Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Weight distribution and leveling

So got my first trailer big enough for a weight distribution. I have an equalizer now. Just picked up the trailer. When I level the trailer side to side should i disconnect the load bars before doing this? So find my spot. Put down my leveling stuff then disconnect the bars then pull up the trailer? Concerned with trying to release the bars of the trailer is not level with the tow vehicle. Perhaps im overthing thinking it.

Any help appreciated.

AJ
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The w/d hitch is for transfering weight away from the hitch so it should not be a factor in left to right leveling as long as your TV is relatively in line with the trailer.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #3

When you back into your site, first level your TT side to side by driving up on your blocks or whatever you use. Once level side to side, chock your trailer wheels. Then what I do is lift the tongue up to take weight off the bars, then pull and store the bars. Lower the tongue and release the coupler latch. Now raise the tongue again until the coupler clears the ball. Disconnect the trailer pigtail and break away cable. Drive TV forward away from the trailer. Now level the trailer front to back using the tongue jack and your stabilizer jacks. Crack open a beer BEFORE you do anything else. Have fun.

You DO have an electric tongue jack?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
When you back into your site, first level your TT side to side by driving up on your blocks or whatever you use. Once level side to side, chock your trailer wheels. Then what I do is lift the tongue up to take weight off the bars, then pull and store the bars. Lower the tongue and release the coupler latch. Now raise the tongue again until the coupler clears the ball. Disconnect the trailer pigtail and break away cable. Drive TV forward away from the trailer. Now level the trailer front to back using the tongue jack and your stabilizer jacks. Crack open a beer BEFORE you do anything else. Have fun.

You DO have an electric tongue jack?

x2 - follow this and you will be doing it right.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #5

Thanks guys. This trailer has a manual lift but im on the fence on a 12volt one.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #6

https://www.barkermfg.com/vip-3000.html
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #7

Get a Barker jack--you will soon wonder how you did without it...gives you time for more beers.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
You're gonna need more beer since you forgot the safety chains.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
You're gonna need more beer since you forgot the safety chains.
Yep LOL..........
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #10

I do what Cruz does with my E4
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #11

Yeah, raise the front of the trailer up to take the load off the bars so you can release them easier. Then you have to lower the front again to unhook the ball. Then up again to move the tow vehicle. Then usually down again to level front to back. The closer you get to retirement age, the more imperative it is to get the Barker jack.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansson View Post
When I level the trailer side to side should i disconnect the load bars before doing this?
It doesn't matter. It won't hurt anything, but not necessary. I usually follow cruzbill's procedure.

First step is to locate the trailer on the approximate spot where it will be parked. Then use a 4-foot carpenter's level on the floor of the trailer to check the level side to side. If it's not already level side to side, then use leveling blocks under the tires to level the trailer side to side.
FasTen RV Leveling Blocks w/ Carrying Handle - 8-1/2" x 8-1/2" - Yellow
Then disconnect the spring bars and the coupler.

Then use the tongue jack on a TT to level the trailer front to rear. You don't need an electric tongue jack. I've never had an electric tongue jack on any of my "bumper-pull" trailers.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #13

I bought the andersen leveling ramps so basically just drive forward/backwards until its level. Its a two person job someone has to stand by the trailer with a level and be in communications with the driver to tell them to stop when it gets level.

https://youtu.be/b4JQV15VzBc
Old 03-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #14

Or for almost half the price of a Barker...
RAM EJ-3520-BBX 3,500 lb. Electric Trailer Jack with Drop Leg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LDS3KWM..._gmh1ybHBB1JV8
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, weight