Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2017, 05:21 AM   #1

Weight Information

I recently posted a thread regarding towing performance and toad weight. I have since had the coach and toad weighed at a local Love's truck stop. Bad news! The coach (2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3511, GVW 22,000 lbs). It weighed 21,960 with my wife and dog inside, half tank of fuel, empty grey and black water, propane 2/3 full on a 25 lb tank, fresh water 1/3 on a 75 gallon tank. We are now looking at items that need not be on board. In addition, the toad (2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk) weighed 4,600 lbs with a full tank of gas, bike rack, two bikes and a tool box. This brings the total to 26,560 on a max combined gvw of 26,000 lbs. At this point, we are looking at a lighter weight toad. Any ideas/comments? Thanks.
Trimble T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #2

Before spending money on a new toad, take a look at what you have for stuff. What do you really need vs. what you can get by with. I know the wife wants everything, but do you use it and do you need it just for an emergency. Most everything I have taken out of 4 different rigs was: I might need this, or I don't want to have to go buy it. I found with my current 5th Wheel that when I transferred items there was tons of stuff I hadn't used in years. Gave it to neighbors, family, or Goodwill.

Start there first. If that doesn't solve the issue then look at a new toad.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Most states if not all states don't require a special class A or B license regarding weight for " house cars." In CA, until you exceed 40' in a motorhome/house car, you don't need an endorsement or anything besides a class C license. Keep in mind that commercial licensing is overseen by the DOT with consistency.

State by state has different designations for non CDL licensing.

On the other hand, here in CA, bumper pull trailers over 10k and 5th wheels over 15k require a CDL or non-CDL.
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2millers View Post
Most states if not all states don't require a special class A or B license regarding weight for " house cars." In CA, until you exceed 40' in a motorhome/house car, you don't need an endorsement or anything besides a class C license. Keep in mind that commercial licensing is overseen by the DOT with consistency.

State by state has different designations for non CDL licensing.

On the other hand, here in CA, bumper pull trailers over 10k and 5th wheels over 15k require a CDL or non-CDL.
There was a thread just a few days ago saying the CA now requires a different class of license if the RV is over 40' OR over 26,000#'s. Don't remember where it was though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

I notice in the OP first post you are only 40 pounds under GVWR with only a half a tank of fuel which means you are almost certainly over GVWR when you fill up, not by a huge amount but still ... sounds like adding some "lightness" to the coach is in order???
Old 06-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our '02 DSDP had an advertised NCC of 5,500#'s so I really wasn't concerned about the weight. Didn't order the real tile floor, nor the washer dryer combo, had a two walls and pocket doors deleted.
At delivery the CCC was only 663#'s and all of that was on the rear wheels, the front was 12,050 (12,000# axle/tire rating) if I filled the propane and fuel tanks BEFORE we ever loaded anything and without us on board. After some "discussion" and an evaluation Newmar arranged for me to drive the rig to the Spartan factory and have a 14,600# axle installed. While on the rack the tech's inspected the whole frame and said the rear axle was a 20,000# and there was no reason for Newmar to de-rate it to 19,000#'s. Newmar issued us a modified vehicle weight sticker too. Later I changed to Alcoa wheels and 305/70 tires on the front axle to take full advantage of the 14,600# rating.
After all was done I gained 3,600#'s in capacity minus the add'l weigh of the heavier front axle or about 3,400#'s more.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There was a thread just a few days ago saying the CA now requires a different class of license if the RV is over 40' OR over 26,000#'s. Don't remember where it was though.
Yes, I saw it also in the Class A forum.
It's still in the speculation phase. At this time, weight is Not a consideration for determining license type in CA.
However, here in CA, things can change quickly.

You do have to have a class B license if your motorhome does exceed 40', but that's been effect for years.
R2millers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight