Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

WDH without bulky and heavy ball mount

We currently tow our TT with friction sway control bars but no weight distribution hitch. I am concerned about safety and legal issues of not having a WDH. The owners manual for the Suburban says a WDH should be used towing anything over 5K. The problem is neither my DW or my self can lift the typical ball mount that comes with a WDH nor can we hook up spring bars like with the equalizer hitch. We were looking at the Anderson WDH system but are wondering if there are other systems that might fill our requirements. So far I haven't found any. The other reason I'm looking for alternatives to Anderson is that the owner was recently caught and convicted of defacing public lands by carving on important rock faces.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

The bars are easy to get on the equal-i-zer. Just use the tongue jack to lift the truck up enough then you can just push them right on the brackets no problem. A power tongue jack makes it much easier of course.

Though that hitch head is indeed damn heavy. All WD hitch heads that i've seen are large. At least the quality ones.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #3

One of these help quite a bit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Trailer-...sAAOSwPHxa1hlI

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #4

I'm with you on the weight of the hitches. I have a bad back and hate moving my hitch around. I have an Equal-I-Zer hitch and it is really heavy. I can't help you with the weight, but the one thing I did to help myself a little was mount a 2" receiver on the front of my trailer near the propane tanks. Now I just pull forward a few inches, remove the hitch and bring it back 3 feet to the receiver on the trailer. I still hate moving it that 3 feet, but it is much better than trying to move it into the garage or even lifting it into the back of the truck.

I used a buddies Anderson hitch once mounted to his trailer. I know a lot of people have them, but I didn't like it. I got into a really tight campground once and unlevel site. It was really hard to get hitched back up - I mean really hard. My only experience with it was I couldn't get the angle right to get back together.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

All the quality WD hitches with good built-in sway control are heavy - Reese Strait-Line, Blue Ox SwayPro, Equal-I-Zer, and Husky CenterLine HD 31390.

The head of my Hensley ProPride for the TT is in two parts, so at first I thought that might be an answer for you. The head and sway control apparatus are installed on the trailer tongue, so no need to lift those after they are installed. But the part that goes into the receiver and then includes the adjustable shank and a "stinger" that slides into the head weighs 50 pounds.

The head for my Strait-Line for the cargo trailer, including adjustable shank, ball mount with ball and connections for the spring bars, weighs 35 pounds.

So I don't have a recommendation for you. You don't want a cheap hitch that has inadequate sway control, but shank/ball mount/and head of all the good WD hitches I know about that have good sway control weigh at least 35 pounds.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #6

I have a bad neck, back, and knees and am really unable to lift much any more. On a whim, I bought one of these:

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HSO37B0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524282001&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=orange+hi tch+lift&dpPl=1&dpID=41nqyLJbJyL&ref=plSrch

One of the best RV gadget purchases ever! It does not reduce the weight at all, but does center it under your hand and arm. The hitch is much easier to handle with this.
rampowerwago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

Any chance you'd be ok with leaving it on the truck? Its a bit of an adjustment to keep the extra distance when parking and such to allow for the hitch, but its an option. Lots of pickup owners leave their hitches on the truck full time. I know the WD hitches are going to stick out farther, but if you can't lift it on and off, then this may be the workaround....just leave it on.

Good luck!

Ken
Old 04-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuffmanjr View Post
Any chance you'd be ok with leaving it on the truck? Its a bit of an adjustment to keep the extra distance when parking and such to allow for the hitch, but its an option. Lots of pickup owners leave their hitches on the truck full time. I know the WD hitches are going to stick out farther, but if you can't lift it on and off, then this may be the workaround....just leave it on.

Good luck!

Ken
Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion, I plan on doing just that. My son in law can install it at the beginning of the season and of course take it off in the fall. I have a locking hitch-pin to secure it. What I can't do is lift any weight as far as bars or similar go. My DW will have to do that and she can't deal with the bars like on the Equalizer WDH. They just weigh too much. That's why I thought the Anderson would work but like I said up top I have ethical concerns about buying an Anderson product. Are there WDH's that don't have the heavy bars besides Anderson?
Old 04-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhealy4 View Post
Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion, I plan on doing just that. My son in law can install it at the beginning of the season and of course take it off in the fall. I have a locking hitch-pin to secure it. What I can't do is lift any weight as far as bars or similar go. My DW will have to do that and she can't deal with the bars like on the Equalizer WDH. They just weigh too much. That's why I thought the Anderson would work but like I said up top I have ethical concerns about buying an Anderson product. Are there WDH's that don't have the heavy bars besides Anderson?
Well, if you're a big spender then you might want to watch some videos about the Pro Pride or the Hensley arrow. Since you can leave the hitch head - or in this case it would just be the stinger (just a bar) - installed on the truck throughout the season, hooking up should be pretty easy. One guy in a video I saw just backs into the trailer, wrenches on the levers that cinch the trailer to the truck and then uses a drill to tighten up the WD bars. In the case of the Pro Pride and the Hensley Arrow, the bars stay with the trailer. There is nothing to lift, assuming everything will stay installed throughout the season. Its actually really neat. I just wont spend that money for myself. If it were cheaper, I'd be all over that hitch though.

Let us know what you think. If you want help with some video links, let us know.

Ken
Old 04-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuffmanjr View Post
Well, if you're a big spender then you might want to watch some videos about the Pro Pride or the Hensley arrow. Since you can leave the hitch head - or in this case it would just be the stinger (just a bar) - installed on the truck throughout the season, hooking up should be pretty easy. One guy in a video I saw just backs into the trailer, wrenches on the levers that cinch the trailer to the truck and then uses a drill to tighten up the WD bars. In the case of the Pro Pride and the Hensley Arrow, the bars stay with the trailer. There is nothing to lift, assuming everything will stay installed throughout the season. Its actually really neat. I just wont spend that money for myself. If it were cheaper, I'd be all over that hitch though.

Let us know what you think. If you want help with some video links, let us know.

Ken
Ken, That all looks pretty neat and would solve my problem but you're right about the price, it's way above my tolerance level.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Before leaving your hitch in your truck you might want to consult your local laws. Here the most extreme point your hitch must be less than 9” from the bumper. I’m not sure how stringently it gets enforced though.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhealy4 View Post
Ken, That all looks pretty neat and would solve my problem but you're right about the price, it's way above my tolerance level.
Man its high, isn't it? I sure wish the price was lower.

Well shoot, I guess you just may have to be clever about hooking up then. Use another hitch like the Equal-I-zer or the Blue Ox and like someone else said higher up the thread here, use the tongue jack to raise the the trailer AND truck up to make setting your bars easier...much easier. That sure doesn't help needing to lift the bars in the first place, but maybe the Equalizer bars aren't so heavy?? I feel like the Blue Ox bars on mine are good solid, heavy components but I've not seen the Equalizer in person yet. Maybe its a bit better...

Or, how bout a used or refurbished Pro Pride or Hensley Arrow? Maybe if you call them they have some discounts on returned or re-manufactured items. I've often thought if I could get one of those at about 40% off retail then I would pull the trigger and get one. Maybe they can do just that for you on returned equipment.

As for the Anderson, I'm with you. I don't think we should reward their behavior of late. That said, they may just be the only option for you, specifically. Its a tough call. I don't think I'd fault you for using the one best option in your case. I sure wish there were better options for you!

Ken
Old 04-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
Before leaving your hitch in your truck you might want to consult your local laws. Here the most extreme point your hitch must be less than 9” from the bumper. I’m not sure how stringently it gets enforced though.
I got into to RVing because I wanted to stop reserving rental cars, flights and hotels to get to weekly teaching jobs for the company I contract with. I frequently travel to Ohio, California, Georgia, Maryland, Colorado, etc....and stop everywhere in between on the way. When I leave home, my hitch stays attached. I commute to work while in the town where I'm working and have had zero issues with local LEOs or anyone else regarding the hitch. Your point is interesting though and I will keep it in mind.

You know, if it becomes a problem, you could always just hang a red flag from the hitch. That should satisfy most regulations around the country. What do you think?

Ken

EDIT: Oh, are you in Canada? You guys seem to have bigger government than we do south of the border. I doubt this fellow will have issues keeping his hitch on all season.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It was pointed out to me by another RV’r so I went to the regs and looked. Sure enough it was there. I’ve never heard of anyone being charged for it but here it is the law. I would hope the enforcement officers would use a large amount of discretion when it comes to dealing with it.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote