Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #1

Weight distribution

Hello, I have a TT with a GVWR of 5300lbs and my TV is a 2010 Dodge Ram with a tow capacity of 8250lbs. My question is, do I require a weight distribution hitch and a sway bar? I towed it home without one and it seamed to tow fine. Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
AirZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The short answer is YES. The WD hitch will transfer some of the weight to the front of the truck, make it steer better and also ride better. A sway control is a definite requirement in my opinion.

A good hitch for your size rig is the Reese Dual Cam HP Straightline. It is a combination weight distributing and sway control.
http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...ID=1655&part=0

The Dual Cam is not favored by a lot of dealers as it is a bit more trouble to install and set up.

I am surprised that the dealer did not insist you have a WD hitch.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree X 3 mainly for the safety factor
Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Almost all towing experts say you need a weight-distributing hitch (with sway control) for any trailer that weighs more than about 3,500 pounds. Ford says any trailer that weighs more than 5,000 pounds requires either a fifth-wheel or WD hitch.

So yes, you definitely need a weight-distributing hitch for your TT. There are cheap WD hitches, medium-priced WD hitches, and wonderful but expensive WD hitches that guarantee no sway.

Reese/Drawtite sells cheap hitches as well as good WD hitches. The Eaz-Lift is a cheap WD hitch that some folks like.
Trailer hitch - EAZ-LIFT Weight Distribution Hitches on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Much better is the Reese Dual-Cam Strait-Line WD hitch. It costs about twice as much as the cheaper WD hitches, but it does a good job of distributing weight as well as controlling trailer sway.
Hitch and Sway Bars Combination on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

But even the Strait-Line is not perfect. Under extreme conditions you can still go into an uncontrollable sway. If you've ever had a trailer go into an uncontrollable sway, then you'll pay the big bucks to be certain it never happens again. For those folks, there is the ProPride hitch - guaranteed no sway. But it costs about three times the cost of a Reese Dual Cam Strait-Line. I have the Strait-Line now, but I'm saving my sheckles so I can replace it with a ProPride soon.
Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #5

Wow, the pro pride is 10X what I paid for my EAZ -Lift which seems adequate for the job!!
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #6

Adequate is the operative word here; for more than adequate, ProPride.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Too often, people use an expensive hitch to cover up a problem rather than fix the root cause of the problem. You need to start with getting the right amount of weight on the hitch and setting the truck and trailer level.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 11-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #8

I wish someone would have a seminar on hitches. Its hard to see the huge difference in what I have and the high dollar hitches from just a picture or description. I can see that a better made hitch might last longer than mine. Besides, this is the only weight distribution hitch I have ever towed with, and ignorance is bliss, right?
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hensley and Propride both have a description on how their hitch works.

The mechanics of hitches and sway control is a pretty involved subject. It would be interesting to do a short seminar on weight distribution and sway control.

I would be willing to do a presentation and round table discussion at one of the Texas Boomers rallies provided I got some help on the Propride and/or Hensley Arrow.

Any volunteers to help?

Ken
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #10

You will not want sway control for how YOU drive. You will want sway control for all the 18 wheelers that go whizzing by you and for the high wind current advisory signs you might see right before you embark on big open valley in the mountains. Pucker factor..

Heres what I have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31390_completehitch.png
Views:	83
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	28804  
Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
I was alerted to this thread by one of my customers because I was talking about doing a webinar (seminar on the web) to discuss hitches.

Would you all be interested in logging in for that if I set one up?
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff
I was alerted to this thread by one of my customers because I was talking about doing a webinar (seminar on the web) to discuss hitches.

Would you all be interested in logging in for that if I set one up?
I would be VERY interested, count me in.
AirZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Is this the Sean from Propride ?

I have one of your great hitches in the garage...

First thing I got even before I signed for the TT...
but alas, momma wanted that fifth wheel so we traded the TT in 3 weeks after we bought it (for what we paid for it too) want to buy the propride back ?

I can attest that even 65 mph on I-35 in 30 mph cross winds in the rain tracked straight and true when the large cars went by me !
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #14

Should be the same Sean.
By the way, if you have his hitch in storage, you are missing the chance to resell it--they are in demand. Are you going to get another TT? If not, why keep it?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote