Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Question Weight ratings on new trucks

I went out for round one of my truck shopping this weekend. I want an Diesel, SRW 350/3500 fully/mostly loaded truck. I prefer a shorter wheelbase for parking when not towing. I was hoping for a truck with a CCC of at least 3500 lbs. That's not an overly high amount and I thought it would be easy. NOT

It is very difficult to find any truck with the high weight carrying rating often bragged about. The sales staff seem clueless about number and cannot even find their own data or search their own databases. No one could offer any help even when they tried. Wow, just wow. The turnover at these places must be so high that no ones seems very competent.

The Dodge dealer had a bunch of young sales staff and were huddle around acting kids in high school. They seemed more concerned with chatting than helping anyone. It was really kind of sad to see this. They couldn't answer my questions or find me anything remotely close to what I wanted.

GMC sales guy seemed the most competent and eager to help me. They had the closest to what I was looking for. But their numbers overall are way low. Much less than the others.

There was a nice looking fully loaded Ford F350 4x4 Platinum I kind of liked. It seemed to have every option available including an 18K 5er hitch already installed. But the CCC sticker on the truck was only 2800lbs. WOW

How are people keeping their setups legal? Most of the trucks I looked at had very low ratings with only the GMC reaching 3500lbs. CCC

Their websites show they make capable trucks. Are these just unicorns that they build one of for advertising/bragging rights? No one seems to know about them or be able to find me one.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #2

You keep mentioning 'FULL LOADED' trucks.

Every item/option factory installed or dealer added reduces the CCC

Marketing Depts use a Base Model (stripped unit) 150# driver and 20# cargo for their published ratings........MAX Tow and CCC

You want FULLY LOADED then you will have lowest CCC (heaviest curb weight)
Want higher CCC--shop for lower trim levels in 4X2 and the highest GVWR
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1361 View Post
I went out for round one of my truck shopping this weekend. I want an Diesel, SRW 350/3500 fully/mostly loaded truck. I prefer a shorter wheelbase for parking when not towing. I was hoping for a truck with a CCC of at least 3500 lbs. That's not an overly high amount and I thought it would be easy. NOT

It is very difficult to find any truck with the high weight carrying rating often bragged about. The sales staff seem clueless about number and cannot even find their own data or search their own databases. No one could offer any help even when they tried. Wow, just wow. The turnover at these places must be so high that no ones seems very competent.

The Dodge dealer had a bunch of young sales staff and were huddle around acting kids in high school. They seemed more concerned with chatting than helping anyone. It was really kind of sad to see this. They couldn't answer my questions or find me anything remotely close to what I wanted.

GMC sales guy seemed the most competent and eager to help me. They had the closest to what I was looking for. But their numbers overall are way low. Much less than the others.

There was a nice looking fully loaded Ford F350 4x4 Platinum I kind of liked. It seemed to have every option available including an 18K 5er hitch already installed. But the CCC sticker on the truck was only 2800lbs. WOW

How are people keeping their setups legal? Most of the trucks I looked at had very low ratings with only the GMC reaching 3500lbs. CCC

Their websites show they make capable trucks. Are these just unicorns that they build one of for advertising/bragging rights? No one seems to know about them or be able to find me one.
The truck in our signature has an advertised payload of 4070 lbs. That must be for a stripped down model because i have weighed ours a few times, and with the way we are loaded for a trip the truck weighs in about 8800 lbs. Gvw is 11700 lbs minus 8800 is 2900 lbs left over for payload. That is with wife , a Golden Retreiver, taunneau cover , tool box with about 50 lbs of tools etc, also our rail kit and 5th wheel hitch is about 200 lbs. I would think all three manufacturers would be fairly close to that. Not sure how big of trailer you want but ours has a pin weight of usually of about 2600 lbs so we just make with a little to spare. If you left everything out of the bed you could get another 200 lbs or so I would guess. Just passing along real world numbers. Hope this helps.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #4

While my 2017 Ram 3500 Crewcab, Diesel, 4x4, auto, 342 gears, long bed, SRW, SLT Bighorn trim (plus a couple other options) is not fully loaded, it is plenty loaded for me and I think most of the stuff it is missing from the Longhorn Limited is either electronic in nature or different fabric (ie not much extra weight) except for the rear air which i do not have, I do have the front buckets and center console option and I have 4358 lbs of ccc per the door sticker.

If you go to the dealer just open the vehicle driver door there is a sticker that has the ccc/payload rating of that vehicle on the B pillar as it left the factory.

I must admit I have never seen or even thought about a 1 ton vehicle that only had 2800lbs of CCC, at least not late model ones.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
But the CCC sticker on the truck was only 2800lbs. WOW

CCC or the yellow tire placard payload sticker is not the legal load limit for any truck. In fact the truck makers gvwr/payload sticker isn't used to determine a trucks legal load carrying capacity. If anyone doesn't believe this contact your state size and weight officers.
Pay attention to the trucks RAWR as its going to carry every thing in the bed and some of the cabin weight.
The new gen F350 SRW trucks have a 7230 lb rawr.....the trucks rear axle can weigh in the 3200 lb range leaving around 3800-4000 lb in the bed payload. Of course actual weight depends on scaled weights. A crew cab 4wd long bed may weigh 200-300 lbs more so it has less payload. Adding the hitch and a aux fuel tank takes away even more.

A 18k GN/5th wheel trailer can have 3600-4000 lbs of hitch weight. Now add the heavy duty hitch/all the folks and gear in the truck. Any one ton SRW truck is over loaded.

A 18k trailer is in one ton DRW truck country with their 6k-7k payloads.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #6

Sun roofs and power deployable running boards are *heavy*. So are spray in bed liners. (And don't forget that giant Diesel engine, transfer case, and front diff)

Heck, I'm considering a DRW to pull my TT around because I have some really heavy stuff to tote along with me when I'm working.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My 2014 f350 lariat SRW has 3340 CCC. Crew cab, 4 wheel drive, diesel with long bed. Wanted a king ranch but the extra trim options just weighed too much. Sometimes you just need to compromise.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #8

CCC should be right on with GVWR minus weight of the truck. In my case I think it is.

On my 2012 Dually KR the:

GVWR is 13,300
CCC is 4,691
Means truck weighs 8,609.

I weighed my truck wet, had 5th wheel hitch, me, tools, block of wood for 5th wheel jacks. It weighed 8,992.

8,992 minus 8,609 is 383.

That means me, tools, 5th wheel hitch and other stuff weighed 383 lbs which makes sense.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #9

I'm getting a chuckle at folks complaining that their 1 ton truck is only rated at 2 tons. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #10
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No complaints here. Truck pulls 5er with ease and are under all weights plus we have pretty much fully loaded truck.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #11

When I get my oil changed at the local Ram dealer it takes about an hr so I wander the lot kicking tires and dreaming. Most every 3500 SRW CTD I see has CCC's in the upper 3000 range and some at 4000+.
As far as people being legal goes, well some are ignorant, some don't care and some buy the right truck.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Happy with mine too. Just trying to help the OP with the numbers.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #13

1361, you must not talk to the kids selling family sedans, minivans or smart cars. You need to to talk to commercial sales, some of the numbers can be found in the brochures and on the doors, for others the sales person might have to make a phone call and if they can't do this for a potential buyer ready to invest a significant amount of their hard earned money then they shouldn't have your business. Look for dealers that have cab/chassis trucks in the lot and not so much the Platinum, Laramie Longhorn or Denali, these are the ones who know the weights, differential ratio and options you need. You still want to take these numbers home with you and cross reference everything.
FYI, the payload difference between a 3500 GM/CHEV DRW and a 3500 RAM DRW with similar options is a solid 1000 pounds.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I'm getting a chuckle at folks complaining that their 1 ton truck is only rated at 2 tons. ;-)
But remember where the phrases half-ton, three-quarter-ton and one-ton came from.

The Model T Ford trucks way back when. Half-ton is 1,000 pounds, and those early pickups and flat beds could haul a driver plus about 1,000 pounds without being overloaded. The three-quarter-ton trucks could haul a driver plus about 1,500 pounds. The one-ton dually could haul a driver and about 2,000 pounds. And remember the quarter-ton Jeeps of WW-II = a driver and up to about 500 pounds of additional weight of people and guns and ammo.

After WW-II, the terms were still used but were no longer descriptive of actual weight capacity. I remember when Ford came out with the F-150, Dad called it a 5/8ths ton pickup, but the average bear continued to call it a half-ton. And so it is today. My half-ton pickup with standard suspension can haul about 1600 pounds without being overloaded. That's over three-quarters of a ton. And some can haul a lot more than mine without exceeding any of the weight capacities of their "half-ton" pickup.

Think back to the monster 6-by-6 two-ton trucks of WW-II. Some modern one-ton duallys have payload capacity of more than those two-ton trucks had.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight