Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb5646 View Post
Trailer 7400 lb empty/ 9640 loaded. And TV Is 1/2 ton with air bags ...
Yeah, you're going to be severely overloaded with 99% of the half-ton pickups available today. Even with the very rare F-150 with heavy-duty payload package and 8,200 GVWR you'll probably be overloaded.

That heavy a trailer begs for a high-end WD hitch, such as a ProPride, Hensley Arrow, or PullRite. But those all cost over $2,000, or about three to four times what the good but affordable hitches cost.

Regardless of which hitch you buy, be sure it's rated for at least 1,200 pounds tongue weight (TW), and preferably 1,500 pounds. If you load that trailer to the gills and have average hitch weight of 13%, then your tongue weight will be 1,253 pounds plus the weight of your WD hitch.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 12:06 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree with all the words of caution here. To much TT for net enough TV and no hitch will change that. Someday the tail will wag the dog at a time you really don't want it. Get the best hitch you can and make sure everything is set up correctly before you head out.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #17

all is well

so im an idiot, sway control that im using is friction bar I never tightened botton nut...... all is well hear
Old 01-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #18

Ok I kept it short yesterday as site had issues, all is well here know. Thank to those involved.
Here is what happened. When I picked up unit, fast forward to friction sway control install. I installed and only tightened top lever handle. On way home I had what a called sway, but my situation was not sway ( fish tailing ) but that's a called it. Then I took unit to storage after that weekend. At that tow I tightened lever handle even more than first time ( still not realizing the stronger/looser nut below it ) this week while looking at friction bar uninstalled I noticed this adjustment. So another test tow this week and with properly installed friction bar, my complaint of sway ( which was not really sway) is gone...
So with that said I could not be happier. Still Some warranty issues get resolved ( waiting on dealer to receive parts) come on March...
Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Yeah, you're going to be severely overloaded with 99% of the half-ton pickups available today. Even with the very rare F-150 with heavy-duty payload package and 8,200 GVWR you'll probably be overloaded.

That heavy a trailer begs for a high-end WD hitch, such as a ProPride, Hensley Arrow, or PullRite. But those all cost over $2,000, or about three to four times what the good but affordable hitches cost.

Regardless of which hitch you buy, be sure it's rated for at least 1,200 pounds tongue weight (TW), and preferably 1,500 pounds. If you load that trailer to the gills and have average hitch weight of 13%, then your tongue weight will be 1,253 pounds plus the weight of your WD hitch.

I have to agree. He's already at a high TW (perhaps higher than he should be, depending on his set-up of his truck).

As for payload, if he's traveling with minimal gear and people in the truck, it's possible he might be fine.

At the price of a Hensley or ProPride hitch, might be better to use that cash and trade the current TV in for 3/4 ton. Ultimately, that's what I just did. I had researched these hitches quite a bit, but in my case I just couldn't see spending the money on that hitch knowing a 3/4 ton would do a better job in the long run for me and growing towing needs.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawHD View Post
At the price of a Hensley or ProPride hitch, might be better to use that cash and trade the current TV in for 3/4 ton.
Agree, but many folks demand a CrewCab that they can park in their garage, and close the garage door. The F-150 SuperCrew with the 5.5' shorty bed is the answer for a lot of those folks.

The F-250 CrewCab is not available with a bed shorter than 6.5'. And the other brands that declared bankruptcy and cheated their investors out of millions of dollars are not being considered.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #21

We recently went thru the whole new hitch thing our selfs, with a lot of reserch, and a limited budget, we were close to the Blue Ox,( around $600 ) but wanted to get away from chains, next the Equalizer (about the same $ ) Then we saw the new Husky Centerline TS, due to being fairly new, there were not a lot of reviews on it, but the few we found where possitve, so we saw it on Amazon for slighty under $400, and decided to give it a shot ????? It seems to be a knockoff of the Equalizer design with some improvements ( Quieter).

Towed with it a half a dozen times now, and must say " We Love It " so much easier to hook up than our old chain hitch, and the sway control is great !!! Hardly any worrys anymore about passing trucks and gusty winds !!!

The 2 best improvements since we got our new Grey Wolf, this hitch, and Air Ride 1000 air bags.

Hope This Helps
Old 01-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Agree, but many folks demand a CrewCab that they can park in their garage, and close the garage door. The F-150 SuperCrew with the 5.5' shorty bed is the answer for a lot of those folks.

The F-250 CrewCab is not available with a bed shorter than 6.5'. And the other brands that declared bankruptcy and cheated their investors out of millions of dollars are not being considered.
Well the F250 is actually longer overall than the Ram and GM trucks.

And FWIW, GM didn't screw their investors, the unions and federal government did!
Old 01-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #23

I would NEVER buy a chain WD setup again. It was such a PITA installing every time we were hooking up for a trip. A buddy of mine broke his finger installing his.

Tags
weight