Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

Went to a CAT scale yesterday and this is what I learned

I'm very analytical. It's built into my personality. My trailer is currently loaded for travel less food and clothes and I wanted to see where I stand with weights so hit the cat scale yesterday for a 3 pass weigh. Very easy to do. Only tricky part was getting permission to drop my trailer in the lot for 15 mins (VERY busy truck stop). Manager had to approve it and was good to go.

Factory Stats on my Rig:

TV: 2015 RAM 4x4 Hemi Crew with 3.92 gears + tow package
Curb:5365
GVWR: 6900
Payload: 1530
GAWR: 3900 front and rear
Steer: 3105
Drive: 2260
Max Towing: 10,150 (no way to get anywhere close with a TT. Payload is doomed)

TT: 2019 Winnebago Minnie 2455BHS
Dry: 5320
Dry Hitch: 660lbs

First pass truck only w/ 4 passengers including hitch, bed cover, full tank of gas:

Steer Axle: 3320
Drive Axle: 2700
Total Weight: 6080

Second pass with TT hooked up w/ no WDH bars loaded up:

Steer: 2980
Drive: 3960 (exceeding axle weight rating by 60 lbs)
TT Axles: 4740
GCVW: 11680 (way under spec but you can already see the problems with payload and axle ratings)

Third pass with WDH bars loaded:

Steer: 3320
Drive: 3480
TT Axles: 4880
GCVWR: 11,680

I'm thrilled with the third pass. Near perfect balance on my axles and still 100lbs left in payload (or additional tongue weight). Tongue weight is 720 lbs which is very close to 13% of GVWR of my trailer. VERY happy with that as well.

What I learned about my rig:

Dry weight of trailer out of the Winnebago factory must include either the propane or battery or both. I'm shocked my trailer is only 5600 lbs. I have 2 30lb propane tanks, series 27 battery, and all the regular gear except clothes/food/odds and ends. There's a lot of stuff stored in the passthrough/cabinets etc and plenty of it has some weight to it. Short story is my trailer weight is great and better than expected.

When I load more gear I'll keep it over the axles or slightly in front. I'm no longer worried about payload/tongue weight/balance in general.

Areas of concern:

With only 100lbs left for payload it will take very little to go over that. Full tank of water alone could do it let alone all the additional gear that will accumulate over time. We'll often take 2 cars so having 4 passengers at time of weigh gives me a lot of wiggle room if we take 2 vehicles. But if we don't take 2 cars the odds of going over payload are very high for a fully loaded long trip.

Why I'm not worried about going over payload:

Controversial subject and this is just my thoughts/opinion only. I have XL load rated tires, upgraded rear springs, and I'm well below axle weight ratings. My rig tows dead straight with no sway, lumbering around, stops easily and no issues whatsoever. Another 1k lbs in the trailer or over payload by 300lbs (or whatever) won't change that (imo only). I have a rear observation camera and TPMS system on both the truck and trailer. I take safety seriously and imo (and my opinion only) I highly doubt going over payload but staying in axle ratings will change anything with wear and tear and towing experience. Liability of course is the big issue. I have a $2M umbrella policy that will cover any and all liability in the worst case scenario (confirmed with carrier). I am 100% completely comfortable with my choices. If it was only me in the truck and exceeded payload I would be trading for a 3/4 ton but that's not the case.

My rig feels very safe and stable with tons of pulling power, zero squat, and all around good ride when towing. I will never exceed axle ratings. That's a line in the sand I won't cross. Weight police on IRV2 can jump all over me for my opinions but I don't care. I've done everything in my power to ensure safety with my current rig and I'm fine with any consequences of my actions.

Final Thoughts:

The TT is the biggest I would consider towing with a half ton. It's 28' hitch to bumper and a 7k GVWR. I doubt I'll ever get over 6500lbs with the trailer but even if I do I have zero concerns. I enjoy the towing experience very much and plan to travel and explore as often as possible.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #2

This is my first comment here. I completed reading your post and got some truly new information. However, It was a great sharing from your experiences for RV beginners like me.

Thank you!
alanbonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #3

You have a great matched set up..truck/tt.
Payload based on MFGs GVWR is NOT a legal standing
Axle Weight Ratings ARE....along with Tire Load Ratings
Stay at/under those ratings and go camping!

Course anyone can sue anyone for anything....that's how our civil law is

But I personally do not concern myself with whether or not I will be sued ---have no control over that aspect

But I do believe in legal status...and Axle Ratings/Tire Load Ratings trump MFG Gvwr/payload numbers.

Isn't it great to have 'actual' weight numbers so one can make an Informed Decision .......quick trip to set of scales is well worth having that actual information.
And your post is a great example of that!!!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbonner View Post
This is my first comment here. I completed reading your post and got some truly new information. However, It was a great sharing from your experiences for RV beginners like me.

Thank you!
The most interesting part of the 3 pass weigh was how the weights change with a weight distribution hitch engaged. Confirms that I have my hitch set up correctly. In my case a WDH is required to stay within class IV receiver specs but even if I had a 3/4 ton I would still use a WDH to balance load. For reference, I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1k bars. Love the hitch but others like the Equalizer or Anderson are excellent as well. A WDH is one part I wouldn't skimp on. Go with quality over saving $. It's the most important connection in the whole towing system.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree, don't skimp on the hitch. Numbers look good, just remember the braking performance is always going to be your weakest point. It might feel good now but in a panic stop or long steep downhill grades they will develop brake fade. Just keep it in mind, especially when towing in the mountains.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #6

And disc brakes would cure that.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:11 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
When I asked around on mine I was told the UVW listed on the motorhome tag was everything but the fresh water since the manufacturer considered fresh water optional (not required to have on board).
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:23 AM   #8

Thanks for posting this! I have a '20 2500FL on order and our trailers are almost identical specs. I will be carrying myself, wife and dog @ ~400 lbs.

I'm shopping to upgrade my F150 2.7 ecoboost now and your data is very relevant and helpful to my decision.
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Thanks for posting this! I have a '20 2500FL on order and our trailers are almost identical specs. I will be carrying myself, wife and dog @ ~400 lbs.

I'm shopping to upgrade my F150 2.7 ecoboost now and your data is very relevant and helpful to my decision.
AND the more info I read, the more I'm leaning towards buying an F150 3.5 Max Tow for a trailer that's 28' 7000 wet.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
AND the more info I read, the more I'm leaning towards buying an F150 3.5 Max Tow for a trailer that's 28' 7000 wet.
Don't be fooled into thinking your getting a F150 with max payloads....
MAX TOW is :

Available on XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranch®, and Platinum models.

Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• 36 Gallon fuel tank
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Engine oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper

Point is max tow can come with the smaller 6800-7000 gvwr and 3800-4050 rawr packages. Lots of F150 owners bought into the max tow option.....then complained their F150 didn't do the job. They simply bought the wrong
GVWR/RAWR package.
You need the higher 7500-7850 gvwr and 4450-4800 RAWR packages for max weight carrying/max towing abilities abilities.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Don't be fooled into thinking your getting a F150 with max payloads....
MAX TOW is :

Available on XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranch®, and Platinum models.

Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• 36 Gallon fuel tank
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Engine oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Tailgate LED
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper

Point is max tow can come with the smaller 6800-7000 gvwr and 3800-4050 rawr packages. Lots of F150 owners bought into the max tow option.....then complained their F150 didn't do the job. They simply bought the wrong
GVWR/RAWR package.
You need the higher 7500-7850 gvwr and 4450-4800 RAWR packages for max weight carrying/max towing abilities abilities.
Good reminder, thanks. Easiest way to spot one? Is it an option that I'd see on the window sticker or best bun looking at the door weight sticker?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Good reminder, thanks. Easiest way to spot one? Is it an option that I'd see on the window sticker or best bun looking at the door weight sticker?
I dunno about best "bun" but your best bet is to look at factory weight ratings in the driver's door jamb sticker.

I would never rely on a salesperson's speech, many would sell you a Hyundai if they could make more $$$.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I dunno about best "bun" but your best bet is to look at factory weight ratings in the driver's door jamb sticker.

I would never rely on a salesperson's speech, many would sell you a Hyundai if they could make more $$$.

Never saw an F150 sticker above 7050 gvwr myself. Not wanting to search dealer lots personally, opening doors, etc. Seems like there's a configuration that you can web search for. All I've heard about is hdpp which is pretty much order only.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #14

It gets a bit confusing on the F-150. Shopping new inventory? Ford window sticker will usually cover the optional GVWR package, and Max Trailer Tow, and/or HDPP (heavy duty payload package) and more.

SmokeyWren covered the rare, and limited choice of configurations HDPP in this other recent thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Almost exactly my situation last fall when I ordered my 2019 F-150. The answer is an F-150 with the heavy duty payload package (HDPP). But the fly in the cream is that Ford no longer offers the F-150 Lariat with HDPP ... The fanciest available with HDPP is XLT trim with 301A trim pkg.

If you and your sweetheart can enjoy XLT 301A trim, then order F-150 with 3.5L Ecoboost engine, HDPP and the max tow pkg. There are other restrictions in ordering HDPP, such as you must order the "long" bed, 6.5' on a SuperCrew or 8' on a SuperCab.

If you order an F-250, there are no restrictions to worry about. You can have almost any configuration you want, long or short bed, any trim level, gas or diesel engine.

After we retired, we bought a new 25' fifth-wheel RV trailer and a new Ford Diesel CrewCab to pull it with. We didn't "full time RV", but we put about 10,000 miles per year on our rig. After 10 years, we downsized to a small TT towed by an F-150 3.5L. That 3.5L EcoBoost engine is an amazing powerplant, so we ordered it again in our 2019.
(2018) XL, XLT, LARIAT only
Heavy-Duty Payload Package2 (n/a with diesel): 3.73 electronic-locking rear axle, 9.75" gearset, 36-gallon fuel tank, upgraded springs, 17" silver heavy-duty steel wheels with LT245/70R17E BSW all-terrain tires on XL, and 18" silver heavy-duty aluminum wheels with LT275/65R18C OWL all-terrain tires on XLT and LARIAT

Page 30 covers the tow/payload packages for 2018.
Page 34 covers payload option breakdown.
https://www.ford.com/services/assets...-150&year=2018

If I'm understanding correctly for 2018, trucks with HDPP will be the only ones with the 7,850 GVWR, and payload varies on remaining configurations, but it means long bed only, regardless of cab choice, along with other restrictions. Looks like less trim choices for 2019.

Clear as mud...
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat