Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #1

I have been doing a lot of research, but there are so many different formulas, I don't know which one to believe.

I have an 04 Expedition, 5.4 L engine with the tow package, which means my max towing (according to Ford) is 8950 and the GCWR is 14500.

The trailer we are considering is 32 feet long (from front hitch point to rear bumper) and has a GVWR of 7700 (I have been using the maximum in my calculations, since the manufacturer dry weight numbers are always low).

According to the "max tow is 80 - 85% of max tow rating" formula, I am right there. I am also under the GCWR, but the percentage is high (about 95%). Prodigy recommonds no more than 75% of GCWR (10,875 in this case), which puts me over.

Add that to the length issue - according to one formula, the longest I should be towing with my 119" wheel base is 20". According to a different formula, I can tow 32 feet (which is right where this trailer is at).

The trailer we were looking at is the Adirondak 27FK-DSL-BS, which has both a bedroom and living room area slide-out. My wife is disabled and we need a maximum amount of room to move around in the trailer. We also need a walk-around bed that has plenty of walk-around space (not inhale and squeeze against the wall).

I have also been told I can add a Banks system or an after-market chip that will boost the power on the Expedition. We will be towing mostly on flat land or hilly areas (Southern California), not mountain towing.

On one hand, I'm thinking go with this trailer and add on after-markets if I need more oomph. On the other hand, I don't want to burn this truck up - I plan to keep it a long time and can't afford a new(er) truck right now. I have a fair amount of towing experience, but the trailer we have right now is a Trailmanor at 23' towing length and about 4000#. The Expedition does really well with this.

Any words of wisdom? Alternate trailer suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #2

I have been doing a lot of research, but there are so many different formulas, I don't know which one to believe.

I have an 04 Expedition, 5.4 L engine with the tow package, which means my max towing (according to Ford) is 8950 and the GCWR is 14500.

The trailer we are considering is 32 feet long (from front hitch point to rear bumper) and has a GVWR of 7700 (I have been using the maximum in my calculations, since the manufacturer dry weight numbers are always low).

According to the "max tow is 80 - 85% of max tow rating" formula, I am right there. I am also under the GCWR, but the percentage is high (about 95%). Prodigy recommonds no more than 75% of GCWR (10,875 in this case), which puts me over.

Add that to the length issue - according to one formula, the longest I should be towing with my 119" wheel base is 20". According to a different formula, I can tow 32 feet (which is right where this trailer is at).

The trailer we were looking at is the Adirondak 27FK-DSL-BS, which has both a bedroom and living room area slide-out. My wife is disabled and we need a maximum amount of room to move around in the trailer. We also need a walk-around bed that has plenty of walk-around space (not inhale and squeeze against the wall).

I have also been told I can add a Banks system or an after-market chip that will boost the power on the Expedition. We will be towing mostly on flat land or hilly areas (Southern California), not mountain towing.

On one hand, I'm thinking go with this trailer and add on after-markets if I need more oomph. On the other hand, I don't want to burn this truck up - I plan to keep it a long time and can't afford a new(er) truck right now. I have a fair amount of towing experience, but the trailer we have right now is a Trailmanor at 23' towing length and about 4000#. The Expedition does really well with this.

Any words of wisdom? Alternate trailer suggestions?

Old 10-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #3

Shunter, I'm not going to get into all the towing formulas since you have already done your homework on that part of it. What I will tell you is this. I think you are going to be MAJORLY disappointed towing a trailer that long, and that weight with your expedition. I used to tow our 30' Sandpiper (6600lbs at cat scale) with our 03 Chevy Tahoe. The Tahoe has the 5.3l w/3:73 gears and is rated to tow 7700lbs. My Tahoe towed this combination just O.K. Start going up any hills or any kind incline and it would shift down into second gear and lose speed quicker than a snail stuck on sandpaper. Final straw was when the local dealership told me I was burning up my rear diff. by towing that much weight. I got the tow vechilce in my signature and can tell you from experience that there is no comparison. No comparison in power, or stability. Stability being the key here. I didn't realize how much the TT wagged the dog with the Tahoe compared to my 2500HD. I have an "Equalizer" brand hitch that I used on the Tahoe and now the truck. Towing now is a pleasure, not a white knuckle experience. One of the biggest things to keep in mind, at true TT is going to have tons of wind resistance compared to your Trailmanor. In my opinion it will make more difference than the weight difference between your Trailmanor and the Adirondak. Before my TT I used to tow the biggest Tent Trailer that Jayco made at the time. My Tahoe had no trouble with that like your Expedition has no trouble with the Trailmanor. Finally, If I were you, I would actually hook up your expedition to the Adirondak and take it for a test tow before making the plunge. That way, you will have a better feel for what you are getting yourself into before you actually spend the $$. I'm not trying to quash your dream, I just hopeful my my real life experience will save you some future grief.

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is more to towing than just pulling the weight. You need a vehicel that is stout enough to handle the trailer so that you do not get into the tail wagging the dog problem.

Personally I would not pull a trailer that long with an Expy. The EXPY is basically a short wheelbase truck and has a rather high center of gravity. The suspension is geared toward passenger comfort rather than towing.

I would stay with trailers under 25 or 26' with the EXPY or any SUV in that class, but that is my personal opinion and based on 25 years of RVing.

Ken
Old 10-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #5

Don't know if you've been to this site for information.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/help/gui...lingandtowing/

Dave
Old 10-22-2005, 08:47 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
there is a difference between what you can tow and what you can tow with some degree of comfort. There are lots of things to consider - you have touched on all of them - weight, wheelbase, TT length. I believe that your combination should fall in the OK or safe zone for any and all formulas. Also try to look at the physics involved here - esp on the wheelbase VS trailer length issues.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input. We have decided not to buy the new trailer right now. I think we would be OK with the tow, but it cuts a little close for comfort.

I think I'll just have to save up my pennies for a new truck in 2 or 3 years.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WHy not get a nice used trailer that is a bit smaller and well within your towing capabilities. This way you will not be hit withthe big deprecaition of a new RV and can use yor present truck. If you shop wisely and maintain the trailer, you can sell it in 2 or 3 years with a minimal loss and still have the fun camping.

ken
Old 10-23-2005, 08:15 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have also been told I can add a Banks system or an after-market chip that will boost the power on the Expedition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For the gas engines, I think you will be a bit disappointed with any chip to enhance the power. You will be required to burn premium fuel and the increase is marginal to say the least. It is not like adding a chip to a diesel.
Changing the shift pattern of the tranny is the biggest gain from a chip on a gasser.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #10

I just picked up my new 29'outback yesterday, it weighs in at 5700lbs dry. I tow with a 2005 chevy crew cab 1500, 143.5 inch WB 5.3L 8 with tow package and the documents say 7400lb limit with the 342 rear. Meyers install a great WD and sway setup and the truck sits flat. Towing up the parkway it was fine but any little hill and the down shift made me run at 2500 rpm at 65mph. I hit a big hill and it down shifted to second and drove it up to 4K. I would say this trailer max's out my truck, but it will handle it. I think a 32' with and expedition is a little out of the trucks league. Only my thoughts.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
nynethead:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Sounds like your truck has met its match ---- watch out going down hills and quick stops..

don