Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

The max tow pkg is only available with 2011-up models that have the EcoBoost engine. It won't be on a 2010 5.4L, and you won't have enough payload capacity to tow a TT that grosses more than about 5,000 pounds. Max tow adds 500 pounds available payload capacity for hitch weight, so the max trailer weight increases by about 3,000 pounds to around 8,000. That 5,000 and 8,000 max trailer weights are the real maximums based on GVWR, and not the wildy overestimated "tow rating" published by Ford that is based on GCWR and ignores hitch weight.

Looking at used F-150s for around $33k is not a good idea. Pickups hold their value, so depreciate slowly. You'd be much better off to order a brand new 2014 and wait for it to be delivered in late August.

Here's the specs to one that can be bought for a hair over $33k. These are 2013 prices, so they may go up a few hundred for a 2014 model

F-150 SuperCrew: I couldn't spec a SuperCab with EcoBoost engine and max tow pkg on Ford.com, but I'm sure it's available for a little less money

EcoBoost Engine, (required to get max tow, and you want that twin-turbo wonder of an engine anyway)

6.5' box, (Shorty 5.5' box not available with max tow or HD payload)

3.73 LS axle, (required to get HD payload pkg and max tow pkg)

4x2 (a lot less money than 4x4, and no, you don't need 4x4)

XL trim with 101A trim pkg gives you just about everything the XLT trim has for a lot less money.

With the above specs, you also get the following added automagically by Ford's computer:

HD payload pkg = 8,200 GVWR (because of the 3.73LS axle)

Max tow pkg = tow mirrors, trailer brake controller + regular tow pkg of hitch receiver, tranny cooling, etc. (because of the 3.73 axle ratio)

The 101A trim pkg includes all of the following:

Power Equipment group = (power everything)

XL Plus pkg includes cruise control

XL Décor pkg includes the cloth seats from an XLT, and chrome bumpers (instead of painted). Vinyl "work truck" seats are a no-cost option if you don't want the nice cloth seats.

Communications pkg (includes Sync and Bluetooth - Darling Wife loves this with her I-Phone)

MSRP $37,360 for 2013 model
Invoice $34,407

KBB "fair price" $34, 931 ($524 over invoice. Almost any dealer will order you a new F-150 for $500 over invoice with very little negotiation if you deal only with a manager such as the Fleet manager.) And you might even find one like that in stock you can drive in June, but not likely. My daughter's dealer recently searched the nation to find a 2013 with HD Payload Pkg, and there were none in captivity. She wound up with an F-250 XL with 6.2L engine but without the 101A trim pkg. Her hubby is used to driving plain-Jane vehicles without power anything, so he's happy with his new pickup.

That's for a brand new 2013 SuperCrew, your choice of paint color, with nice interior, wonderful engine, tow mirrors and trailer brake controller, power everything, cruise control, and enough payload capacity to handle a TT that grosses up to around 9,000 pounds (Ford's optimistic tow rating over 11,000 pounds). Why pay almost that much for someone else's reject? Granted, the 2014 will probably be a few hundred higher, and it's too late to order a new 2013 now, but then before summer's over you'd have the first 2014 in your neighborhood.

You can add other options, even 4x4, fancier trim, but be careful that any change you make to the above specs does not change the engine or the rear axle ratio, else you won't get the max tow pkg.

Note that another reason for buying a new one is the interest rate for a new pickup is usually less than for a used one. You might even buy a new F-150 for $35k and no higher payments than for a used one for $33k.
Smoke, so I have decided between 2013 lariat or fx4x4. I drove the xlt with max tow, 36 gallon tank. I was ok, reminds me of my 1999 xlt. The wife likes the console in both lariat and fx4. Bothe are white, hid, hd tow package, and both have short box.
Smoke hers my question, lariat has 3:31 axle vs. fx4 has 3:73, both elect lock rears. One is 4 wheel, other is 2 wheel. Bothe have 20s for wheels. The window sticker shows lariat at 7350 gvw and fx4 shows 7780. What do think for towing my 3960lb tt. I will not pull anything different, just looking at better hwy mpg,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Smoke, so I have decided between 2013 lariat or fx4x4. I drove the xlt with max tow, 36 gallon tank. I was ok, reminds me of my 1999 xlt. The wife likes the console in both lariat and fx4. Bothe are white, hid, hd tow package, and both have short box.Smoke hers my question, lariat has 3:31 axle vs. fx4 has 3:73, both elect lock rears. One is 4 wheel, other is 2 wheel. Bothe have 20s for wheels. The window sticker shows lariat at 7350 gvw and fx4 shows 7780.
If the Lariat has 3.31 axle, then it does not have the max tow pkg, therefore it does not have tow mirrors or std trailer brake controller.

The FX4 does have the max tow pkg with tow mirrors and trailer brake controller, along with 430 pounds more GVWR. You need all that, so if those two pickups are your only choices, then go with the FX4.

Quote:
What do think for towing my 3960lb tt. I will not pull anything different, just looking at better hwy mpg,
You damn sure don't need 20" wheels, and you probably don't need 4x4. Both those will cost you MPG. I'd have my dealerperson do a "dealer locate" for a 4x2 with 18" wheels as well as the 3.73 e-locker diff which comes with the max tow pkg. Whether FX2 or Lariat trim is up to you. We love our Lariat 4x2 with the Lariat Plus pkg, but we could probably "make do" with an FX2 if the price was a problem.

One problem with an FX2 or Lariat 4x2 with the EcoBoost engine is you get a 26-gallon gas tank. So on towing trips, you have to begin looking for a gas station after about 200 miles. So last week I had my 26-gallon tank replaced with the 36-gallon tank from a 4x4. So now I can go about 300 miles before I have to begin looking for a gas station. But the mod cost me over $1,400 out the door.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

If the Lariat has 3.31 axle, then it does not have the max tow pkg, therefore it does not have tow mirrors or std trailer brake controller.

The FX4 does have the max tow pkg with tow mirrors and trailer brake controller, along with 430 pounds more GVWR. You need all that, so if those two pickups are your only choices, then go with the FX4.

You damn sure don't need 20" wheels, and you probably don't need 4x4. Both those will cost you MPG. I'd have my dealerperson do a "dealer locate" for a 4x2 with 18" wheels as well as the 3.73 e-locker diff which comes with the max tow pkg. Whether FX2 or Lariat trim is up to you. We love our Lariat 4x2 with the Lariat Plus pkg, but we could probably "make do" with an FX2 if the price was a problem.

One problem with an FX2 or Lariat 4x2 with the EcoBoost engine is you get a 26-gallon gas tank. So on towing trips, you have to begin looking for a gas station after about 200 miles. So last week I had my 26-gallon tank replaced with the 36-gallon tank from a 4x4. So now I can go about 300 miles before I have to begin looking for a gas station. But the mod cost me over $1,400 out the door.
Smoke, both have the tow package w/controllers I know I should have taken pics of the window stickers. The fx4 has 36 gallon tank, the lariat has 26 gallon. Neither have max tow package, but I see it as the different mirrors only. I checked everything else radiator, tranny cooler, etc. they are the same. Both have 20" wheels already, so if weight wasn't the factor, 3:31 or 3:73. I will use this for daly driver. Interesting you get 200 mile per tank, what weight are you pulling again
Thanks for all the help again. Ford is giving really good incentives, plus I will by on a-plan again. I can be out the door w 5k down and my trade 35321.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #18

Quote:

Smoke, both have the tow package w/controllers I know I should have taken pics of the window stickers. The fx4 has 36 gallon tank, the lariat has 26 gallon. Neither have max tow package, but I see it as the different mirrors only. I checked everything else radiator, tranny cooler, etc. they are the same. Both have 20" wheels already, so if weight wasn't the factor, 3:31 or 3:73. I will use this for daly driver. Interesting you get 200 mile per tank, what weight are you pulling again
Thanks for all the help again. Ford is giving really good incentives, plus I will by on a-plan again. I can be out the door w 5k down and my trade 35321.
So with some fine print reading on Fords web site, the HD Tow package includes, heaver springs, different shocks too. Something to look for today.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #19

Smokey, my buddy at the dealer gave me his login to the California dealer search, hard to find 18" wheels on the higher trim packages, it has to be a California thing, even some of the XLT trucks listed have 20's. Can't wait to retire out of this state.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Interesting you get 200 mile per tank, what weight are you pulling again
Weight doesn't matter as much as the wind drag of a TT. My wet and loaded TT grosses 4,870. My F-150 is loaded to 7,200 pounds on the 4 truck tires. MPG varies from 8 to 10 when towing at 65 MPH - 10 on the flats but only 8 in the hills. I could probably pull a 7,000-pound TT and get the same MPG.

From here to Austin is 300 miles, with about 100 miles of that in the Hill country. So going I have to fill up in Brady, and coming home I have to fill up in San Angelo. At 8 MPG, 26 gallons is good for 208 miles. At 10 MPG it's good for 260 miles. So at around 200 miles, I start looking for a gas station.

With the 36-gallon tank, I can now probably make it to the suburbs of Austin without stopping in Brady or Llano for gas, and without too much anxiety about running out of gas in the middle of nowhere.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 12,000/1,200 Husky "Center Line" Towing System. It works great. It combines weight distribution and sway control along with trailer centering, too.

Here's a link to the product page. It works great.

http://www.huskytow.com/product/husk...towing-system/

Tags
weight