Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Nonsense.

A WD hitch removes weight from the rear axle and distributes that weight to the front and trailer axles.

An ideal weight distribution with a properly-adjusted WD hitch would be 20% to 25% of hitch weight distributed to the trailer axles and another 20% to 25% of hitch weight distributed to the front axle. That leaves 50% to 60% of hitch weight on the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

Play with semantics all you please, but that's weight distribution. That's why the trailer hitch industry calls it a weight-distribution hitch. If you don't call that weight distribution, what do you call it?

Example from my rig when first setting up my hitch:

1] Spring bars not tight, so no weight distribution happening:

F = 3040 (front axle)
R = 3880 (rear axle)
T = 3480 (trailer axles)
C = 10,400 (combined)

2] Spring bars tightened

F = 3280
R = 3520
T =3620
C =10,420

3] Difference

F = 240 heavier
R = 360 lighter
T = 140 heavier
C = 20# scale error due to rounding of weights on the 3 scale pads

Notice that was the first shot at adjusting the WD hitch. Too much weight distributed to the front axle, although the weight distributed to the trailer ales was close to perfect. So the next step is to adjust the angle of the coupler to the ball to distribute less weight to the front axle while leaving the weight distributed to the trailer axles alone.
Nonsense?
What you describe is the effect of torsion, hence the need for torsion bars for your WD hitch. Without those bars, you have no WD. What more proof is needed?

Sorry, mate, but you cannot escape physics. What laymen call weight is a force resulting from mass in a gravitational field. On earth, this is calculated as: weight = mass x gravity. This is why you "weigh" less on the moon, though your mass is the same. On earth, gravity is a constant, thus weight = mass.

Thus, if you want to "distribute" weight, you must distribute mass, physically. A WD cannot do this. Again, all the mass sits at the hitch point, and is not physically distributed. A WD applies torsion: which can give the appearance of weight being shifted, because your truck has a suspension, and for that reason only.

This leads to a discussion of mechanics, levers, vectors, etc, which is too long for this forum. Example: F = mLa(sine*).

The hitch is called WD as a way to market it to the 99% of people who have no comprehension of physics. Face it; who liked physics at school? Tell me honestly: do you refer to gravity as a force, ie "the force of gravity"? If you do, you are dead wrong.

More honest manufacturers do use the word "tork" in their labels, thus retaining some factual connection to the force of torsion. An honest label for a WD would be "torsion hitch", which is precisely what such hitch does: apply torsion.

I am not attempting to stoke fires, only attempting to describe how people are being duped by marketers. If you are happy with your WD, great. But such WD can lead to many problems, as I have experienced directly.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

We will agree to disagree on semantics. My WD hitches distribute hitch weight off the rear axle and onto the front and trailer axles. To me, that's a weight-distributing hitch.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
Nonsense?
What you describe is the effect of torsion, hence the need for torsion bars for your WD hitch. Without those bars, you have no WD. What more proof is needed?

Sorry, mate, but you cannot escape physics. What laymen call weight is a force resulting from mass in a gravitational field. On earth, this is calculated as: weight = mass x gravity. This is why you "weigh" less on the moon, though your mass is the same. On earth, gravity is a constant, thus weight = mass.

Thus, if you want to "distribute" weight, you must distribute mass, physically. A WD cannot do this. Again, all the mass sits at the hitch point, and is not physically distributed. A WD applies torsion: which can give the appearance of weight being shifted, because your truck has a suspension, and for that reason only.

This leads to a discussion of mechanics, levers, vectors, etc, which is too long for this forum. Example: F = mLa(sine*).

The hitch is called WD as a way to market it to the 99% of people who have no comprehension of physics. Face it; who liked physics at school? Tell me honestly: do you refer to gravity as a force, ie "the force of gravity"? If you do, you are dead wrong.

More honest manufacturers do use the word "tork" in their labels, thus retaining some factual connection to the force of torsion. An honest label for a WD would be "torsion hitch", which is precisely what such hitch does: apply torsion.

I am not attempting to stoke fires, only attempting to describe how people are being duped by marketers. If you are happy with your WD, great. But such WD can lead to many problems, as I have experienced directly.
My take on this: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gobbledygook
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, weight