Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #1

Weight distribution hitches

I'm looking to purchase a replacement WDH, with sway control. Bought a new travel trailer and now it's time to upgrade hitch.
I'm really liking the ANDERSON HITCH, but concerned it may be not enough improvement over current hitch. Trailer 7400 lb empty/ 9640 loaded. And TV Is 1/2 ton with air bags ( tows and stops good) wanting to improve sway....
So unless I win power ball tonight, I'm really not entertaining the idea of a Hensley type hitch. I'm not ruling high end out, but would like your ideasor thoughts.

And if I would happen to win power ball and you you respond to this post, I'll buy you a Hensley hitch..... Good luck to you if you did buy a ticket 😄
Johnnyb5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

Wow, that seems like you're really pushing a 1/2 Ton truck WDH or not. What's the tongue weight of your trailer?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
Ste

Seems like WAY too much trailer for that truck!

Anyway my suggestion is a hensley or pro pride. (in lieu of another truck)

I have a tall toyhauler that weighs in around 10-11,000 loaded and got rid of my 3/4 ton gmc ext cab short box.....not enough truck, wind and tractor trailers blew me all over even with an equalizer hitch. I bought a 3500 Ram ext cab long bed dually, now it tows properly.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think you may be right at, or over, the limit with that trailer. Have you ever weighted your truck alone, then your truck and trailer, to see what the tongue and "cargo weight" on your truck is?

Someone will be along shortly to tell us all that they have a similar rig and it tows just fine. I have no problem with that, but knowledge of your weights will help you find the right hitch, or decide that your tow vehicle is way overloaded and possibly dangerous.

I'm not making a judgement, many tow just over their TV limits, but many know it and act accordingly.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I'm going with a Blue Ox Sway Pro when I trade trailers... Probably will be 32 - 34' and 9,000 - 10,000 pounds loaded.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #6

If you have airbags on that 1/2 ton then you can tow just about anything. Even mid size 5th wheels. Don't airbags add another 5000lbs to carrying capacity. That's what the adds say anyway.
Seriously.
If it were me I'd take a hard look at the tongue weight when loaded and make sure you're not exceeding your trucks receiver rating.
You're probably in the 84-8500lb range loaded. That's 1020lb @12% which a good average for TW.
You don't say what any of the tow ratings are on your truck. Some 1/2 tons can only tow 7700lbs and others are good for 12,100lbs. Some have 1000lb payloads and some have 3000lb payloads. Let us know what you have.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:56 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. Busy week here, will put numbers together and post this weekend.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:29 AM   #8

Update. Just for clarity I do realize I am dancing on the edge with this combo. However I certainly will maintain common sense. Additionally it should be noted that I am a CDL holder and I am aware of the factors involved in towing. With that said I think at this point I mostly looking for the most beneficial hitch with sway control, Being that there are so many on the market. And my price point is mid to mid hi not hi. Ultimately I realize my hand could be forced giving that I am on the edge but I just wanted to put a feeler out there. Before I would make a decision. For example blue ox seems like it will be a very high contender based on customer statements. And it certainly comes in while below a Hensley type hitch.
Unfortunately I did not win the Powerball Wednesday night congrats to somebody. But I am still hoping for some input.
Thank you
Old 01-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #9

The Andersen hitch is less capable of transferring weight to the TV front axle than the Blue Ox or Equalizer. Depending on how much weight you need transferred, it may or may not be capable of meeting the task. The heavier the TW, the more needs to be transferred.

The way I understand the Andersen mechanism to work, a lot of pressure is put on the ball lock as it presses the truck hitch into the trailer. I've seen reports of this breaking the ball lock on the TT.

While I've seen good feedback on the Andersen with lighter trailers, I don't think this is a good option for a trailer as heavy as yours.

I've been very happy with the Blue Ox towing a 7K wet and loaded trailer with a 5.7L RAM 1500.

Unless you really luck out on your 1/2 ton specs and have a payload package, You will likely find you are exceeding your payload limit with the combination you have. You're looking at a 1K TW, so depending on what/who else is in the trailer, plus your WDH, you may not have enough payload. Payload limits on 1/2 tons range from 1300-2000 ish depending on options and trim. It's posted on the door sticker.

When you say you want to do a better job controlling sway, do you mean true sway (trailer is oscillating back and forth requiring you to hit the trailer brakes to bring under control) or do you mean the push and pull you feel when being passed by larger vehicles?

You don't say how long this TT is, but based on the weight I'm going to guess in the 30-34 foot range.

You also don't say what hitch you are using now.

If you're using a friction-type hitch now, then a Blue Ox or Equilizer non-friction type hitch will bring improvements to both oscilating sway and the push/pull from passing vehicles.

However, since your TT outweighs your TV by a good bit (I'm guessing), You will still feel some push/pull with a non-friction style WDH (not counting ProPride, which I have no experience with).
Old 01-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Weight distribution hitches

I have a Fastway E2 hitch. Really good hitch and a little cheaper price than the big names but does the job and is really good http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2/
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
I have a Fastway E2 hitch. Really good hitch and a little cheaper price than the big names but does the job and is really good http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2/

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452799010.256467.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	116535
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb5646 View Post
And my price point is mid to mid hi not hi.
That's what I call the excellent but affordable weight distribution and sway control hitches. Here's my candidates:

Reese Strait-Line trunnion bar. I've had one for years and it does the job.

Blue Ox SwayPro.

Equal-I-Zer

The old version of the Husky CenterLine (model number 31390) was on this list until they cheapened the hitch and called it the CenterLine TS (model number 32218 for the one with 800-1200 pound springbars). There are still some of the old CenterLine 31390 hitches available on the market. The old CenterLine will cost about the same as the other three above - around $600 complete with adjustable shank. here's one source:
http://www.amazon.com/Husky-31390-Ce.../dp/B0085II6XW

Those excellent but affordable WD hitches with built-in sway control will handle 99.9 percent of the conditions that can result in uncontrollable trailer sway. If you want to handle 100%, then you have to spend a lot more money. But if you've ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway, then you'll pay a lot to be sure it never happens again. That's why I also own a ProPride hitch for my travel trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #13

I'm real happy with my Equalizer E4...solid, no affect from passing trucks etc.

That being said, I have to agree with the others that you will almost certainly be (way) over your limits, more than just dancing on the edge of them. I know that's not what you're asking about...but still need need to mention it. Of course, I don't know what you're TV is, but it will take a real special 1/2 ton to pull that off. All the common or even uncommon sense in the world won't help when something unexpected happens.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:46 AM   #14

I would check tires on the truck too... most likely grossly under rated for this size rig (unless you upgraded them) and would certainly cause squirm. Should be LT tires in load range E.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight