Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: ***WOW 5000 +++ Views*** [img]http://irv2.infop
Chevy/GMC Diesel P/U 25 10.50%
Dodge Diesel P/U 84 35.29%
Ford Diesel P/U 69 28.99%
1 of the Big 3 Gas 41 17.23%
Other..ie MDT 19 7.98%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #57

I'm not trying to sell you (or anyone) a diesel...honest. I get close to 15 towing and 18-20 empty (02 LB7). Hand calculated. I got half that towing with my gas truck (350ci), same trailer, and about the same empty. Plus I climb every range at the speed limit. The gasser was close to blowup on the same ranges at a crawl. If I felt the big block chev was the answer I would have gone that way but I wanted pulling power at altitude for the worst hills and better milage and I got it. That was worth the few thousand extra for me. A million truckers can't be wrong. BTW I'm sure your gas truck is a beauty and it sounds like you found your perfect truck...that's what it's all about...our needs are different is all.

02 Silverado D/A 4x4..sweet.
Paul Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2005, 01:46 AM   #58

Thanks for your explaination Paul. I was looking to hear from someone who has towed with both gas and diesel. I haven't so of course I' don't know. All I know is my gasser has the power, but not the torque to haul my 5er, up grades, without it sounding like its ready to blow up. Would it be realistic to assume a diesel will last,say ten years? P.S. I have plans to visit S/& B/I/L in Williams Lake B.C, and would like the extra power at hand.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:26 AM   #59

Any truck should last 10 years if properly maintained. My last truck was a 94 gmc 350 2wd ext cab, w/190,000kms ran and looked like new when traded. My "new" truck has 220,000kms and runs/looks like new (ex pilot truck..retired)Diesels have a reputation for long term durability , another reason OTR truckers favor them, but I'm sure you could ruin a diesel engine with neglect like anything else. If your going to be a long term owner avoid a lot of mods (chips etc). Extra fuel filter system is good (nictane, racor etc)as diesel fuel does get contaminated if not fresh. All I can say is I'm grinning every time I pull a hill..bigger the better. Night and day from my last TV. I still get a rush when I hook up and the D/A idles the trailer out of the spot(amazing grunt). You've got at least 1 major pass to get to Williams lake(7hrs north of me)...Rogers pass through the rockies (did it 2 weeks ago...cake). For a real climb try the coqahalla connector, kelowna to merrit. THAT sob is why I bought a diesel.
Unsure whats on your side of the praries as I haven't been back for many years.

Safe Journey.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:56 AM   #60

LOL did the Coqahalla in '95 with a Astro van and Jayco"J" pop-up. Had to stop half way up, due to much smoke from tranny Thankfully I stopped before it got fried. After an hour or so of cooling time, and a top up of fluid, I drove it to Jasper where I had the fluid and filter changed. All the more reason to have a D/A
Pop into the Canada Forum some time. ...Brad

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:42 AM   #61

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Clancy:
I'm not trying to sell you (or anyone) a diesel...honest. I get close to 15 towing and 18-20 empty (02 LB7). Hand calculated. I got half that towing with my gas truck (350ci), same trailer, and about the same empty. Plus I climb every range at the speed limit. The gasser was close to blowup on the same ranges at a crawl. If I felt the big block chev was the answer I would have gone that way but I wanted pulling power at altitude for the worst hills and better milage and I got it. That was worth the few thousand extra for me. A million truckers can't be wrong. BTW I'm sure your gas truck is a beauty and it sounds like you found your perfect truck...that's what it's all about...our needs are different is all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I'm not trying to sell anybody on gas trucks either, just to weigh all the facts and get rid of all the hype. I stopped for lunch at a fast food place yesterday and while I was walking out to my truck to leave a Ford Superduty diesel pulled into the drivethru. He had to shut the engine down before the ordertaker could hear him. Never happen with my big block.

Your mileage comparison is a classic case of how diesels get hyped beyond what they should be. Your old 350 was doubtlessly overtaxed and running in power enrichment all the time to keep the pistons from melting. Even a 350 can burn a lot of fuel at 9.5 or 10:1 air/fuel ratio instead of stoich.

One last thing about diesels and that is their legendary longevity. That reputation was obtained in over the road trucks that accumulate mileage rapidly, are seldom shut off and are always seeing fresh fuel. Gasoline engines, used under the same operating conditions, also last considerable longer than typical the retail automotive customer experiences. There are no guarantees that a diesel engine will last as long in low mileage, long periods of shut down, etc. type of service seen in typical RV service. It ain't the same type of duty cycle.

2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD CC 8.1L/Allison
Alan554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 PM   #62

And the legendary loss of hp in a gas engine at altitude...hype as well I suppose. Look I've owned a big block chev 454 in a full size jimmy and I couldn't afford to go get grocieries in it , much less tow. I'm sure the sd at the drive through was an older 7.3 not the new quiet 6.0. I've yet to find an owner of a modern diesel who's looking to switch to gas.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:53 PM   #63

I use a '02 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L to pull a Rockwood 8314SS Ultralight. Just installed a Reese anti-sway. I need to change the tires from a P series to an E. Gas mileage is 8 mpg. I gotta fill up every 175 miles.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:56 AM   #64

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Clancy:
And the legendary loss of hp in a gas engine at altitude...hype as well I suppose. Look I've owned a big block chev 454 in a full size jimmy and I couldn't afford to go get grocieries in it , much less tow. I'm sure the sd at the drive through was an older 7.3 not the new quiet 6.0. I've yet to find an owner of a modern diesel who's looking to switch to gas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The loss of power by a naturally aspirated engine (gas or diesel) isn't hype at all, just another factor in the original purchase decision. Like I said originally, if I was going to be climbing mountain grades all the time, my gas/diesel decision might have been different.

I couldn't tell you if the Ford had the old or the new engine, but it was a recent body style (if not the latest).

I'll say it again, when you factor in the original purchase price, maintenance costs, how big your trailer/fifth wheel is, how often you are going to climb mountain grades, how many miles you drive per year, i.e., everything involved, a diesel isn't always the right answer to the question no matter what the price of gas is.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:42 AM   #65

"a diesel isn't always the right answer to the question no matter what the price of gas is."
I fully agree with this statement. Also a 300hp/500ftlb drivetrain isn't always the right answer. Some can get by with less.
I recently found a thread on rvnet.com where the posters were suggesting all who bought diesels were crazy and all you ever needed to tow anything less than a semi trailer was a 6liter gas engine. That sort of thinking is as wacko as saying everyone needs a diesel...something I didn't and wouldn't suggest. I also won't avoid suggesting the d/a drivetrain as a good alternative for those who feel underpowered because it certainly did work for me. Not hype, just reality.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:04 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've yet to find an owner of a modern diesel who's looking to switch to gas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well ya can't say that anymore `cause you've now met me. I've been towing large trailers since `99. Had a `99 7.3 Ford diesel followed by `02 6.6l GMC diesel and now an `06 6.0 Ford diesel. For towing I would not get a gasser. I'm not trying to say that they are no good. It is just my personal preference. The price difference between gas and diesel is not influencing my decision at all.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 06:21 AM   #67

Hi John,
Not sure what you mean here.
"Well ya can't say that anymore `cause you've now met me. "
I was saying I don't know anyone who's looking to switch from diesel to gas. Are you saying you are? The rest of your post seems to indicate you favor diesel trucks.

PS The tow Boss sounds great, is there a grade brake or exhaust brake included with that package?

Old 08-23-2005, 09:17 AM   #68

"a diesel isn't always the right answer to the question no matter what the price of gas is."
I fully agree with this statement. Also a 300hp/500ftlb drivetrain isn't always the right answer. Some can get by with less.
I recently found a thread on rvnet.com where the posters were suggesting all who bought diesels were crazy and all you ever needed to tow anything less than a semi trailer was a 6liter gas engine. That sort of thinking is as wacko as saying everyone needs a diesel...something I didn't and wouldn't suggest. I also won't avoid suggesting the d/a drivetrain as a good alternative for those who feel underpowered because it certainly did work for me. Not hype, just reality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I don't feel deprived with 330 hp/450 ft-lb and with 400+ ft-lbs available from 1000 rpm to over 4400 rpm, I have driveability and throttle response no diesel truck has.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan554:
Well, I don't feel deprived with 330 hp/450 ft-lb and with 400+ ft-lbs available from 1000 rpm to over 4400 rpm, I have driveability and throttle response no diesel truck has. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>347 HP and 762 lb-ft of torque - at the rear wheels (Dynojet 246C chassis dyno)! 6th gear with no speed degradation up 6% grades. I've towed the same 5th wheel (our prior Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS) with a 8.0L Dodge V-10 and our current Cummins. As for me and my house, there's no comparison - the Cummins wins every time in a head-to-head comparison pulling the same 5th wheel over the same route.

YMMV....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:07 AM   #70
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan554:
I have driveability and throttle response no diesel truck has. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously haven't driven a late model Dodge with the Cummins HO Turbo Diesel. If you had I don't think you would make the above statement.

I'll put my Dodge Ram 3500 up against any gasoline powered truck in any category (towing, climbing, mileage, throttle response, acceleration, etc).