Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
WDH with sway control

I am considering buying a Reese SC weight Dist Hitch model #66155. Does anyone have experience with same and can provide input?
Thanks
motcrew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #2

The Reese Strait line WD hitch with integral cam type sway control (66084) will probably work better. The friction sway control provides a constant resistance to sway, while the cam type strait line system provides variable resistance to sway - the more sideways force on the trailer, the more counteracting force the hitch provides.
archsnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Reese makes at least 4 different prices levels of weight-distributing hitch. Don't even think about the cheap Pro Series. The SC is better, similar in design to an Equal-I-Zer brand WD hitch, but not good enough for me. I insist on at least a Reese Strait-Line hitch. The Strait-line (and the SC) has bed rails on top of the floor of the bed. If you want a clean empty bed when the 5er hitch is not installed, then you want the top-of-the-line Reese Elite hitch, which has under-bed rails.

The Strait-Line hitch is available as either a round-bar design or a trunnion bar design. The round bar design reduces the clearance between the ground and the bottom of the installed round bars, so it's easy to drag the bottom of the hitch on the ground. The trunnion bar hitch has more ground clearance. So order the one with trunnion bars.

Also, the Strait-Line hitch is available with and without the shank. You want the one with the matching shank.

The Strait-Line uses the Reese dual-cam sway control design, which works a bit better than the friction design used by the SC.

And it's available with 600, 800, 1200 and 1500 pound trunnion bars, so order the one that will have more tongue weight capacity than you will ever need. Assume tongue weight of 15% of the GVWR of your heaviest trailer, and order the weight capacity for more than that number. You can adjust the amount of lift a hitch with a high weight capacity has by the number of chain lengths you use when hooking up. But if you have an 800-pound hitch with a 1000 pound tongue load, there is no adjustment you can make to have the hitch handle the higher load. So pay attention to which weight capacity you order.

Arch gave you the part number for the one with the shank and with trunnion bars rated for 1,200 pounds max tongue weight, 66084. That's probably the most popular one for smaller and medium-sized TTs with GVWR up to around 8,000 pounds. Here's a good source:
Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 1,200 lbs TW RP66084
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #4

I have one for sale . I have a 27' Keystone Passport ultra-light and wasn't very comfortable towing with it. Just purchased sway pro by blue ox and there is a big difference. I agree with the other posts as far as better ones out there in my opinion .
silverado07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #5

Question all Sway Pro

I have a Blue Ox Sway Pro one of my Rotating Latches is very hard to move with chain or no chain any comment on how to solve.
Jonnypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #6

how does the hensley or the pro pride stack up against the blue ox and strite line type hitches.

I have read good and bad for all but for the most part many like the hensley when switching from the other types.. less sway at speed but a heavy muther.
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
how does the hensley or the pro pride stack up against the blue ox and strite line type hitches.
The old Hensley Arrow and the new ProPride prevent sway. Period. If you hook them up right, you will never have any sway.

The Reese Strait-Line, Blue Ox, Equal-I-Zer, and Husky CenterLine are a lot less expensive. They all do an excellent job, but you can get some uncontrollable sway under some conditions with any of them. These are the "high end" of the affordable WD hitch class, with MSRP around $1,000, and buying price from discount dealers such as etrailer and Amazon of over $500.

I have a Strait-Line for my cargo trailer, and it works great. But I'm still worried about those unusual conditions that I know can occur, so I have a ProPride for my TT. Wonderful hitch, but yeah, it's heavy. Probably adds 200 pounds altogether to the hitch weight.

I've thought about moving the ProPride from the TT to the cargo trailer when I need to make a long trip with the cargo trailer, but that's a major project that would take me at least a long day to move the hitch from one trailer to another and then adjust it. And then another day to move it back. So I haven't done that yet.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Works great as long as you have a TV with a stiff enough suspension to control the trailer. The wdh is not all you need.