Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #15

Hi Smokey,

How well does the Ecoboost do while towing? Have you had a chance to check the towing MPG? I considered trading my V10 for a 2012 Ecoboost but I didn't want to spend as much as they wanted. I don't think the dealer really wanted my V10 since 4 of them in the area was considered an 80 day supply.

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smokey, how does it feel to be driving a truck with spark plugs?????

Ken

Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncie_6spd View Post
How well does the Ecoboost do while towing?
I haven't towed much yet. I towed The Joey 20 miles from the RV store to home empty. Then I towed it 60 miles round trip to the CAT scale to get the numbers in the first post in this thread. The F-150 EcoBoost had no problems with the Joey, but you could definitely tell is was dragging some wind.

Our first long trip is planned for around Memorial Day weekend. We'll travel to to Knoxville TN, then to Detroit, then to home in west Texas. After that trip I should know if I made a mistake in thinking an F-150 with an 8,000 pound tow rating can easily tow a TT that has a GVWR of 5,600 pounds. No real mountains on that trip except some bumps in the road in Tennessee, so we won't know how it does in real mountains until we visit friends and family in Colorado, Idaho, and Washington State later in the year.

Quote:
Have you had a chance to check the towing MPG?
Only with the computer MPG gauge in the Lariat. According to that, it gets around 10 MPG at about 62 MPH, then falls fast to about 8 MPG as speed increases to what used to be the local crusing speed of 74 MPH. My 1999.5 7.3L Powerstroke dragging my 8,000 pound mid-profile 5er got about 12 MPG at 62 MPH and 9 or 10 MPG at 74 MPH. So the EcoBoost will tow, but not nearly as good as a Powerstoke.

I say "used to be" local cruising speed because Texas finally got around to changing the speed limit signs on the interstate to 75 MPH, and the local average immediately jumped to 79 MPH. The law changed effective September 1, 2011, but the highway department took 7 months to change the signs.

I ordered the 3.15 axle ratio go get better unloaded MPG, knowing it would hurt towing MPG. But so far the unloaded MPG is only about 15 MPG, so once again my Ford seems to get about the worse MPG of anybody that reports MPG on these Forums. My Powerstroke got 15 unloaded when everyone else was getting 17 to 20 (they claimed).
Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Smokey, how does it feel to be driving a truck with spark plugs?????
It's a much nicer "car" than my Powerstroke. But whether it will be as good a truck remains to be seen. We bought it to replace a 2009 Honda Odyssey used primarily for long highway trips, with only occasional towing of a 7,000-pound cargo trailer to El Paso and back. But then we decided we really prefer to have out pottie with us on those long trips, so we ordered the Joey. So now it must replace not only the Odyssey but also the '99.5 diesel hot rod towing machine we sold earlier. We'll see how it does.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I ordered the 3.15 axle ratio go get better unloaded MPG, knowing it would hurt towing MPG. But so far the unloaded MPG is only about 15 MPG, so once again my Ford seems to get about the worse MPG of anybody that reports MPG on these Forums. My Powerstroke got 15 unloaded when everyone else was getting 17 to 20 (they claimed).
I hope it improves; I've also seen wide variations in MPG for the Ecoboost on the FTE forum, most are happy with the results though.
My old 2000 Powerstroke averaged 17 most of the time and on one unloaded trip got to 19.9 mpg. Towing my 8000# GVWR 5er or my 5000# boat would result in about 10 mpg towing. It was a 2wd with 6spd manual and 3.73 gears. This V10 is averaging 10-12 non-towing and 8-9 towing so far. I miss my old 7.3.

Good luck, have a safe trip up north and keep us posted on your mpg results.

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Something is fishy. Does GM require the 5er hitch to be located so the center of the kingpin is 2" to 4" in front of the center of the rear axle? That is the industry standard. But if you are hitting the front GAWR before you hit the GVWR of the truck, then your hitch is apparently mounted too far back in the bed. Or else GM has some really goofy GAWRs.
Itís becoming apparent you havenít checked any of the installation paperwork provided by the vehicle manufacturer or the hitch builder.

If you wish to continue with this conversation start a new thread. This fellow here wants to know about his Ford.

3665RE
Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #21

So, how did things turn out on the first long trip? Nail down the scale numbers and WDH as wanted?
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
It's a much nicer "car" than my Powerstroke. But whether it will be as good a truck remains to be seen. We bought it to replace a 2009 Honda Odyssey used primarily for long highway trips, with only occasional towing of a 7,000-pound cargo trailer to El Paso and back. But then we decided we really prefer to have out pottie with us on those long trips, so we ordered the Joey. So now it must replace not only the Odyssey but also the '99.5 diesel hot rod towing machine we sold earlier. We'll see how it does.
The Ody has a towing rating of 3,500#'s!!! You were double it's towing rating.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post
So, how did things turn out on the first long trip? Nail down the scale numbers and WDH as wanted?
Near the beginning of the trip at a truckstop in Sweetwater, TX:
3360 lb front axle
3840 rear axle
-----------
7200 GVW is right on the GVWR of 7,200
4220 trailer axles
-------
11,420 GCW is way below the 14k GCWR
=======

Total trip 3,846 miles used 412.221 gallons of regular so average MPG 9.33, almost all miles at 65 MPH. Total cost of gas was $1,426.19. I was hoping for more than 10 MPG, but 9.33 ain't too bad. Microsoft Notepad txt doc with details attached - you need to add a tab before some of the numbers in the first column to get the columns to allign properly.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Canadatrip_2012.txt.txt (2.4 KB, 31 views)
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #24

37-cpm fuel cost for a rig like that seems spot on (at that general speed) with $3.5/gl gasoline.

I'm assuming that with no comment otherwise (can't open doc provided; my computer, not your doc.) that the rig performed to expectations.

Haven't been to the T/A in Sweetwater in quite a few years now. Used to have customers in that town (and surrounding region). Enjoyed comparing who had the best chicken fried steak and a joint in Haslet came closest IMO. (Note: a dish not to buy south of San Antonio).

Thanks for the update.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post
(can't open doc provided; my computer, not your doc.)
Did you try right-clicking on the link, then "save as" a txt document? Then open the document with Notepad or Wordpad or even Word?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #26

Hey SmokeyWren
When you crossed at Port Huron you where right in my backyard
I am about 30 minutes south of the BW bridge
Keep us updated on the Ecoboost Truck
Thinking that will be my next truck long as they hold together!
The Ranger is capable of towing the trailer we have BUT Too close on the GCWR for my taste but we will be doing the back roads for now and not too much until we get the new truck!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Hey SmokeyWren
When you crossed at Port Huron you where right in my backyard
I am about 30 minutes south of the BW bridge
We visted member Groveite, who lives on the beach in Brights Grove, Sarnia.
iRV2 Forums - View Profile: Groveite - then click on "About me" to see his profile.

We had F-250 diesels for several years at about the same time, then he changed to F-150 EcoBoost in 2011 and I followed in 2012. He has drug his 7,000-pound TT to South Carolina, to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, and to our house a coupla hours from Carlsbad. So he has lots of towing experience with his 2011 EcoBoost. Look him up and get to know him.

Tags
cat