Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

Well, that escalated quickly.....

On Saturday, Sept 3, we purchased a 2014 C2500 to replace an F150 for better towing options.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/upgra...le-306889.html

On Sunday, while double checking the tow figures i found out the salesman was mistaken on the towing limits Chevy puts on the 6.0 gasser.

Today, Monday Sept. 5, we went back to the dealer and explained what the issue was. They agreed a mistake was made and voided the sales contract. We test drove some F250 gasser but they had a used 2016 oil burner on the lot we liked. They worked with us on the price since they had kind of messed up on the first deal.

We are now the owners of an F250 Screw Cab 4X4 with a 15.1K towing package. On the trip home (60 miles) we got about 19.4 on the highway.

It's not loaded up with options real heavy but it has the things we need.

Any suggestions as to who makes the best fifth wheel hitch rated at 15K?

Thanks..
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #2

B&W makes a very good hitch arrangement

I have a Huskey 16K 4 way articulating head that I have used for past 10 yrs (1st 7 yrs was FT towing weekly 14K 5vr)

BTW.....pretty decent dealer to void sales contract and then sell you a higher priced newer diesel
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

We went in just after they opened today and just calmly told them what had occurred. We told them we did not think at all that this was an attempt to deceive us and wanted to give them an opportunity to set things right.

They responded professionally and politely. They wanted the salesman that had made the mistake to take care of us so he would learn from his mistake but it he was from the Ford dealership under the same ownership as the Chevy and they decided to keep it in house and give one of their salesman the sale. That was their call and we were fine with it.

The guy that worked with us had more experience and was a motorhead, my kind of sales guy.

At the end of the day we got a fair deal and good consideration for our inconvenience.

Thanks for the input on the B&W hitch.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #4

We have a B&W Patriot Hitch,,, Made In Kansas,,, and I Love it !!! But hitches are like anything,,, some like ford, chevy, dodge... Do your research... We did and I'm happy.... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

The B&W looks interesting, especially the slider. Wife and I want to be able to use the bed of the truck for hauling stuff.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #6

Did the GM have 3.73 rear gears? Because on your other thread, the stated amount of 12,500 was within the towing limits for the GM with the 4.10.

I had a similarl experience 18 months ago, went and bought a used 2013 and the rear end was different gears from what they said. They voided the contract as well.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott_head View Post
We are now the owners of an F250 Screw Cab 4X4 with a 15.1K towing package.
I realize it's beating a dead horse, but DO NOT assume that you can tow a 15k trailer without being overloaded. Tow ratings are often several thousand pounds overstated. You will exceed the payload capacity of the tow vehicle long before you get close to the tow rating.

As a rule of thumb, around 12,000 pounds is the max weight you should plan to tow with a three-quarter-ton pickup. A 15,000 pound RV trailer almost always requires a "one ton" dually

Your GVWR is 10,000 pounds. A 2016 CrewCab 4x4 PSD can easily weigh 7,500 pounds with only a driver and one passenger and a few tool plus a 5er hitch installed. That leaves a max of 2,500 pounds for 5er pin weight. That's a 5er with a max weight of 12,500 pounds without exceeding the payload capacity of the F-250.

Quote:
Any suggestions as to who makes the best fifth wheel hitch rated at 15K?
You don't want a cheap 5er hitch. The only one I know of rated 15k is the cheap Reese Pro Series. Don't buy that one. The next one up the scale is the regular Reese 5er hitch at least 16k - not the Pro Series. And even better is the Reese Elite Series in 18k. The Reese Elite Series with underbed rails is the one that Ford installs as optional equipment at the factory. Good hitch, worth the money.

B&W also makes good hitches. Install a B&W TurnOverBall gooseneck hitch, then plug in the B&W Companion 5er hitch.

And if you are dumb enough to buy a shortbed tow vehicle for towing a 5er, then there is only one hitch you should consider - PullRite SuperGlide automatic sliding hitch.
Traditional Series SuperGlide - For Short Bed Trucks | PullRite Hitches

Note that the SuperGlide is available with different install systems. The Traditional Series is the under-bed rail system made by PullRight specifically for the SuperGlide hitch.

ISR means "industry-standard rails", or Reese in-bed rails for Reese and other brands of 5er hitches. If your tow vehicle already has ISR, then the SuperGlide ISR will plug right into those rails and work file.

OE means original equipment. If your F-250 already has the Ford 5er prep kit installed, then the OE SuperGlide will plug right into the mounting holes in your bed.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawHD View Post
Did the GM have 3.73 rear gears? Because on your other thread, the stated amount of 12,500 was within the towing limits for the GM with the 4.10.

I had a similarl experience 18 months ago, went and bought a used 2013 and the rear end was different gears from what they said. They voided the contract as well.

Yep, 3.73 gears. One dealer in Norman, Oklahoma told me the 9540 was just for dead tongue. If I went with a WDH the gasser with 3.73 gears was rated to tow 12K.
And this guy was the dealerships truck guru...
Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I realize it's beating a dead horse, but DO NOT assume that you can tow a 15k trailer without being overloaded. Tow ratings are often several thousand pounds overstated. You will exceed the payload capacity of the tow vehicle long before you get close to the tow rating.

As a rule of thumb, around 12,000 pounds is the max weight you should plan to tow with a three-quarter-ton pickup. A 15,000 pound RV trailer almost always requires a "one ton" dually

Your GVWR is 10,000 pounds. A 2016 CrewCab 4x4 PSD can easily weigh 7,500 pounds with only a driver and one passenger and a few tool plus a 5er hitch installed. That leaves a max of 2,500 pounds for 5er pin weight. That's a 5er with a max weight of 12,500 pounds without exceeding the payload capacity of the F-250.

You don't want a cheap 5er hitch. The only one I know of rated 15k is the cheap Reese Pro Series. Don't buy that one. The next one up the scale is the regular Reese 5er hitch at least 16k - not the Pro Series. And even better is the Reese Elite Series in 18k. The Reese Elite Series with underbed rails is the one that Ford installs as optional equipment at the factory. Good hitch, worth the money.

B&W also makes good hitches. Install a B&W TurnOverBall gooseneck hitch, then plug in the B&W Companion 5er hitch.

And if you are dumb enough to buy a shortbed tow vehicle for towing a 5er, then there is only one hitch you should consider - PullRite SuperGlide automatic sliding hitch.
Traditional Series SuperGlide - For Short Bed Trucks | PullRite Hitches

Note that the SuperGlide is available with different install systems. The Traditional Series is the under-bed rail system made by PullRight specifically for the SuperGlide hitch.

ISR means "industry-standard rails", or Reese in-bed rails for Reese and other brands of 5er hitches. If your tow vehicle already has ISR, then the SuperGlide ISR will plug right into those rails and work file.

OE means original equipment. If your F-250 already has the Ford 5er prep kit installed, then the OE SuperGlide will plug right into the mounting holes in your bed.
I live in Oklahoma. Pretty dang flat out this way. The truck will tow 18K plus no problem.....and if I exceed the payload no problem, just air up the tires where they look ok.....no biggie...air is free....
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott_head View Post
I live in Oklahoma. Pretty dang flat out this way. The truck will tow 18K plus no problem.....and if I exceed the payload no problem, just air up the tires where they look ok.....no biggie...air is free....
Air is free. But a wrongful accident in civil court isn't.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:03 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have never been to Oklahoma. I think I'll keep it that way.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #12

So you bought a truck rated to tow 15k, but you're willing to tow 18k?

The good news that you will be off the road a lot because your truck will be in the shop being fixed all the time.

Sorry, but you really need to rethink what you are doing and stay within the limits of the truck, including the payload.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawHD View Post
So you bought a truck rated to tow 15k, but you're willing to tow 18k?

The good news that you will be off the road a lot because your truck will be in the shop being fixed all the time.

Sorry, but you really need to rethink what you are doing and stay within the limits of the truck, including the payload.
Ya'll need to lighten up.......we upgraded from an F150 since what we were looking at would nearly max it out. Of all the trailers we are looking at, most are less than 9K, the heaviest is 10.5K.

I guess I need to put some emoticons in my posts...
Old 09-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #14

On the hitch front I am looking at the Reese Elite, I like how it leaves the bed clean when removed. We are looking at Fifth Wheels that have the caps tapered so they clear the cab without the use of a slider. Will have to get more information on them.