Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

What causes the push/pull feeling?

I adjusted my WDH and now the truck feels like it's being pushed forward and pulled back. It's not moving up and down, just forward and back. I was surprised because the trailer is as level as it's ever been and the front fender is pretty close to where it was before hook up. Visually, the set up looks good. I was just wondering if there was a general thing that causes this feeling?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

Did you check to make sure the ball is tightly seated?

The other thing that can cause this is your hitch being loose in the receiver. The up and down movement of the receiver is what you are looking for,

Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

If your spring pack is not loaded it will allow the axle to wrap. thats why HD trucks have a heavy overload plate over the axle. 1/2 tons usualy don't. I towed with a 1500 GM that did all the time with a light 5th wheel. Added a ply and ended it.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbigdog View Post
Did you check to make sure the ball is tightly seated?

The other thing that can cause this is your hitch being loose in the receiver. The up and down movement of the receiver is what you are looking for,
I guess it was tightly seated. Not sure what it's called but that sliding doo hickey atop the coupler was all the way seated and locked into place. Curious why I'd be looking for the up down movement? Wouldn't it be better to have no up/down or push/pull?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two things I can think of..

2" ball 2.5" hitch will allow push pull and it might just allow the ball to depart the hitch creating a serious danger if you are moving.

What others have said

half a tank of water.. As it sloshes back and forth it pushes and pulls on your tow vehicle.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #6

You stated you adjusted the WDH. Why did it need adjusting?

Here is what you should do....With your tow vehicle loaded and the hitch disconnected, measure the height of the front fender of the tow vehicle from the ground. Then hook up the trailer and the WDH and re-measure the height of the front fender. If your hitch is set properly the height should be the same OR SLIGHTLY MORE. If the height with the trailer attached is lower you have the WDH too tight which has removed too much weight from the hitch and placed it on your front axle. That in turn can cause the ball/receiver to move, thereby resulting in your push/pull feeling.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbigdog View Post
You stated you adjusted the WDH. Why did it need adjusting?

Here is what you should do....With your tow vehicle loaded and the hitch disconnected, measure the height of the front fender of the tow vehicle from the ground. Then hook up the trailer and the WDH and re-measure the height of the front fender. If your hitch is set properly the height should be the same OR SLIGHTLY MORE. If the height with the trailer attached is lower you have the WDH too tight which has removed too much weight from the hitch and placed it on your front axle. That in turn can cause the ball/receiver to move, thereby resulting in your push/pull feeling.
Why did it need adjusting? LOOOOONG story, but short version is.....

Bought VRV XTR to tow with Tacoma. Etrailer.com installed hitch on Tacoma, but Tacoma couldn't tow trailer effectively. Bought new F150 to haul it, but receiver on F150 was higher than the Tacoma, so I wanted to adjust it.

I followed the instructions for the hitch. Leveled trailer, and measured to top of coupler which was 21.5". Adjusted ball height to as close to 1" above Coupler as possible. From memory I'd say the ball height was 22' or so. I attached round bar chains to the 3rd link from the top. The front fender was pretty close to where it started maybe a little shorter, so maybe too much weight on front axle? The trailer was almost level maybe 1" lower in front compared to back. The spring bars are basically parallel to the ground and frame. I didn't weigh because I didn't have the truck and trailer packed up to camp, and I've weighed everything previously. I take that back, I did weigh the tongue from the bottom of the tongue jack and it was 825 lbs. I was really just trying to get the hitch at the correct height, etc. because I want it perfect.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #8

What size spring bars? Sometimes too stiff of bars will make it jerk like that. Also it just possible you may never get rid of it. I had a 10 F150 towing a 2010 Heartland North Trail 26LRSS and it did exactly what yours does. Did it for 10,000 miles. Tried several different WD brands and setups and never could eliminate it. My theory is that it had the Wide Traxx axle spacing and the axles were more centered on the frame. It came with an inherently low tongue weight from the factory. I had to load the crude out of the front cargo bay to get 12% tongue weight. With all that being said you may need to check your tongue weight to make sure you have enough, as to light of tongue weight can also cause the jerk.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
What size spring bars? Sometimes too stiff of bars will make it jerk like that. Also it just possible you may never get rid of it. I had a 10 F150 towing a 2010 Heartland North Trail 26LRSS and it did exactly what yours does. Did it for 10,000 miles. Tried several different WD brands and setups and never could eliminate it. My theory is that it had the Wide Traxx axle spacing and the axles were more centered on the frame. It came with an inherently low tongue weight from the factory. I had to load the crude out of the front cargo bay to get 12% tongue weight. With all that being said you may need to check your tongue weight to make sure you have enough, as to light of tongue weight can also cause the jerk.
I think this is the hitch, but I'm not near it to confirm.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...ies/49570.html

My tongue weight depends on Harley in back or not. Without it's like 825 lbs. I don't have a problem with not enough TW that's for sure. My trailer weighs about 5000 lbs. fully loaded.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #10

Does it jerk with the Harley loaded or unloaded? If it jerks with the Harley in then your bars may be too stiff for that. Have you ever weighed your setup with the Harley in to see what your TW is? Not sure how much the Harley weighs but guessing between 750-900lbs. That much in the rear may remove enough TW to make things funky.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Does it jerk with the Harley loaded or unloaded? If it jerks with the Harley in then your bars may be too stiff for that. Have you ever weighed your setup with the Harley in to see what your TW is? Not sure how much the Harley weighs but guessing between 750-900lbs. That much in the rear may remove enough TW to make things funky.
I have, but I don't have the slips with me. The bike weights 983 lbs. I've weighed a bunch of times with both the F150 and the Tacoma, but I'm not sure of the TW on the F150 with the Harley in it. I'll have to do the 3 weighs thing next time I go out.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #12

My toyhauler has a greater tongue weight without toys in the back. Been verified on truck scales at work. Tongue weight varies between 2 different bikes and golf cart I have loaded. It is all a balancing act. You can change tongue weight by moving bike farther forward or back if you have a moveable wheel chock.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
My toyhauler has a greater tongue weight without toys in the back. Been verified on truck scales at work. Tongue weight varies between 2 different bikes and golf cart I have loaded. It is all a balancing act. You can change tongue weight by moving bike farther forward or back if you have a moveable wheel chock.
I do have a moveable chock because I don't mount it at all. I can move it forward another foot, but I really can't. My problem is too much TW really.

The last time I camped (before adjusting the hitch) my weights fully loaded with Wife, 2 dogs, Harley, and all gear was:

Steer Axle=3560
Drive Axle=3140
Trailer Axle=4760
CGVWR=11460

My F150 by itself weighs:

Steer Axle=3280
Drive Axle=2600
GVWR=5880

I have not weighed since messing with the hitch Saturday.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #14

Is your freshwater tank half full? If the FWT is mounted long ways with the frame this could be the problem.