RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Weight distribution hitches

Do you need a weight distribution hitch on a 36ft class a gasser towing 18ft trailer?

C and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by C and C View Post
Do you need a weight distribution hitch on a 36ft class a gasser towing 18ft trailer?
I'm really not an expert on Class A's but I'd say it depends on the hitch capacity of the Class A and the weight of the trailer. I'd also say a lot of class A tow too much and burn through trannies and overtax the cooling system. Can yours actually haul that much?

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #3

Weight of the trailer, its tongue weight, and the receiver capacity will determine whether you need WD.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I know I'll catch flak on this BUT, hitch on MH is rated 5000tc/500tw , best guess on trailer loaded will be approx 6100. I will verify total weight when I can,so that is a high almost educated guess.
C and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by C and C View Post
I know I'll catch flak on this BUT, hitch on MH is rated 5000tc/500tw , best guess on trailer loaded will be approx 6100. I will verify total weight when I can,so that is a high almost educated guess.

Assuming an enclosed cargo trailer or tandem-axle car hauler, your limiter as to max trailer weight is the 500 pounds max tongue weight (TW). When properly-loaded to 500 pounds TW, your trailer will have 13% TW. So that's a max trailer weight of only 3,846 pounds. Your 6,100 pound trailer will have about 800 pounds TW.

So go back and study your motor home hitch weight specs again. Will it support 800 pounds TW when used with a weight-distributing (WD) hitch?

Most towing specs of 5,000/500 assume a weight-carrying (WC) hitch, which is a simple draw bar/ball mount that slides into the receiver. But they are often rated for more weight when used with a WD hitch. For example, my F-150 receiver is rated 5000/500 WC, but 13,200/1,320 WD.

If your MH chassis and receiver are rated for at least 800 pounds WD, then your answer is to invest in a good WD hitch. I would choose an Equal-I-Zer, Blue Ox SwayPro, or Reese Strait-Line trunnion because of the very good sway prevention. Less-expensive WD hitches have decent weight distribution but not as good sway control/prevention.

And now for the flac. DO NOT overload your receiver hitch. 'Nuff said.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196-S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
PKI

Weight distribution is likely not the issue, but a gasser has a long overhang and you will need sway control. No, you can't tow 6K with a 5K capacity hitch.

The racer world upgrades such to do this job, but if you have to ask, you do not have the KSAs to achieve a good result.

Look at what you want to do and pick a lighter weight trailer and load. A light weight open aluminum trailer from Aluma, Trailex and others is about 1000#s and will carry 4K#s.

Good luck with your decision. Pat

Tags
weight