in only a few pounds change in weight distributed off the rear axle of the tow vehicle. With my Strait-Line, one chain link is often too much change in weight distribution, so then I have to go in and change some of the mounting bolts to fine-tune the weight distribution. That's a PITA, but it can be done. It would be less drama with an Equal-I-Zer-type hitch.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Nit picking, but you don't mean chains vs. bars. All WDH have spring bars. So I suspect you mean chains vs. adjustable brackets for adjusting the tension on the spring bars.

I believe the Andersen No-Sway WDH system uses chains and NO spring bars. :-)