Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
6mm

What can I tow

Hello,
We are looking for a new TT and it might be a Open Range Roamer
with a dry weight of 7760 Model RT316RLS hitch weight of 1300lbs trailer length 33.8 ft
Now the Question??
I have a 2012 F350 SRW with 6.2L Engine Crew Cab (Four Doors) short box
I have a reeseWDH with sway control that I use on the trailer I will be trading in.
Keep it in simple terms please will my truck do the job because I dont know how to figure what the truck can tow.
Thanks
6mm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

Go to the 2012 guide and look on page 19. This will get you an idea of what the truck is rated for. You will likely have to weigh your truck and intended load to verify all the numbers are correct.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
6mm

Thanks James,
What should I know about tongue weight on the truck does that make a difference.
10%-12% seems to be the magic number but how does it effect the truck if any.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
Thanks James,
What should I know about tongue weight on the truck does that make a difference.
10%-12% seems to be the magic number but how does it effect the truck if any.
You will have no problems.
It's better to get the trailer you like.
Your gas tank might get to small.
But for short trips it should be ok.
Every one I talk to with gas sd's tell me how thirsty they are.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
You will have no problems.
It's better to get the trailer you like.
Your gas tank might get to small.
But for short trips it should be ok.
Every one I talk to with gas sd's tell me how thirsty they are.
10,000# GVWR and 34' length, I read wat too many post of people asking to pull that with a F150 EB!!Your F350 will do just fine, may have issues with passing a gas station, but will pull the load and handle fine.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hello,
with a dry weight of 7760 Model RT316RLS hitch weight of 1300lbs trailer length 33.8 ft
Dry weights are meaningless. Nobody tows a dry TT. Use the GVWR of the TT as the estimated weight of the TT when wet and loaded on the road. Then use 15% of the GVWR of the TT as the estimated hitch weight (tongue weight or TW) of the wet and loaded TT.

The RT316RLS TT has a GVWR of 9990 . That's 7760 Unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) + 2230 gross NCC (net carrying capacity). So hitch weight will be as much as 1,500 pounds when wet and loaded on the road. That 1,500 pounds is your limiter when matching to a tow vehicle.

Quote:
GVWR = 11,200 pounds. Minus 1,500 pounds hitch weight = 9,700 pounds max weight of the wet and loaded F-350 SRW before you tie onto the trailer. Your F-350 SRW probably won't weigh more than about 9,000 pounds before you tie onto the trailer, so you have plenty of truck to tow that TT.

Exception is if you also haul a big auxiliary fuel tank, or a very heavy toolbox full of tools, or both, in the bed when towing. In that case you could be close to the max, or even overloaded. In that case, weigh the wet and loaded truck before you order the trailer, then don't buy a trailer that will overload your tow vehicle.

Quote:
I have a reese WDH with sway control that I use on the trailer I will be trading in.
Easy to remove the WDH from the old trailer. Assuming the WD bars are rated for at last 10,000 pounds, if the dealer won't give you at least $200 for the old WDH with the old trailer, then remove it from the old trailer and install it on the new trailer. If the WD bars are rated for less than 10,000 pounds, then either buy a new WD hitch rated for at least 10,000 pounds, or replace the WD bars on the old hitch with new bars rated for at least 10,000 pounds.

Quote:
Keep it in simple terms please will my truck do the job because I dont know how to figure what the truck can tow.
For your tow vehicle, GVWR is your limiter. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded tow vehicle from the GVWR of the tow vehicle to determine the max hitch weight you can haul without being overloaded.

Ignore the Ford "tow ratings". Those are based on GCWR without considering GVWR. Your tow rating is over 12,000 pounds, but you'll run out of payload capacity (based on GVWR) before you reach the tow rating (based on GCWR).
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Hello,
Now the Question??
I have a reeseWDH with sway control that I use on the trailer I will be trading in.
Thanks
6mm
So get the towing specs for your truck and read them. The dealer or manufacturer has therm.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #8

You will be just fine IMO. Your F350 has plenty of payload capacity for the TT's tongue weight. The 6.2 won't pull like a diesel but you knew that when you bought it. https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS...FLRVTT_gde.pdf