Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #1

Weigh safe hitch

I just happened to walk by a truck yesterday and saw this.
https://www.weigh-safe.com/

It's probably been discussed here before but it caught my eye and peaked my interest.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #2

Interesting my Google news feed had this as an ad. Probably a great idea for a short time. Like 25 campers should by 1 and share the costs...lol.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I just happened to walk by a truck yesterday and saw this.
https://www.weigh-safe.com/

It's probably been discussed here before but it caught my eye and peaked my interest.
Good idea for a weight-carrying (WC) hitch. Or to use as a tongue weight (TW) scale, then remove it and install the weight-distributing (WD) hitch head/ball mount for any TW over 500 pounds.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pretty fancy but useless for towing travel trailers.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Pretty fancy but useless for towing travel trailers.
That's true but some of us with trucks have other trailers which don't have weight distributing hitches.
Lynn
Old 04-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #6

I have used them a few times, they are pretty convenient. I have a ball hitch scale but these are soo much easier to use. I am going to buy one to use with my utility trailer.
24shofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #7

I think setting the tongue weight scale on a concrete block and lowering the tongue jack is easy enough. My current one was for my no sold 5x8 cargo trailer with a pair of Trojan T-105 batteries and a propane bottle on the front wall. I needed to make sure my tongue weight stayed under 300 pounds for my 350 pound hitch on my old Highlander. My newer one was rated for 500 pounds so I stopped worrying about it.

I will buy 2000 pound version to use with my new Arctic Fox 22G. I want to be sure that I have a tongue weight in the 13-15% range once loaded up. At a cost of about $150 it is a useful tool to keep your tongue weight ratio in the safe zone.
astrocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #8

I ordered the weight safe tow ball and scale. After the item was delivered. I went to my storage place and weight the tongue of my travel trailer. I followed the install instructions to install the weigh safe tow ball and scale. According to that picture, my tongue weight is 700lbs. That is with dishes, silverware, all the sheets, and other required things for a travel trailer. That 700lbs is under the stated dry tongue weight, in the brochure. Which that means the trailer weighs less than the stated dry weight even with some things loaded in it.

AluckeClick image for larger version

Name:	P_20200530_154828.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	287614
alucke72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Every trailer I have ever seen weighs more empty that the brochure dry weight. I would double check with a CAT scale before I put much stock in it.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucke72 View Post
I ordered the weight safe tow ball and scale. After the item was delivered. I went to my storage place and weight the tongue of my travel trailer. I followed the install instructions to install the weigh safe tow ball and scale. According to that picture, my tongue weight is 700lbs. That is with dishes, silverware, all the sheets, and other required things for a travel trailer. That 700lbs is under the stated dry tongue weight, in the brochure. Which that means the trailer weighs less than the stated dry weight even with some things loaded in it.

AluckeAttachment 287614
It's not impossible depending on trailer configuration. If most of the weight is loaded aft of the trailer axles you are reducing tongue weight. Rear kitchen trailers can do that. Rear storage compartments, add-on rear trailer racks and cargo boxes can drastically reduce tongue weight if loaded up. Some water tanks can be rear mounted, and full tanks get heavy fast.

Toy haulers with a vehicle loaded generally reduce tongue weight by a large margin.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:21 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can see this being helpful towing a toy hauler where the tongue weight will vary with load and might get too low (low tongue weight makes for an unstable rig).
I wish this were available 10 years ago. My problem was a horse trailer with a high tongue weight that changed with the weight, position, and number of horses. I got a sherline tongue weight scale but never felt safe loading horses with the trailer tongue resting on the sherline (or trailer jack) and just wheel chocks to hold it steady.

https://www.sherline.com/product/she...-weight-scale/

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:22 AM   #12

I had a friend, with a sherline tongue scale, come with me this morning. My 31ft bunkhouse with kitchen slide, us packed with all cooking,eating utensils, clothes, towels, bathing/shower/bathroom supplies, sheets, black/grey tanks treatments, and supplies for leveling, hooking the trailer up at the campground. We weighed it with the weigh safe universal tow ball/scale, it showed 700lbs. We also weighed the tongue with the sherline tongue weight scale, and came up with the same exact 700lbs. And if you zoom in the pic, and look at the tongue weight for the T28BHKS on the right. It will show a tongue weight of 752lbs, and dry weigh of 5296lbs. My trailer is pretty much stock. So I am totally and utterly confused.Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20200531_101542_1736117893835283991.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	287663
alucke72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucke72 View Post
I had a friend, with a sherline tongue scale, come with me this morning. My 31ft bunkhouse with kitchen slide, us packed with all cooking,eating utensils, clothes, towels, bathing/shower/bathroom supplies, sheets, black/grey tanks treatments, and supplies for leveling, hooking the trailer up at the campground. We weighed it with the weigh safe universal tow ball/scale, it showed 700lbs. We also weighed the tongue with the sherline tongue weight scale, and came up with the same exact 700lbs. And if you zoom in the pic, and look at the tongue weight for the T28BHKS on the right. It will show a tongue weight of 752lbs, and dry weigh of 5296lbs. My trailer is pretty much stock. So I am totally and utterly confused.Attachment 287663
I can't make out all the #s but I think I can make out the layout of your unit. I does look like all the heavy stuff is loaded at the rear, but I cannot see the cabinet and interior storages either. Loading 500lbs of stuff at the rear of the trailer can seriously lower tongue weight. I think getting a clearer picture by weighing the entire unit and truck at scales could help.

There really doesn't seem like much in the font of your trailer. A bed and some clothes doesn't load up nearly as heavy as dishes, pots and pans, food and liquids and possibly the water tanks too deppending where they are placed.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:21 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anything you put behind your axles will reduce the tongue weight. You didn’t mention water in the holding tanks, or the tank location.
You want to keep the tongue weight high enough (usually at 10-12% of actual weight) to minimize trailer sway. Too little tongue weight will cause more trailer sway. There are many other threads on IRV2 that cover this if you need more info.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote