Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Weight distribution bars

I have a terrible sound coming from my WTB when I pull my TT. I had my wife pull up and backwards slowly so I could see where the noise is coming from. Is this normal or is there something I need to adjust for example the links on the chain. What's the golden rule for amount of links to leave open? My bars seem to be parallel with the tongue as I am told that's how it's suppose to be. I have a Reese WTB system.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1406245964.526279.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	774.4 KB
ID:	68960

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Years ago, I had TT and yes the weight distribution hitch I used made quite a bit of noise. I adjusted mine so the tow vehicle was basically level. Your pic looks about right to me.....

2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

Thanks. I have 3 links left hanging and if memory serves me correctly I was told 2 left was the golden rule. I was thinking about changing it to 2 and see what happens.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the tail wags the dog then you have probably gone to far.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #5

Did you grease the ball and the bar ends?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They make noise. Some are REAL loud. I have a TT with Equilizer hitch and it sounds like it is coming apart when I turn. It drives great when straight so I like it.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

No I don't have any grease but after researching online that's what I found to do also. What type of grease do you recommend?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #8

I use CRC True Tap HD Cutting Fluid - I didn't buy this specifically for use with the hitch, but I had some and it matched the properties of the lubricant Reese recommends for the nubs on end of the trunion bars and for the ball itself. My hitch doesn't squeak during low speed turns in the campground or gas stations. My Reese hitch manual has a note to lubricate the WD hitch each day of towing if you're traveling for multiple days.

My Reese hitch manual indicates that a minimum of five chain links should be between the end of the bar and the clip on the trailer frame. In the photo above you currently have 6 full links, so you could shorten by one link an be within the guidelines.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The number of chain lengths you use on a Reese weight-distributing hitch depends on other adjustments. Provided the floor of the trailer was level front to rear before you hooked up, and provided the angle of the ball to the shank is correct per Reese install instructions, then you can go by the Reese rules for how many chain lengths to use.

But don't use the number of chain lengths as the final rule. You want the hitch tightened enough that the trailer floor is level front to rear when the chains are tightened. If you notice a tendency for the tow vehicle to spin the back tires instead of going on, then you have the chains too tight, so back off one chain length. If the front of the trailer is too low, you probably need to tighten up another chain length.

After you have the hitch adjusted to where you think it is right, then the next step is to weigh the rig twice on a CAT scale. Once without the spring bars tightened and once with the spring bars tightened. You also need to know the actual wet and loaded tongue weight.

The best way to get the actual tongue weight is by using a tongue weight scale, such as the Sherline Tongue Weight Scale:
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780

If you don't want to invest in your own tongue weight scale, then you can determine actual tongue weight by weighing the wet and loaded tow vehicle without the trailer tied on. Subtract the weight of the truck from the weight of the truck with trailer but without the spring bars tightened. That will give you within a few pounds of your actual tongue weight. (CAT scales are not accurate to closer than about 20 to 50 pounds gross weight.)

Then compute the change in tongue weight percent on the axles of the rig. A perfectly adjusted WD hitch should result in
20% to 25% of the tongue weight being distributed to the front axle of the tow vehicle,
20% to 25% of the tongue weight being distributed to the trailer axles, and
50% to 60% of the tongue weight remaining on the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

If too much weight is being removed from the rear axle, back off one chain length. If not enough weight is being removed from the rear axle, tighten up one chain length.

Then adjust the angle of the ball to the shank until both front axle and trailer axles have about the same percent of the tongue weight, while the rear axle continues to carry 50% to 60% of the total tongue weight.

Yes, it takes a lot of trips across the CAT scale to get it dialed in just right. But you'll be proud of yourself when you get it right.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:06 AM   #10

To gain a basic understanding of how a weight distribution hitch should be set up read the set up instructions for the Equai-zer model and you will learn the proper techniques. These hitches are not set up by eye or what some one thinks might be right. There is a lot of incorrect info out there. Learn the correct method to protect yourself, your family and others on the road.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #11

I bought some white lithium grease and applied and was very satisfied with the outcome. It reduced the awful noise when turning at a slow speed down to only very slight sounds I heard only twice.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #12

My Reese hitch has the cams on both side for the w d bars. Makes a big difference

Tags
weight