Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
MDT=Medium Duty Truck. It's what you see on gravel trucks or wreckers.

You may have gotten more than you bargained for, but it's ok. We've got many highly experienced members when it comes to towing. They'll give you great advice & you, your family & those travelling the roads with you will be safe if you follow their recommendations. 6 years ago, I was looking for a truck to pull our then newly purchased 5th wheel. The guys here were the best answering all my questions & we ended up with the best truck for it. The most important thing is to not listen to the salespersons. They'll want to sell you what's on their lot, not what's best (& safest) for you & your family.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #16

AT, In your original post you stated the TT was a 30'. The other posters have been talking about about a 36'+ TT. Now I'm confused. Which is it?. As an example, I tow a 30' TT dry weight 64oo#. The loaded weight is 7500#. My TV is a 2004 Nissan 5.6 L V8 w3.73and with tow package, rated at 9400# and a GVWR of 14000#+. It is a 1/2 Ton truck. Most 1/2 tons won't tow the TT you have I would look for at least a 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
StSgt1, I believe the OP underestimated the size. In post 9 he stated it's a model 312 & if you go on Skyline's website, the Nomad Joey for that model is way bigger than 30 ft. To verify, though, he could go out with a tape measure & actually measure it tongue to tail.

I just HATE the way mfr's number RV's. 312 might lead one to believe it's closer to 31ft, but that just isn't the case. Our previous 5-r was a numbered 286 but it was over 30 ft pin to tail.

Lori-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #18

NLOVINT, Thanks for the clairfication. It's true,Mfg's take liberties in numbering ther rigs. In my case the number is 28RLS, which would indicate the trailer is 28'. But in truth, the total length is 30.5'.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
A T

I understood the trailer is 31 feet, plus just over 4 feet for the hitch. Total overall length of about 36 feet. So would this mean the length is 31 feet or 36? I appreciate all the help..
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #20

An MDT would probably be over kill, but with the length you're looking at the possible Tail waging the dogs and at 11200 gross, that's pretty heavy for D rated tires. On other forums folks are blowing out E rated tires on rigs of that weight. The length is still in question as some Mfr measure from hitch to bumper while other measure the actual living space so the only way to know for sure would be to measure the darn thing.
Looking at the floor plan, I would guess it's 36.5 from hitch to bumper, plus add another foot or so for the receiver gives you approx 38 feet behind your TV
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by A T View Post
I understood the trailer is 31 feet, plus just over 4 feet for the hitch. Total overall length of about 36 feet. So would this mean the length is 31 feet or 36? I appreciate all the help..

You've probably got 31ft of "living space". That's the space inside the RV & it does not include the tongue sticking out the front.

For example, with our previous 5-r the dealer invoice sheet stated it was 28' 0". I found that was the measurement, inside, from the headboard to the front of the rear kitchen counter (not even to the back of the kitchen counter, which was another 18 inches). But from the tip of the kingpin to the spare tire that hung off the rear of the 5-r, it was actually 31' 4-3/4" - which was even different than the brochure stated length of 30' 0".

It seems mfr's like to play games with the numbers & I feel they do this (with TT's & 5-r's) to make their units appear to be towable with smaller trucks.

Like I stated above, if you want to know exactly how long your TT is, take a tape measure & measure the FULL length... from tongue tip to the bumper at the tail. And, take into consideration your tow vehicle's hitch if you're wanting to know overall length of your TT plus tow vehicle. As mhs4771 said, that's a few MORE inches to account for.

Lori-
Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #22
A T

We haven't taken delivery yet, not until mid March, so unfortunately, I cannot physically measure it.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
How far are you away from it? Can you make a trip to measure it? I think it would be advisable in order to know just what you're dealing with. Don't rely on the seller (dealer?) to do it for you & as evidenced by me, even brochure lengths can be off.

Lori-
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #24

AT, if you have the 5er's GVW and pin weight at GVW in hand. you may use one of theses online 5th wheel calculators to properly and accurately determine the size tow vehicle it requires. Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator
Tow Vehicle/Trailer Calculations Demonstrator
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
AT, if you have the 5er's GVW and pin weight at GVW in hand.
Unless he states otherwise, I think we're using what I posted in #10 gotten from the website brochure. It's a TT, not a 5-r & he hasn't taken delivery yet (post #22)

Lori-
Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #26
A T

NLOVNIT is correct, it is a TT, not a 5er, and I won't be able to get my hands on it until March.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
MDT is a Medium Duty Truck - great if you have a large 5th wheel to tote and don't need much extra cab space - which you do. Yes you do have a long long trailer, even with a 20' van you are looking at over 50' of van and TT going down the road, not to mention at least 14,000 lbs (maybe closer to 16,000 lbs) total weight and while 32' is not impossible to manage, it will take much practice to back and you will have to realize that you will not be able to fit in many sites - except at larger resort style parks.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #28

2500 Suburban will probably not suffice unless it's a pre 2008 with the 8100 Big Block and 4:10 rear. Otherwise you'll need the diesel Expedition or 1 ton van. Your GVW is close to mine and I have a Duramax equipped 2500HD. Too bad GM reneged on their Duramax 'Burban, it would be ideal.

Rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote