Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #29

Many factors unknown and suspect...
Actual wet weight of trailer.
Hitch weight with WD on.
Truck tires and pressures.
Pitch of the trailer (nose up = bad)

Somewhere in here is the answer to fixing your setup since "buy a bigger truck" is usually not a viable solutuion.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #30

Thanks DMTTRANSPORT

So far we have never towed at night, and i know i do not like the qwat i'm getting even with my WDH set at much as i can and still hook it up, so yes I'm looking at Air Lift 1000's . Any other input will help.

Also sorry to infringe on this thread !
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you know what your truck will tow? I thought some of the V-6 Tecoma's were rated at 6000 or 6500 lbs.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #32

While I kind of agree that your Taco may not be the BEST match for any towing- it certainly isn't outmatched I don't think. Even after this whole thread has degenerated into weight- I kind of suspect what hit you a couple of times was a heat wash or a dust devil. Completely random, like little mini cyclones and they come out of know where on or by hot pavement.

Just a thought. Even a tow vehicle as small as your Taco shouldn't induce alarming sway without a catalyst with that trailer. Many people tow larger with smaller.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Repost the pic in a new thread. I'm sure people will ask whether you've been to the scales to get weighed. What's the story with the truck? Can you trade up to a used 3/4 or 1 ton without loosing $$?
That's a much better solution than an expensive bandaid like airlift.
Also, if you ever go to sell you truck later on, anyone that sees the airlift will suspect it has had a life of hard towing. Not a good resale point.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:32 AM   #34
YC1

Were you going downhill versus a steady level pull? Downhill can get you in trouble fast. Manually applying the trailer brakes will often take the wag out quickly.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #35

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You can use 100 weight distributing hitches and sway control bars and if you do not have an adequate tow vehicle that can control the trailer you will have fish tailing. Good luck, hope the rig doesnt end up upside down like so many others.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #36

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Many factors unknown and suspect...
Actual wet weight of trailer.
Hitch weight with WD on.
Truck tires and pressures.
Pitch of the trailer (nose up = bad)

Somewhere in here is the answer to fixing your setup since "buy a bigger truck" is usually not a viable solutuion.

LOL, lots of guesses. A bigger truck that will control the trailer is the solution.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Thanks DMTTRANSPORT

So far we have never towed at night, and i know i do not like the qwat i'm getting even with my WDH set at much as i can and still hook it up, so yes I'm looking at Air Lift 1000's . Any other input will help.

Yes, Air Lift makes a nice, easy to install rear bag set up, I have the one with a gauge/air switch in the cab so you can adjust on the fly, If the 5000 series is in your budget you would get a better ride
Old 07-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #38

What people fail to take into account is trailer length. Think of it as a sail when you get cross winds. 25x8 =200 Sq ft. Some trailers are taller and more square footage. A light truck will be pushed by the trailer more than a bigger heavier truck. Here in Jacksonville Florida, we had a 45' container get pushed on its side crossing a bridge during a thunderstorm. That was an 18 wheeler! Cars,pickups, and other vehicles did not get flipped because they had less area to catch the wind.

Although we say weight a lot, take into consideration the length and height of these trailers behind these trucks catching side winds. Smaller trucks can't overcome this. I have even seen a container ship get blown away from the pier snapping the mooring lines! Wind against enough square feet will move things or destroy them.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
LOL, lots of guesses. A bigger truck that will control the trailer is the solution.
If we're talking trailer sway, by what means would a bigger truck better control what happens behind the pivot point?
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #40

In terms easily understood; a 12 year old farm boy is like the Tacoma size truck. He wants to do his share but is limited by his size. A 17 year old in good shape is like a 1\2 ton truck - he thinks he can do anything! A 25 year old fit man is like a 3/4 ton truck, he can do most anything he sets his mind to and sometimes does too much. A body builder is your 1 ton truck. Give them all a wheelbarrow with 350 lbs in it and see who controls it best. Extrapolate the numbers to trailer weights and it is the same. A Tacoma (12 year old boy) can't do what grown men can!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #41

NFLcamper - I read your post twice trying to poke holes in it. I could not find any flaw in your analogy. I have to agree those guys that do the ' strong man' contests are 1ton dually equivalent people to trucks.

One thing that a few people touched on that I think needs another mention.

When trucks say they can tow X weight I bet they can safety tow a flat bed trailer with bricks stacked flat of that weight. Add the high sides and frontal area of a camping trailer and now you have a different ball game. I think a sailboat sail will have about the same area as a camping trailer side wall. Ever see how a sailboat heels over in the wind?

It is a fact that a longer wheelbase makes a better TV. The Tacoma, being too small also has a very short wheel base.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
In terms easily understood; a 12 year old farm boy is like the Tacoma size truck. He wants to do his share but is limited by his size. A 17 year old in good shape is like a 1\2 ton truck - he thinks he can do anything! A 25 year old fit man is like a 3/4 ton truck, he can do most anything he sets his mind to and sometimes does too much. A body builder is your 1 ton truck. Give them all a wheelbarrow with 350 lbs in it and see who controls it best. Extrapolate the numbers to trailer weights and it is the same. A Tacoma (12 year old boy) can't do what grown men can!
If we're talking trailer sway, by what means would a bigger truck better control what happens behind the pivot point?
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote