Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #57

Well folks keep hinting on a bigger truck being able to handle the trailer better. Yes it would, but the reason should be understood, a bigger truck has bigger, stiffer sidewall tires.

The OP's truck would realise an immediate benefit if he used higher air pressures in the tires of the towing vehicle.

If this means an upgrade in his tire selection for his truck, that's a bargain compared to a new truck, and added safety factor.

Using a friction type sway control bar on a vehicle with too soft of a tire is not going to help his situation.

Every time a cross wind hits his trailer, the rear and his front tires of the truck are forced into a sidewall flex. The tires then act as a rubber band and spring back to shape. At the same time, the driver is correcting for the sway, and the designed steering geometry of the truck is correcting. This results in an over correction that continues until it either dampens out on it's own or the driver can stop it.

If we are over tightening the (WD) bars, we or not using them as designed. We should never shift more weight forward than it takes to level the towing vehicle. If it takes more than half the chain at the end of the leveling spring then we need helper springs, and are at the towing vehicle's suspension limits.

These things I've learned from years of experience and of course researching remedies to issues I've had in trailer pulling. I'm not familiar with the OP's trailer length, but I'll add, if it has six feet or more of tail behind the wheels, you will never get rid of the sway completely with the truck you are towing it with.

Bottom line, Harder tires first, this is like fooling the trailer into thinking it's being pulled by a heavier truck by eliminating most if not all of the sidewall flexing.

Adjust your (WD) bars to level the truck, and not nosed down. You need weight on the rear to keep it stabilized.

Sometimes your tongue weight is too light, be sure to check your trailer ballance.

Hope thats helps
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #58

You should google hensley hitch and watch their video. Sway control is not the answer you want sway PREVENTION. With the hensley hitch or simular types of sway prevention you will move the pivot point further forward on the truck such as a fith wheel. You will still get pushed by the wind as a motorhome does but you will have much more control as that scary sway is not present. Those friction type controllers are a cheap useless bandaid and result in to many unsafe configurations.

Ps if you stay with your current setup even with the new truck, try leaning the hitch at an angle away from the truck towards the trailer. Straight verticle setups dont allow for proper setup of the wd bars on some configs.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxrainman View Post
I'm sorry but this statement is not correct. The Tacoma weighs the same if not slightly more than the TT and if this was the case then everyone on the road including 3/4 and 1 tons would be considered not heavy enough to control the TT. The big boys pulling 15,000 lb behind an 8000 lb truck they are near double (2:1) TV vs Trailer weight ratio. The name of the game is tire surface area, and not exceeding your TV weight ratings. Bigger truck, yes it will be a smoother ride., can the Taco pull this trailer safely yes with proper setup and driving. Btw tow ratings and MPG are based on 55 MPH no matter what you drive. Good thread!
When you hook up to a 5th wheel the Pin weight is directly over the axle and that weight becomes the trucks payload and part of the truck. A 15,000# trailer is reduced by its pin weight , which is 15 -20% of the trailer, becoming a 12,000 - 13,000# trailer AND it is hooked up over the truck and not 3 - 6 foot behind the axle! This is why it is legal to tow behind a 5th wheel in some states. It is also why a 15,000 to 20,000# semi truck cab can tow 60,000# or more! 3× its own weight, up to 80,000# GCWR highway legal. I see 18 wheelers come into the port of Jax weighing 102,000# daily of which the cab weight averages 16,500#! That is more than 4x it's weight! With overweight permits of course.

With a TT the tongue weight is 3 - 6 foot behind the trucks axle. Although it is part of the trucks payload it is behind the wheels not over them. That weight , that far back is like using a lever pushing down (or sideways with sway) on the rear axle and lifting up the front axle. This is where a WDH transfers the weight, but it is still 3 -6 foot behind the truck and won't stop sway if the truck isn't heavy enough to NOT get thrown around by the trailer. My trailers GVWR is 11,800# and the hitch is 4 foot behind my trucks axle. That is a 4 foot lever shaking my truck with 9,400# (actual weight) when I get wind off other vehicles. I have towed it with a 5,500# 1500 GMC and a 7,200# 2500 Dodge. Same actual tires from the GMC are on the Dodge now (I had 2 sets for the GMC) load range E and I can testify that the 2500 tows better than the 1500. Not talking power wise, but the stability of the weight of the truck. The GMC had the HD tow package and didn't squat any more than the 2500 does now, but there is a noticeable difference when getting passed by trucks. Wasn't the sidewall flex - same tires! Truck weighs more and isn't pushed by the trailer as much.

Think of being in line somewhere and have someone behind you pushing you , then think of them pushing someone smaller, you weren't moved as much as the smaller person because you can stand your ground better because you are bigger.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #60

Jayco Owners Club
Nflcamper, Thank You! This is a great explanation of the "Wag the dog" expression. A lot of engineering and calculation goes into tow vehicles and truck and trailer setups and I wanted to make sure folks are not confused about trailer weight verses truck weight and making sure you pay attention to GCWR.
genxrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #61

Thank you for your service. Scale your truck and tt make sure the weight is good if not adjust the weight. Your truck is fine and slow down to 55 and enjoy the ride.
TL259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
It's a good decision, but do me (and yourself) a favor and measure the ball height of the Taco and the Tundra. Since the Tundra is likely higher, the trailer will be higher in the front, which is the opposite of what you want.

This is the catch 22 with big truck, small trailer.

Slightly nose down is critical for a stable trailer. So see if you can adjust the hitch to drop the ball height.
And go easy on weight distribution. Hitch weight is your friend, so unless it's got some serious sag, I wouldn't overdo it.
Hi and thanks for the advice. Yes, I'm very much aware of that factor and actually, to my surprise, I only had to adjust the height of my hitch ball by one hole; reason being, my Tacoma had very high-profile, balloon tires on it to give it height and now, my new Tundra Limited has very sporty, lower profile tires on it, so the hitch receiver on both trucks is nearly the same height... Go figure. I'm still waiting on the wiring harness for the brake controller to arrive before I can hook up the trailer and take pictures. I LOVE my new Tundra!
roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #63

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
Hi and thanks for the advice. Yes, I'm very much aware of that factor and actually, to my surprise, I only had to adjust the height of my hitch ball by one hole; reason being, my Tacoma had very high-profile, balloon tires on it to give it height and now, my new Tundra Limited has very sporty, lower profile tires on it, so the hitch receiver on both trucks is nearly the same height... Go figure. I'm still waiting on the wiring harness for the brake controller to arrive before I can hook up the trailer and take pictures. I LOVE my new Tundra!

Yes pictures please, you will love the Tundra!
Old 08-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxrainman View Post
Yes pictures please, you will love the Tundra!
As promised, here's our new baby! We just returned from a week at Point Mugu Naval Air Station and I didn't have a lick of trouble pulling my trailer there or back from southern Arizona. The Tundra handled beautifully and pulls like a dream, of course I would expect so, since it comes standard with a great towing package... many more worry-free trips now planned!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150721_095519-1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	103645  
Old 08-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #65

Cool beans...that is a great looking truck. Who would have thought the manufacturers would make a truck that nice and that capable.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
As promised, here's our new baby! We just returned from a week at Point Mugu Naval Air Station and I didn't have a lick of trouble pulling my trailer there or back from southern Arizona. The Tundra handled beautifully and pulls like a dream, of course I would expect so, since it comes standard with a great towing package... many more worry-free trips now planned!
Looks good!
Now update that signature!
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #67

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Looks good!
Now update that signature!
Whoops!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #68

Jayco Owners Club
Great looking Truck!
Old 08-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #69

An excellent resource article: Choosing the Right Tow Vehicle
bighatnohors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #70

Something I remember from friends that towed TT was to watch the wheelbase of tow vehicle. Just a quick look the Tacoma has a 127 in WB and the Tundra has a 145 in WB. Not only bigger will help and longer will also.

And to give you an idea on weight next time you are towing run by a Flying J or Pilot and go across the scale, just check with the fuel desk cashier first. Check on line and you can find public scales that might not be as busy and can give you each axle weight.