Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: ***WOW 5000 +++ Views*** [img]http://irv2.infop
Chevy/GMC Diesel P/U 25 10.50%
Dodge Diesel P/U 84 35.29%
Ford Diesel P/U 69 28.99%
1 of the Big 3 Gas 41 17.23%
Other..ie MDT 19 7.98%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2005, 03:53 AM   #43

I,m towing with a 1999 Ford 7.3 SD crew cab long bed. It's naked, no chips. This is a beast and, like the last post, seem to pick up power the faster I go. There is one problem, though. It has a natural drift to the right when ever I am passing a Sears Craftsmen store...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 AM   #44

With a Duramax/ Allison, is the tow haul mode button required. Do I haul in overdrive, tow/haul or what? My 5er is only 6000 lbs dry.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:02 AM   #45

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Rhandley,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It has a natural drift to the right when ever I am passing a Sears Craftsmen store... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i don't know what it is about that pull to the right at that exact location ... but you will often see my big ol' parked at the very last row in the Sears lot on Saturday afternoons. Apparently about 30-45 minutes later, it runs smooth as silk on the way home.

Beauregard,
Welcome to iRV2. You sidestepped the "New Member Checkin" area and leaped right into the good ol' truck discussion. Glad to see you around,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:38 PM   #46

I tow with a 1991 Ford diesel powered ambulance type III (Huge box) made by PL Custom. Yes everything still works lights, siren etc

Hence the license plate frame on the trailer "I'm not weird I am gifted"
Tow vehicle: 1991 Ford E350 Type III Ambulance. IDI Non turbo diesel. 4:10 gear ratio rear. E4OD Jasper transmission. 1976 Yellowstone Capri travel trailer.
CompuDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:47 PM   #47

Since my catagory got left out, I'll just post it here:

HDT: Volvo 610

Garth
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:41 AM   #48

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SuperGewl:
Most people that are doing serious towing will use a diesel. For those that aren't really pulling much weight gas is just fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you don't consider my 31 foot, 11,000 lb. GVWR TT "serious towing", but I take it seriously. I chose to have a big block gasoline/Allison combination in my Chevy HD because it has plenty of power, is much quieter than the Duramax, I don't have to deal with the fuel stench and I did the math on the fuel economy vs. the diesel option cost.

If I pulled 6 to 8 percent grades frequently or put more than 20,000 miles a year on the truck, the calculations might have come out differently. My last RV was a motorhome that was heavier, had less power and my experience was still that I was most often stuck behind overloaded eighteen wheelers that couldn't/wouldn't maintain speed up grades.

2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD CC 8.1L/Allison
Alan554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:11 AM   #49

So with a gasser and Allison combo,there would be a huge saving(not buying the Duramax)but I guess the power wouldn't be as much? I don't want to be under powered,and want the best milage possible. I don't drive all that many miles so a Duramax may be overkill..?

Old 08-13-2005, 03:40 PM   #50

The big 8.1 allison can haul the mail but gets poor gas milage. The D/A gets about twice the milage pulling and at least a third more empty. You can debate forever on diesel vs gas. The d/a is one mighty combo and you'll see many in any campground. Loud ..no, smelly..no. An increadible pulling machine...yes. If you have mountains to get over it's gonna save you time and money and make for a very safe tow.

02 Silverado D/A 4x4..sweet.
Paul Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #51

Thanks Paul, you answered my questions. I thought the gas/allison may be a hog.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:04 PM   #52

Brad you asked about the t/h in the D/A combo. No it isn't required but I highly recommend using it. What it does is hold the upshift points longer to help get the load moving (not as important with a lighter load). Also locks up the torque converter so there is no heat buildup in the allison from slippage. Also it helps slow the load and save your service brakes by downshifting when the brakes are tapped. This works in traffic very well and it also works on steep hills in conjuction with the allisons grade braking feature, holding back the load at a managable speed (remember a diesel spins freely when you lift the acceslerator..no backpressure like a gas engine). I would not tow without using t/h mode. If you have a tranny with a computer that smart why wouldn't you use it? A GM service manager told me the allison is a very simple device mechanically...the only thing complex is the computer and most issues are fixed with a re-flash.

02 Silverado D/A 4x4..sweet.
Paul Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #53

Freightliner M2 106 HDT

31,000 lb GVWR
80,000 lb GCWR
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #54

... I dont think you have enough Truck.....
(Just kidding) Nice looking setup..... BTW Just checked out your Photo Album... thanks for sharing... ?? do you find having a large/Medium Size Truck much of a pain at getting around?

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:30 AM   #55

My Freightliner is the same width as dually pickup, but is three inches shorter than my old Ford crew cab long bed. Parking is easier due to the 55-degree front wheel cut and added visibility. With the Freightliner I can simply pull in and out of a parking spot without having to jockey back and forth.
One of the best things I like is the visibility for the driver and passenger. Visibility and driver comfort was a primary concern when they designed this truck's interior.
Negatives:
When bobtailing it does not ride as smooth as the Ford, and the height of 9' 8" keeps you out of fast food drive thru's. Well, . . . . maybe the later is an advantage?
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:06 AM   #56

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Clancy:
The big 8.1 allison can haul the mail but gets poor gas milage. The D/A gets about twice the milage pulling and at least a third more empty. You can debate forever on diesel vs gas. The d/a is one mighty combo and you'll see many in any campground. Loud ..no, smelly..no. An increadible pulling machine...yes. If you have mountains to get over it's gonna save you time and money and make for a very safe tow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, you have the mileage stuff backwards. Because the gas engine is running under heavy load when towing (and therefore at its most efficient), the mileage difference between gas & diesel in the same truck gets down to the energy content in the fuel (roughly 10% advantage to diesel) and combustion efficiency due to compression ratio (again about 10% total advantage to diesel). However, running unloaded, the gas engine is very innefficient since it has to be throttled back so much most of the time while the diesel always runs unthrottled.

My truck gets about 9 mpg towing and about 12 mpg not towing. I've driven Duramax trucks identical to mine before I retired and the best mileage I ever got in mixed urban driving (not towing) was 17.5 mpg, so I really doubt anyone can get 18 mpg towing my trailer with one.

Noise is subjective, I'll agree and leave it at that. So is how the exhaust smells on the newer generations of diesel engines. What isn't subjective, however, is the nastiness of dealing with diesel fuel and its stench. Maybe you guys get used to it, but I never have and I used to have to routinely fuel company cars (Cadillacs) with the stuff.

But the bottom line is if it made economic sense or a diesel engine did something that my gas engine doesn't for me, I would deal with things I didn't like about diesel engines, but that isn't the case.

2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD CC 8.1L/Allison
Alan554 is offline   Reply With Quote