Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #1

What can be pulled with a Chevy Trailblazer?

I have 7900 lbs pull cap. with wd. would a 25 footer be pullable? its a six banger engine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #2

I have to say that's impressive. Your Trailblazer has about the same towing capacity as my 1/2 ton truck with a V8. I towed a 25' fiberglass TT with authority...not the lighter ones. Not sure about your wheelbase though. Just the other day I came up on a Trailblazer towing something that size or bigger (couldn't tell the length), and he was all over the place. You also have to consider how much weight you put on the rear axle. Good Luck.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
You need to look at some other weight ratings as well. tongue weight, rear axle capacity, and make sure you have tires rated for all the extra weight. Also check the GVWR and make sure you include the tongue weight and all persons and gear in the vehicle.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #4

I am looking into a used HA and of course having to calculate the weight. oh, typo. its actually 7100 lbs stamped right on the hitch receiver. Although the TV may be limited in what it can pull, I would only use it to pull very very locally. plans are to get a bigger truck but I certainly don't want to shell out a lot of moola to find I can't invest further.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Fyi, the numbers stamped on your hitch are not the numbers you are looking for. Your door drivers side door jamb should have the numbers you need. Also a hensley will add about 250lb to your tongue weight. Please be cautious when selecting a trailer to tow. There are a lot of families that share the same road you will be on including mine. Do your home work and dont tow illegally.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

There is a lot more involved here than just tow capacity. You need a vehicle that is heavy enough and big enough to control the tow. If your vehicle isn't up to it the trailer will pull it all over the place. Even on a short trip you can wind up killing your family or others.

Also you need to consider the tongue weight. There is usually a big difference between what the manuf. spec. says and reality. They are considering it empty without what they consider options, like the bed, AC, heater, refrig.,two 30lb propane tanks and a battery, etc., etc. For example mine the spec. is 630 lbs. but it actually weighs in (dry, nothing heavy in the bins) at 850lbs. I'd add 200 lbs to whatever the spec. is.

My opinion, buy a smaller, lighter weight trailer that you can handle. You're camping you don't need all of the comforts of home. Rough it a little.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #7

I wouldn't tow anything more than a 4x8' utility trailer with your favorite tent in it.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #8

From what I can 5500 is max towing capacity.

I tow with a chevy colorado which is a inline 5. And we share the same transmission. And you are not making much more for power or torque.

I found with my truck I tow a 20ft trailer with a uvw of 2900 pounds and I would not really go any heavier than this set up. Tows very well up all hills and feels good on the road.

You will or should add a transmission cooler and just make sure to tow in 3rd gear or the transmission will keep hunting for gears.

Best of luck in your search. But you will or should go smaller.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
I am looking into a used HA and of course having to calculate the weight. oh, typo. its actually 7100 lbs stamped right on the hitch receiver.
Numbers stamped on hitches relate only to that component's capacity. That one's clearly aftermarket- Chevy didn't put out any Trailblazer with that much tow capacity. The more common limit is more like 5500 pounds, depending on model/year.

In fact, if yours is a 1999 (the first year the Trailblazer trim/name was sold) it may be as low as 3500 pounds.

What year/ model is yours?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #10

I have a buddy who pulls a cub hybrid 19' camper with his trail blazer. It's rated to pull it, but it's probably as much as his vehicle can handle and probably over loaded. It weighs 2,900lbs empty, and closer to to 3,500. He has WD and sway control. Definitely takes a toll on his mileage and you can tell when you are going up hill. If I were you, I'd stay in the sub 3,000lb range.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #11

If you get a smaller RV you'll end up getting something bigger shortly after and a truck. Go with you can afford even if it's a pop up camper. That's how we started and had tons of fun for many years with it. Have fun.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I have to say that's impressive. Your Trailblazer has about the same towing capacity as my 1/2 ton truck with a V8. I towed a 25' fiberglass TT with authority...not the lighter ones. Not sure about your wheelbase though. Just the other day I came up on a Trailblazer towing something that size or bigger (couldn't tell the length), and he was all over the place. You also have to consider how much weight you put on the rear axle. Good Luck.
I had a 2002 TrailBlazer EXT 4x4. It's payload was about 1,400 lbs. The wheelbase was 129", which is 13" longer than a Tahoe and 1" shorter than a Suburban. I towed a 19' TT, which had a 5,900# GVWR. It did fine with a WDH. The heavy weight and long wheelbase made it very stable. My longest tow was from Richmond to Myrtle Beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	416222_350327005037274_1726132682_o.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	62398  
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #13

There are plenty of campers you can tow. Just about any pop-up, any teardrop like T@B, and many smallish hard shell campers.

If you go too big you will not like the white knuckled and continual steering correction needed as you go down the road.

I would stay well under the max. as the easier it is to tow the more you will enjoy camping.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
I had a 2002 TrailBlazer EXT 4x4. It's payload was about 1,400 lbs. The wheelbase was 129", which is 13" longer than a Tahoe and 1" shorter than a Suburban. I towed a 19' TT, which had a 5,900# GVWR. It did fine with a WDH. The heavy weight and long wheelbase made it very stable. My longest tow was from Richmond to Myrtle Beach.
Yours looks fine. The one I saw didn't look right at all. The trailer was much longer and it seemed the Trailblazer was shorter. He couldn't keep it straight. He wasn't driving it at all...the TT was driving him. I got away from him as quickly as I could.

Tags
chevy