Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
What do you think? Towing TT with 1973 Ford LTD

I would appreciate your thoughts. I have a 1973 Ford LTd, 460, real good condition, at the garage getting a check up as we speak, that I don't want to get rid of. I would like to buy a small (not tiny,need a pot) travel trailer to go out west for a few?months starting in August. Won't be putting on alot of miles a day as I will be traveling with my 92 yr old mother and we like to stop and enjoy. We live in the Florida Keys and it takes us 2 days to get out of Florida. I have had lots of different opinions +&-. Thought about a small motorhome but think that would be hard for the sightseeing we want to do. I am on a budget, not rich. Thanks for any help.

ldmert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Back when 1970 LTDs were new, friends of ours towed a 22' Shasta TT with their Country Squire for several years. IIRC, it had the 390 engine. We towed a boat trailer several times with our Mercury Colony Park wagon (429) and flat-towed a Ford Cortina car from Hampton VA to Seattle. The Cortina went much faster behind the Merc than it ever did under its own power.

They added a transmission cooler and level adjustable rear shocks and used an equalizing hitch. I don't remember tham having any problems with th4 car that were specifically caused by towing.

We didn't make any changes to our Mercury.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Welcome to the forum. Offhand I would say that it is ok , but would check the manual for towing capacity and get your TT acordingly. I'm sure you'll be able to have a "pot". Let us know what you find out.
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
The power won't be a issue that 460 is a monster the trans cooler is a must I would say, then shocks and even load leveling hitch will help with the leveling out of the 2
Mark Anderson - Nebo NC - western NC - RV Restoration tech - 9 Doggies - Outdoors person
1990 33ft Wilderness Cimarron 33X
nightriderrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Find a refurbed classic trailer to go with it. It would be cool.
CoachDJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
My parents towed TT's with a '57 Plymouth station wagon with a 318 engine. It strained at times like up the OLD grapevine (not the new one we have today), but it did the job.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
I would love that but not in my budget at this point. That would be fun since we are old, too. I am 61 and my mother is 92. All classic would be cool.
ldmert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
X2 on adding a transmission cooler. Maybe do a service on it, too.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
LTD's are BEAST !!!!

well built and surprisingly good mpg for that size car...

As college students on a budget that wanted to follow their team around the southeast,
we towed a large popup with one to games...
never knew the popup was there,
stopped when @ Alabama game in december with frozen streams @ the campground - popup was TOO cold - but it was conducive to the girls we brought wanting to "snuggle"

you probably would want a wd and sway control hitch just to be sure... good luck !
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ricky and Luci did it... but with lots of "slaining".
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Jayco Owners Club
My brother pulled a 23' Prowler trailer all over the place with a 74 Chevy station wagon with a 283 and a powerglide tranny. There are lots of smaller TTs available these days. I just sold my 18.5' Shadow Cruiser to my daughter. They're pulling it with a V-6 Tacoma pickup. The whole thing weighs in loaded at 3900# the way we used it. It might be a bit cramped for your 92-year-old mom... but... you could pick one up gently used and do well.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
My concerns would be the 40yr old cooling system. I would not even think about towing with the old radiator. You should be able to get a new radiator for about 350$ or the old one re-cored. Replace all hoses and as previously noted a trans cooler and temp gauge.
The Bichons: KIBBELS & CHIPS and forever remembered BITZ
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Transmission cooler, shocks and upgraded tires are a must. A good weight distributing hitch with sway control and you should be good. Also cehck the brakes and add a good brake controller.

Change the engine oil and transmission fluid now and then use the severve duty maintenance schedule.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh my. Back in the day I towed my 19' Nomad single axle TT with my 68 Pontiac Lemans 6 cylinder. They had a two speed automatic and I spent a lot of time in first gear. We made it from VT to Nova Scotia and pretty much the rest of NE. I think the LTD will be no problem, especially if you check the things mentioned above.

Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote

ford, towing