Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #71

Would everyone agree that my truck and trailer are now better matched?

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and information I received in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Profile.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	104641  

roadhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #72

I agree...good job.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #73

Looks like a great setup!
Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #74

It is amazing how different it is, towing with the right setup. You are not as tensed up as you were with less tow vehicle. The inputs from wind, speed, road conditions and other stuff to the trailer is felt less and the tow vehicle stays steadier, making for a more enjoyable drive. Now you know that if something happens, your truck is better equipped to handle an emergency situation, weather swerving to avoid something or hard braking or whatever. Feels good, I know, because I too had to upgrade my truck from one that was paid for. Payments suck, but knowing that I am safer for my family and everyone I pass by is worth the payments I make so I can arrive alive.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
Would everyone agree that my truck and trailer are now better matched?

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and information I received in this thread.
Looks like a perfect match for sure but I don't know if it's just the angle of the picture but the trailer looks a little high in the front to me.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #76

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Could just be fish-eye effect of the camera lense.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
Looks like a perfect match for sure but I don't know if it's just the angle of the picture but the trailer looks a little high in the front to me.
And the hitch bars appear awfully low maybe high center potential? Chain adjustment needed? I don't have this hitch, but my Husky Centerline bars with hard mount when adjusted rig level do not extend that low.
Trying to give constructive input on overall rig configuration beyond that of just the truck size.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onstar20 View Post
And the hitch bars appear awfully low maybe high center potential? Chain adjustment needed? I don't have this hitch, but my Husky Centerline bars with hard mount when adjusted rig level do not extend that low.
Trying to give constructive input on overall rig configuration beyond that of just the truck size.
No, thanks guys. I really appreciate your observations and comments. I used my cell phone to take this photo and I'm not sure if there's a lens effect there, but the truck and trailer were both sitting absolutely level (on the bubble) in that parking lot. Regarding the hitch bars, when I took this photo, they were both perfectly parallel to the tongue rails, as I learned they should be from watching WDH installation and hook up videos. During my recent trip to California, I didn't have any trouble with control, braking, or the swaying issue that plagued my previous set up, so I think I'm doing alright now. If I were to make any kind of adjustment before my next trip, it would only be to increase the tension on the hitch bars by one link on the chain. That would lift the back of the truck just a hair, which isn't necessary, and I'm afraid it would also lift the trailer tongue, thus lifting the front of the trailer, which I don't want either. The suspension on the Tundra is wicked strong and more than ample for supporting the tongue weight of this particular trailer with hardly a dip. I only use the WDH now for good measure.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:00 AM   #79

Quote:
No, thanks guys. I really appreciate your observations and comments. I used my cell phone to take this photo and I'm not sure if there's a lens effect there, but the truck and trailer were both sitting absolutely level (on the bubble) in that parking lot. Regarding the hitch bars, when I took this photo, they were both perfectly parallel to the tongue rails, as I learned they should be from watching WDH installation and hook up videos. During my recent trip to California, I didn't have any trouble with control, braking, or the swaying issue that plagued my previous set up, so I think I'm doing alright now. If I were to make any kind of adjustment before my next trip, it would only be to increase the tension on the hitch bars by one link on the chain. That would lift the back of the truck just a hair, which isn't necessary, and I'm afraid it would also lift the trailer tongue, thus lifting the front of the trailer, which I don't want either. The suspension on the Tundra is wicked strong and more than ample for supporting the tongue weight of this particular trailer with hardly a dip. I only use the WDH now for good measure.

Very strong truck to carry the weight for sure, but you will be light on the front wheels without WDH to transfer the load forward through the frame to the front axle. You could still appear to be truck level but still be light on the front wheels. Need to go to a CAT scale to know for sure but most likely.

Sway control is most desirable during adverse conditions (e.g., side winds, collision avoidance, etc) and living in Cali here we rarely have them days so it is not surprising your trip to Cali was uneventful except for avoiding the mostly predictable crazy drivers, lol. You indicate your WDH has sway control; use it for more than "good measure", i.e., use it more for "minimum safety" for you, your family and others on the road; please don't tow without WDH/SC.

The hitch receiver head has the bar angle adjustment you would use to bring those bars up without the increased pre-loading caused by cinching up a chain link or two thus raising the truck bed/TT front you mentioned. This is a fine adjustment not explained in product installation and Utube videos; a trained/experienced tech is the way to get it right. By the photo the bars appear to be lower than the TT axle. In the setup you have you most likely will have a nice ride but with the high center drag potential by observance of your photo. Below is a pic of my WDH/SC setup where it is hard to see in the photo that I have about 12" bar-to-ground clearance.

Not wanting to over due it but also curious by looking at your rig photo; what is the truck tire load range? Sometimes the stock tire has a lower load range for truck ride quality. Check this for sure as when in your trip ready load weight configuration, you may not have the desirable load range safety margin tire that will have higher air pressure (e.g., 85 psi) stiffer side wall tires. I run 10 ply load range E but course with my van unloaded it weights in un-hitched at 6400 lbs.

FYI, more TV/TT videos on my Utube; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPL...MhcvWVdq13JA0Q
Happy Travels!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WDH.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	105117  
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onstar20 View Post
Very strong truck to carry the weight for sure, but you will be light on the front wheels without WDH to transfer the load forward through the frame to the front axle. You could still appear to be truck level but still be light on the front wheels. Need to go to a CAT scale to know for sure but most likely.

Sway control is most desirable during adverse conditions (e.g., side winds, collision avoidance, etc) and living in Cali here we rarely have them days so it is not surprising your trip to Cali was uneventful except for avoiding the mostly predictable crazy drivers, lol. You indicate your WDH has sway control; use it for more than "good measure", i.e., use it more for "minimum safety" for you, your family and others on the road; please don't tow without WDH/SC.

The hitch receiver head has the bar angle adjustment you would use to bring those bars up without the increased pre-loading caused by cinching up a chain link or two thus raising the truck bed/TT front you mentioned. This is a fine adjustment not explained in product installation and Utube videos; a trained/experienced tech is the way to get it right. By the photo the bars appear to be lower than the TT axle. In the setup you have you most likely will have a nice ride but with the high center drag potential by observance of your photo. Below is a pic of my WDH/SC setup where it is hard to see in the photo that I have about 12" bar-to-ground clearance.

Not wanting to over due it but also curious by looking at your rig photo; what is the truck tire load range? Sometimes the stock tire has a lower load range for truck ride quality. Check this for sure as when in your trip ready load weight configuration, you may not have the desirable load range safety margin tire that will have higher air pressure (e.g., 85 psi) stiffer side wall tires. I run 10 ply load range E but course with my van unloaded it weights in un-hitched at 6400 lbs.

FYI, more TV/TT videos on my Utube; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPL...MhcvWVdq13JA0Q
Happy Travels!
The next time I have those two hooked together, the way they are in the photo, I'll measure and compare the clearance of the trailer axles from the ground to the clearance of the bars from the ground and adjust the hitch head as necessary. The WDH was installed by the dealer where I bought the trailer, so I imagine it was done correctly (I know, I know), but I didn't realize that was important, so thanks for pointing that out and I'll have it checked out the next time I'm there.

By the way, thanks again for the informative response, but I'm afraid the only thing I know about the tires on my new truck is that they came with it... lol
Old 09-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #81

Quote:
The next time I have those two hooked together, the way they are in the photo, I'll measure and compare the clearance of the trailer axles from the ground to the clearance of the bars from the ground and adjust the hitch head as necessary. The WDH was installed by the dealer where I bought the trailer, so I imagine it was done correctly (I know, I know), but I didn't realize that was important, so thanks for pointing that out and I'll have it checked out the next time I'm there.

By the way, thanks again for the informative response, but I'm afraid the only thing I know about the tires on my new truck is that they came with it... lol
I hope anything I've pointed out brings you safe travels.