Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #15

And remember this, a lot of the 3/4 Ton diesels, if they are CrewCab and 4x4, the payload will be in the 2100-2200 lb range. Same exact truck with the gas motor AND you pick up an additional 500-600 lbs of payload capacity. The diesel and it's transmission has some weight to it take takes away from the payload capacity.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #16

You have pretty much described our setup:

2016 F-150 XLT Supercrew, 3.5Ecoboost, 8' bed, max tow, hd payload towing a Winnebago 2500RL so same specs as yours. Tows very well, have never had any scary moments even in some pretty good winds in the Columbia Gorge or crossing the Golden Gate bridge. No complaints or concerns or reservations about our setup. Absolutely love the 3.5 Ecoboost. I have mamaged to get as low as 9mpg, that was in the gorge heading into the wind driving at 65mph. But total average for our trip south for 2 months this winter from Canada to WA,OR,CA,AZ,NV and back was 12.5mpg. Pretty good for a rig our size and I don't like to hold up traffic or slow people down so do not baby it.

Either way I don't think you'll go wrong with that trailer. Good luck.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
You have pretty much described our setup:

2016 F-150 XLT Supercrew, 3.5Ecoboost, 8' bed, max tow, hd payload towing a Winnebago 2500RL so same specs as yours. Tows very well, have never had any scary moments even in some pretty good winds in the Columbia Gorge or crossing the Golden Gate bridge. No complaints or concerns or reservations about our setup. Absolutely love the 3.5 Ecoboost. I have mamaged to get as low as 9mpg, that was in the gorge heading into the wind driving at 65mph. But total average for our trip south for 2 months this winter from Canada to WA,OR,CA,AZ,NV and back was 12.5mpg. Pretty good for a rig our size and I don't like to hold up traffic or slow people down so do not baby it.

Either way I don't think you'll go wrong with that trailer. Good luck.
Great info. If I were to go F150 I don't want to order so wouldn't have hdpp, I'd buy the 3.5 with max tow and the 6.5 bed. Thanks!
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
2017 Ford F-150 with 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.55 gears, and a short box.

2017 Keystone Cougar 29BHSWE ... 8,500 lbs fully loaded, 1,000 lbs of tongue weight, 34 feet long.

Items added to F-150: Helper springs in the rear, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, and an Equalizer WD / anti-sway hitch.

2 years and approximately 10,000 miles with no issues ... in the western US with steep grades.

Some will frown at this ... but it was legal and I had no issues ... because the truck was setup right before it towed this trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B814BB4-A7BD-47D2-A0C3-B3FA9C73A03B.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	242038  
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahEngineer View Post
2017 Ford F-150 with 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.55 gears, and a short box.

2017 Keystone Cougar 29BHSWE ... 8,500 lbs fully loaded, 1,000 lbs of tongue weight, 34 feet long.

Items added to F-150: Helper springs in the rear, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, and an Equalizer WD / anti-sway hitch.

2 years and approximately 10,000 miles with no issues ... in the western US with steep grades.

Some will frown at this ... but it was legal and I had no issues ... because the truck was setup right before it towed this trailer.
Thanks. BUT you did move up to a 3500 diesel.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Thanks. BUT you did move up to a 3500 diesel.
The F-150 was free from a former employer ... that allowed personal use of the truck ... made no sense to own two trucks.

My new employer pays me a monthly stipend, gas, and car washes to use my truck for work purposes.

I sell large slurry pumps and service remote mining sites ... and haul equipment heavier than my travel trailer ... that is why I purchased the 1-ton pickup.

Chose Chevrolet because of Onstar ... therefore I have communication at all times due to the remote locations I travel to.

So my upgrading to a 1-ton was not for my travel trailer ... it was for work.

Kindly wanted to share that you can tow 8,500 lbs safely if the F-150 is setup correctly.

Is it nice to tow with a bigger truck ... yes ... much better.

Do I like parking it downtown ... or how it rides unloaded ... no ... but hard to have the best of both worlds.

May eventually modify the 3500HD with a Kelderman rear airbag system (removing the rear leaf springs) and a Fabtech front coil spring modification ... then I will have the best of both words ... ride like a half ton when unloaded ... haul like a 1-ton when loaded or towing .
Old 04-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #21

Lots and lots of members say that 'you' can tow heavy with a half ton truck but they now use a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. By hook or by crook you are now using a bigger truck.

Utah is not the only one.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #22

Quote:
The F-150 was free from a former employer ... that allowed personal use of the truck ... made no sense to own two trucks.

My new employer pays me a monthly stipend, gas, and car washes to use my truck for work purposes.

I sell large slurry pumps and service remote mining sites ... and haul equipment heavier than my travel trailer ... that is why I purchased the 1-ton pickup.

Chose Chevrolet because of Onstar ... therefore I have communication at all times due to the remote locations I travel to.

So my upgrading to a 1-ton was not for my travel trailer ... it was for work.

Kindly wanted to share that you can tow 8,500 lbs safely if the F-150 is setup correctly.

Do I like parking it downtown ... or how it rides unloaded ... no ... but hard to have the best of both worlds.

May eventually modify the 3500HD with a Kelderman rear airbag system (removing the rear leaf springs) and a Fabtech front coil spring modification ... then I will have the best of both words ... ride like a half ton when unloaded ... haul like a 1-ton when loaded or towing .
Thanks for the info. I'm running the numbers now on an F150 @ "cannot exceed" 1750#. 400# bodies, 1050# hitch (15% of 7000) and a wdh and there's already nothing left.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding? The wdh changes things? Removes a % from the hitch and puts on axles?

Truck is:
Front gawr 3600
Rear gawr 4050
gvwr 7050
Payload "cannot exceed" 1750

Trailer is:
Uvw 5250
Gvwr 7000
Old 04-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
My 2017 Ford F-150 maximum loaded trailer weight was 10,700 lbs per Ford on page 18 of their towing guide at the weblink below:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...de_r6_Nov8.pdf

But, this was not the limiting factor for my setup ... it was actually the rear GAWR ... specifically the 1,551 lbs of maximum cargo capacity.

I did however add a set of overload leaf springs and 10-ply tires on the truck ... which surely skewed some of this rating.

So I guess the next limiting factor would be the rear end itself or the stock 17 inch Ford aluminum rims.

Point is I was able to stay within these constraints with proper loading ... and verified this at the local truck stop CAT scale.

Again, some will balk at this setup, but to each his own as long as it meets DOT constraints.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Great info. If I were to go F150 I don't want to order so wouldn't have hdpp, I'd buy the 3.5 with max tow and the 6.5 bed. Thanks!
Max tow will gain nothing in the way of carrying more weight.
" Max tow" options is about more towing goodies ;

Available on XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranchฎ, and Platinum models.

Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• 36 Gallon fuel tank
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Engine oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper

Even the small capacity F150 6800/7000 gvwr and 3800-4000 rawr can have the max tow option.

JMO but Ford need to drop the max tow moniker and call it a trailer tow package. Max tow confuses lots of F150 owners into thinking max tow means carrying more weight or max tow ratings.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:58 AM   #25

Max tow is really the HDPP option. That option is like the Raptor Option. Note: the Raptor is a F-150. Same as the HDPP is a F-150. Ford builds the truck with a different and thicker frame, longer wheelbase, 8 lug wheels with 'E' rated tires, different rear axle and bunch of other towing goodies. The F-150 with the HDPP option has a cargo capacity of over 3,000lbs.

No doubt Ford builds this truck for 1/2 ton truck bragging rights.

If you order the HDPP option the mandatory option of Max Tow is included. Who would not want a 36 gallon gas tank.

HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package)

So you have Ford building 4 different F-150's.

1. F-150 2.7 Eco-Boost with a lite frame and built for gas mileage. This was the F-150 Ford thought would replace the Ranger. Cargo capacity around 1,500 lbs.

2. F-150 with heavier frame and most common 3.5 Eco-Boost and 5.0 Coyote.
This is truck I think about when I think F-150. Cargo capacity around 1,800 to 2,000 lbs.

3. F-150 Raptor - special off road racing truck. Comes with special 3.5 Eco-Boost 510 Ft lb torque engine. Lots of special off road stuff and a special frame. Cargo capacity around 1,200lbs.

4. F-150 HDPP - special towing truck comes with long wheelbase and special thicker frame. Lots of other towing stuff.
Cargo capacity over 3,000 lbs.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #26

My numbers were exactly what you are describing. Family of 4. We scaled out within limits, but always 100 pounds below or above rear axle.

Towed 30k miles on 4 different cross country trips with this rig. Plenty comfortable and capable. Power wise, I couldn't have asked for any more. However, there were a few concerns. One, I couldn't put anything of weight in the bed of the truck. This wasn't terrible, as there are several large items of no weight that ended up there...think blue tote. Two, long, downhill grades got me a little nervous. There is NO compression braking available. I never had brake fade, but kept waiting for it. Reality is, this was a concern for about 100 miles total out of the entire 30k.

If I had it to do over: I'd go 3/4 ton if I could get it within a few thousand of the F150. However, I sure would miss the 3.5 EB.

We no longer tow with it, but I still have the truck with 80k miles and it has not had one issue.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:27 AM   #27

Quote:

Safely, in your opinion.

The second line says it all...
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
My numbers were exactly what you are describing. Family of 4. We scaled out within limits, but always 100 pounds below or above rear axle.

Towed 30k miles on 4 different cross country trips with this rig. Plenty comfortable and capable. Power wise, I couldn't have asked for any more. However, there were a few concerns. One, I couldn't put anything of weight in the bed of the truck. This wasn't terrible, as there are several large items of no weight that ended up there...think blue tote. Two, long, downhill grades got me a little nervous. There is NO compression braking available. I never had brake fade, but kept waiting for it. Reality is, this was a concern for about 100 miles total out of the entire 30k.

If I had it to do over: I'd go 3/4 ton if I could get it within a few thousand of the F150. However, I sure would miss the 3.5 EB.
Again, says it all.

Those who have, realize what they did was NOT safe.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, weight