Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
In terms easily understood; a 12 year old farm boy is like the Tacoma size truck. He wants to do his share but is limited by his size. A 17 year old in good shape is like a 1\2 ton truck - he thinks he can do anything! A 25 year old fit man is like a 3/4 ton truck, he can do most anything he sets his mind to and sometimes does too much. A body builder is your 1 ton truck. Give them all a wheelbarrow with 350 lbs in it and see who controls it best. Extrapolate the numbers to trailer weights and it is the same. A Tacoma (12 year old boy) can't do what grown men can!
There's no explanation here, merely circular reasoning and assertion. No answer as to how a bigger truck would actually better control what happens behind the pivot other than because it's...bigger. I want a cogent explanation of how the size of the tow vehicle in front of the pivot can prevent or damp oscillations behind the pivot point, not a reassertion that it does.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #44

It takes a bigger sway to disrupt a bigger truck. If a driver gets that "Oh Poo" feeling with a small truck, and he moves to a bigger HEAVIER truck, that input from the trailer has less effect on the bigger truck. The sway may be there, but now the bigger truck isn't moved like the smaller truck. I guess you have never seen a TT and TV on their side ? Usually happens fairly quickly when a TT starts swaying and the TV isn't heavy enough to stay it's course and gets snatched over by the trailer. I have seen a few Ford Explorers on their sides with good size trailers attached or were attached before the wreck. Toyota Tacoma and Tundra trucks too. Recently on I 295 , just look up my post about it. Match truck to trailer is all I say.

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #45

On a side note, if you get sway and you have a big truck, don't ignore it. Stop and find out what is going on. Load shift? Do you need to shift some weight somewhere in the trailer? Tires low? Continued sway isn't good for the trailer tires. If it was a gust of wind and not enough to concern you, keep going. Otherwise you are inviting trouble.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #46

As many have said, and I agree, a bit more tongue weight will help, but the root cause of the problem is the Taco is just a bit undersize. Between truck weight, wheelbase and track width, all these factor into why a bigger truck will help.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #47

Update! I've read and agree with nearly every point made in this thread and I thank everyone sincerely for their thoughts. This is all very useful information and I've learned more than I ever expected from this discussion. Taking everything I've read into account, I've decided to go bigger on the front end. Tomorrow morning, I'm returning my new Tacoma to the dealership where I bought it and trading it for a Tundra. I know the Tundra isn't exactly a monster truck, but it's much bigger and heavier than the Tacoma and I believe it will mitigate many of the tow-related problems I've experienced... and it has all-leather seats I promise everyone who's following this thread, I'll post pictures of the new TV this weekend. Thanks again for all your help.
roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #48

Looking and comparing the specs on Tacoma and Tundra, the Tacoma paylod seems like it needs a disclaimer. They are only ~300 lbs less on the payload, which would seem to support 600 lbs on the bed of the truck, but the difference between 600 lbs of pavers or mulch sitting in the bed of the truck is not the same thing as 600 lbs of tongue weight with a full height TT (wind sail) behind it. The truck can support the tongue weight, but doesn't weigh enough itself to control the TT.

Seems like the Tacoma should have a frontal area limit for towing.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #49

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know I am late to the discussion, but I would suggest the OP go back and re-read the instructions for leveling the load on the TV. If the instructions are terrible, go to Equal-i-zer and watch their videos or printed instructions on the principle of leveling and distributing the weight on the TV and trailer. Make sure any connections on the hitch are as they should be according to the manual.

Buying a bigger TV will help, but without proper set up of the hitch and good weight distribution, you might not get rid of the issue.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I know I am late to the discussion, but I would suggest the OP go back and re-read the instructions for leveling the load on the TV. If the instructions are terrible, go to Equal-i-zer and watch their videos or printed instructions on the principle of leveling and distributing the weight on the TV and trailer. Make sure any connections on the hitch are as they should be according to the manual.

Buying a bigger TV will help, but without proper set up of the hitch and good weight distribution, you might not get rid of the issue.
Thank you. There are a few things I've read that I failed to acknowledge and probably should. I've never pulled the trailer with any fluids in it, it's always bone dry and since I'm also a biker, I'm kind of OCD about packing what little amount of personal belongings we take with us evenly within the trailer and cargo holds. As far as the WDH, I've ensured that every aspect of its installation and connection to the trailer are at "military specs." I believe the point made in the discussion that carries the most weight (with me) is that the Tacoma I bought nearly six months ago is just a little undermatched for the size trailer I bought only a few months ago. Had I known then that I would buy this particular trailer, I would have opted for the Tundra in the beginning, but who knew... Anyway, I think the Tundra will easily pull my trailer and also give me more authority over sway than my current set up and I'm looking forward to our next trip. Malibu, here we come!
roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #51

Good call on more pickup Have fun!!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #52

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Looking and comparing the specs on Tacoma and Tundra, the Tacoma paylod seems like it needs a disclaimer. They are only ~300 lbs less on the payload, which would seem to support 600 lbs on the bed of the truck, but the difference between 600 lbs of pavers or mulch sitting in the bed of the truck is not the same thing as 600 lbs of tongue weight with a full height TT (wind sail) behind it. The truck can support the tongue weight, but doesn't weigh enough itself to control the TT.

Seems like the Tacoma should have a frontal area limit for towing.

I'm sorry but this statement is not correct. The Tacoma weighs the same if not slightly more than the TT and if this was the case then everyone on the road including 3/4 and 1 tons would be considered not heavy enough to control the TT. The big boys pulling 15,000 lb behind an 8000 lb truck they are near double (2:1) TV vs Trailer weight ratio. The name of the game is tire surface area, and not exceeding your TV weight ratings. Bigger truck, yes it will be a smoother ride., can the Taco pull this trailer safely yes with proper setup and driving. Btw tow ratings and MPG are based on 55 MPH no matter what you drive. Good thread!
Old 07-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
If we're talking trailer sway, by what means would a bigger truck better control what happens behind the pivot point?
That's the right question. A bigger truck can help if sway has started to not let it get away from you, but sway is an issue with trailer setup... tow vehicle is only relevant to determine hitch ball height.

You can hook it to an F550 and go swaying comfortably down the road, but that is NOT the solution to the issue.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
Update! I've read and agree with nearly every point made in this thread and I thank everyone sincerely for their thoughts. This is all very useful information and I've learned more than I ever expected from this discussion. Taking everything I've read into account, I've decided to go bigger on the front end. Tomorrow morning, I'm returning my new Tacoma to the dealership where I bought it and trading it for a Tundra. I know the Tundra isn't exactly a monster truck, but it's much bigger and heavier than the Tacoma and I believe it will mitigate many of the tow-related problems I've experienced... and it has all-leather seats I promise everyone who's following this thread, I'll post pictures of the new TV this weekend. Thanks again for all your help.
It's a good decision, but do me (and yourself) a favor and measure the ball height of the Taco and the Tundra. Since the Tundra is likely higher, the trailer will be higher in the front, which is the opposite of what you want.

This is the catch 22 with big truck, small trailer.

Slightly nose down is critical for a stable trailer. So see if you can adjust the hitch to drop the ball height.
And go easy on weight distribution. Hitch weight is your friend, so unless it's got some serious sag, I wouldn't overdo it.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxrainman View Post
I'm sorry but this statement is not correct. The Tacoma weighs the same if not slightly more than the TT and if this was the case then everyone on the road including 3/4 and 1 tons would be considered not heavy enough to control the TT. The big boys pulling 15,000 lb behind an 8000 lb truck they are near double (2:1) TV vs Trailer weight ratio. The name of the game is tire surface area, and not exceeding your TV weight ratings. Bigger truck, yes it will be a smoother ride., can the Taco pull this trailer safely yes with proper setup and driving. Btw tow ratings and MPG are based on 55 MPH no matter what you drive. Good thread!
In spirit, I agree, but the bigger trucks have the suspension and brakes and TIRES to handle the load (80psi+).
Old 07-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxrainman View Post
Big difference between a Pull Trailer and a Fifth Wheel Trailer...