Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I have had an E2 hitch for 6 years with little issues and it does fine with sway control.
It should do fine for about 90% of sway-causing conditions that don't exceed the capabilities of the E2. But for those rare sway-causing conditions that exceed the capabilities of the E2, you want more sway-control capability that the E4 or other high-end WD hitches provide. You have been lucky or smart in not encountering severe sway-causing conditions. But based on the number of TTs with the greasy side up I have seen over the years, others have not been as lucky, or as smart in properly loading the TT, properly adjusting the hitch, and staying off the road during adverse weather conditions.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
I bought my new rig last weekend and specifically requested they install an Equalizer hitch. The salesman said "no problem" and tacked on another $650 which I thought was a good price installed. After wandering their accessory store while waiting, I noticed the only WDH hitch they had on display was the Fastway E2 although they had leaflets advertising the Equalizer.

Sure enough, when we went to do the walkthrough, they had installed the E2. When I pointed this out to the tech, he insisted it WAS an Equalizer. "Look, it says it right there" pointing at the Fastway label!

After discussing with the tech, service manager and the salesman, all of who insisted it WAS an Equalizer, I had them remove it and we towed the 60 miles home without WDH.

I ordered the hitch from Dyers which came on Wednesday. I installed it this weekend. All good except trying to tighten the various bolts to the required torque. It calls for 430 lbs on the ball and 340lbs on the shank bolts. My torque wrench only goes up to 250 lbs but it takes all my strength to get there. I'm no spring chicken any more.
Just to add:

My tow vehicle is a Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with tow package including factory brake controller.

I am VERY impressed with the brake controller. Previously I have only experienced after-market brake controllers.

On my test drive after installing the hitch, a traffic light turned red at just the wrong time. I hit the brakes and the whole outfit stopped perfectly as if a single unit. I know that is how it's supposed to work but I was pleasantly surprised by the complete lack of drama.

The factory controller is proportional to the brake pedal pressure, not reliant on a timer or 'G' sensor as are after-market units.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote