Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #1

What can I tow ?

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7 V8 and factory tow package/Class 4 hitch. Also supposed to be prewired for a brake controller. First let me say I drive a truck pulling doubles for a living, (over 30 years in all) so I'm not about to go blasting down the highway at 80 mph... Now,, we are looking to get away from the class A MH we have and move to a TT. I will be getting a pickup (Ram 2500 4x4) in a year or two, but for now,, what would be a max TT that would not kill the Jeep,,, or us ??? I have the owners manual out,, it says a Class IV hitch with the V8 will handle a 6500lb trailer @ 30' max. No way I'd pull a 30' trailer with the short jeep, but we were thinking in the 24-25' range would suit us. GCWR says 10,500 lbs, also I'd stay short of. (I don't like being pushed around..... ) Also IF we do this I would be getting a good weight distributing hitch with sway control. (I have a lot to learn about that, but it says the factory tow setup is all ready to accept that) I'll be weighing the jeep at work to see what it weighs, then of course add the weight of DW and two dogs. That should get me an idea of a trailer weight (loaded) we could live with UNTIL we can afford a pickup..
Here is what I've found on line, which agrees with the owners manual...
Engine Transmission Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight4.7L Power Tech V8 5-speed automatic 6,500 lb

Tongue load limit 750lbs.

Idea's ???? I know some will say I can't tow anything,,, I'm just looking for real world experience pulling a TT with a similar sized TV... (tow vehicle) Thanks, Monkey

monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #2

Any idea what your rear axle ratio is ? don't know how your facory/dealer supplied can give you accurate tow ratings ?
Jim

Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

Yep,, it's 3.73 . Agrees with the owners manual. I had verified that last month when I changed all diff and transfer case fluids...
Old 06-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #4

All i can say is we have a 2010 Ram 1500 4.7 V8 3.55 with a max. 6400# tow rating and tow a 25 ft TT with 4600# dry weight. It has done fine, but we have only had it in the flats, and feel we about at the limit. Do the reserch on the trailers dry weight and loaded weight, can be a big difference. Back and forth to work (mostly hwy. ) i get about 21 mpg, the best so far with the trailer 11 mpg.
Do you ave a trans. temp. gauge on your Jeep ?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
All i can say is we have a 2010 Ram 1500 4.7 V8 3.55 with a max. 6400# tow rating and tow a 25 ft TT with 4600# dry weight. It has done fine, but we have only had it in the flats, and feel we about at the limit. Do the reserch on the trailers dry weight and loaded weight, can be a big difference. Back and forth to work (mostly hwy. ) i get about 21 mpg, the best so far with the trailer 11 mpg.
Do you ave a trans. temp. gauge on your Jeep ?
No I don't,, have a trans temp gauge, but that would be a must I think... The "tow package" on this jeep also comes with high temp power steering including oil cooler, added trans cooler,, etc....
Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #6

Smoky Wren will probably give you specifics very soon, and he has good advice. The GCWR seems low at 10,500, so that may be your biggest limiting factor. 750 tongue weight seems decent (10-15% trailer weight), but I can't imagine the Jeep only weighs 4,000 pounds which is what you would need to pull a 6500 trailer and stay at 10,500 combined. My truck weighs closer to 5,900 so if you are in the 5,000 range you would want to stay under 5,000 for the trailer when it is loaded up. Remember that you, the wife and your "stuff" will add to the cargo weight in the jeep, so you may need to load things in the trailer instead.

There are some great options out there in the "under 5k" weight range, and some of the newer hybrids (hard sides with tent ends) are really nice now. You can get a 24' hybrid Roo trailer with decent weights that opens to about 30' and even has slides for space. Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromGC View Post
Smoky Wren will probably give you specifics very soon, and he has good advice. The GCWR seems low at 10,500, so that may be your biggest limiting factor. 750 tongue weight seems decent (10-15% trailer weight), but I can't imagine the Jeep only weighs 4,000 pounds which is what you would need to pull a 6500 trailer and stay at 10,500 combined. My truck weighs closer to 5,900 so if you are in the 5,000 range you would want to stay under 5,000 for the trailer when it is loaded up. Remember that you, the wife and your "stuff" will add to the cargo weight in the jeep, so you may need to load things in the trailer instead.

There are some great options out there in the "under 5k" weight range, and some of the newer hybrids (hard sides with tent ends) are really nice now. You can get a 24' hybrid Roo trailer with decent weights that opens to about 30' and even has slides for space. Good luck with your decision!
Thankyou VERY much !!! I believe I weighed the jeep a few years ago and was supprised how heavy it was,,, but I'll recheck it at work.. I think you are right it is closer to 5K ... I appreciatte the positive input and great idea's !!!!
Guess I was looking for idea's on brands or layouts on what we could pull until we upgrade the tow vehicle . We know we'd like a slide out to give us floor space,,, but I know that adds weight.. Thanks again,
Monkey
Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Thankyou VERY much !!! I believe I weighed the jeep a few years ago and was supprised how heavy it was,,, but I'll recheck it at work.. I think you are right it is closer to 5K ... I appreciatte the positive input and great idea's !!!!
Guess I was looking for idea's on brands or layouts on what we could pull until we upgrade the tow vehicle . We know we'd like a slide out to give us floor space,,, but I know that adds weight.. Thanks again,
Monkey
You are obviously going about acquiring a TT with the right frame of mind. In order to select the "right" TT for you I would suggest you go out and kick some tires. You have a good idea of the weight you will be able to tow since you will know the GCVW and weight of your Jeep.

Big thing for you (IMO) is to find the perfect trailer layout for your needs. Having those ideas in mind you could head out to trailer shows, dealerships and take a look at different options. Sort of like a date outing with trailers in mind.

Fortunately there are not a lot of wildly varied floor layouts. You will find an overall layout you like and then it is a matter of considering the small variations between brands. Do you want a front entry or rear entry, front bed or rear bed, etc, etc. Then the color scheme - DW will advise here.

One thing that may be an issue is the size of your tow. If you are buying a 250 in the next two years will you be looking to upgrade the TT as well? Perhaps keeping the MH for a couple years and purchasing a new TV and TT at the same time will get a better match. IMHO
Old 06-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
You are obviously going about acquiring a TT with the right frame of mind. In order to select the "right" TT for you I would suggest you go out and kick some tires. You have a good idea of the weight you will be able to tow since you will know the GCVW and weight of your Jeep.

Big thing for you (IMO) is to find the perfect trailer layout for your needs. Having those ideas in mind you could head out to trailer shows, dealerships and take a look at different options. Sort of like a date outing with trailers in mind.

Fortunately there are not a lot of wildly varied floor layouts. You will find an overall layout you like and then it is a matter of considering the small variations between brands. Do you want a front entry or rear entry, front bed or rear bed, etc, etc. Then the color scheme - DW will advise here.

One thing that may be an issue is the size of your tow. If you are buying a 250 in the next two years will you be looking to upgrade the TT as well? Perhaps keeping the MH for a couple years and purchasing a new TV and TT at the same time will get a better match. IMHO
Very well put Gordon... we are in NO hurry to move from the MH to a trailer... This motorhome was our first rv,,, and we have learned a Lot,,, not to mention from the great folks here on IRV2 !!! We may just wait till I can talk her into a pickup,, then the right trailer (or 5th wheel) will be no problem... We did go to the local CW last weekend just to look, touch feel so to speak... Can't say as I'd buy there.. But we'll see... Luckly DW and I agree on a lot of things we want,,, a slide for floor space, a rear living room for all the windows, etc... Just don't want to rush into it again... Thankyou, and have a great day !!!!
Monkey
Old 06-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Several posts have been removed for personal attacks which are against our Community Rules.

Please discuss the issue & not each other.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7 V8 and factory tow package/Class 4 hitch… 3.73 axle ratio…Tongue load limit 750lbs.
Per Edmunds.com:
MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY** 6500 lbs.
MAXIMUM PAYLOAD**1000 lbs

The first thing wrong with your numbers is a class IV hitch has a minimum hitch weight rating of 1,000 pounds with a weight-distributing (WD) hitch. If your receiver has a max hitch weight rating of 750 pounds, then it's not a class IV hitch.

If Edmunds.com is right in that your max payload is only 1,000 pounds, then you cannot tow much of a trailer without exceeding the GVWR of your Jeep.

Generally, an SUV can either haul a cabin full of passengers or tow a small RV trailer, but not both at the same time without being overloaded. Your limiter is probably the GVWR of the Jeep.

As a pro trucker, you understand that you don't want to be overloaded over any of the manufacturer's weight ratings.

Ignore that 6,500 pound tow rating. You cannot get close to that without exceeding the GVWR of your Jeep.

Here's how to determine how much trailer you can tow without being overloaded:.

1] Load the Jeep with everyone and everything that will be in it when towing, including your WD hitch, tools, firewood? pets, ect.

2] Go to your old stompin' grounds - a truckstop that has a certified automated truck scale. Fill up with gas and weigh the wet and loaded Jeep.

3] Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded Jeep from the GVWR of the Jeep. The answer is the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded over the GVWR of the Jeep.

4] TT hitch weight varies from about 12% to 15% of gross trailer weight. If you want to be fairly certain you don't hit the road overloaded, then divide the max hitch weight you can have by 0.15. The answer is the max GVWR of any tandem-axle trailer you want to consider towing with your Jeep.

But that formula assumes you have a receiver rated for as much as the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded over the GVWR of the Jeep. 750 pounds max hitch weight divided by 0.15 = 5,000 pounds max trailer weight. So if your max trailer GVWR determined in step 4] above is more than 5,000 pounds, and your max hitch weight is 750 pounds with a WD hitch, then hitch capacity and not GVWR is your limiter.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #12

Thanks Smokey...
Old 06-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a 5er and certainly like that very much. Some really stability items that come to mind while I pull it. Our son has a TT and really likes all of the stuff he puts in the back of his truck. Our Grand daughters have lots of stuff to take with them.

We are moving to a MH with stacker to take all of the stuff we want.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #14

I weighed the Grand Cherokee last night . 2500 front, 1960 rear, just me and half tank of gas. So you figure full of gas, DW, and 2 Danes, I'm edging up on 5000 lbs...(10,500 GCVW) I'll wait on my 2500 Ram.... Maybe this will help others looking to tow with a GC. Thanks everybody. Monkey