Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: ***WOW 5000 +++ Views*** [img]http://irv2.infop
Chevy/GMC Diesel P/U 25 10.50%
Dodge Diesel P/U 84 35.29%
Ford Diesel P/U 69 28.99%
1 of the Big 3 Gas 41 17.23%
Other..ie MDT 19 7.98%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2005, 04:47 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shoot Don, I'll put my 7.3L Power Stroke up against any gasser and walk away on the hills and pass them at the gas pumps to boot.

More torque and on a broad flat torque curve.

And only 450 Lb-Ft of torque...

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2005, 05:26 PM   #72

The other advantages of better resale and being bio diesel ready are just gravy (on fries) for diesel owners. RVers may have to all go diesel the way fuel prices are going.

02 Silverado D/A 4x4..sweet.
Paul Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:46 AM   #73

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by allendp:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan554:
I have driveability and throttle response no diesel truck has. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously haven't driven a late model Dodge with the Cummins HO Turbo Diesel. If you had I don't think you would make the above statement.

And you obviously haven't driven a late model big block GM gas truck either. I readily concede you have more pulling power up grades, at altitude and get better fuel economy, but to believe any stock turbo-diesel has throttle response to compare with a naturally aspirated gas engine (not towing), is not realistic.

I'll put my Dodge Ram 3500 up against any gasoline powered truck in any category (towing, climbing, mileage, throttle response, acceleration, etc). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD CC 8.1L/Allison
Alan554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:55 AM   #74

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan554:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by allendp:
I have driveability and throttle response no diesel truck has. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously haven't driven a late model Dodge with the Cummins HO Turbo Diesel. If you had I don't think you would make the above statement.

And you obviously haven't driven a late model big block GM gas truck either. I readily concede you have more pulling power up grades, at altitude and get better fuel economy, but to believe any stock turbo-diesel has throttle response to compare with a naturally aspirated gas engine (not towing), is not realistic.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I goofed up that last reply to allendp's post and included part of his post in mine accidentally. My bad.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:27 PM   #75

That does bring up an interesting point. Going from gas truck (s) to diesel I expected to feel turbo lag but never have. The power comes on more linear than jumping to redline but when I mash the go pedal the truck launches like a rocket so maybe someone can explain where I should feel the lag?

Old 08-25-2005, 04:02 PM   #76

Last week I test drove a '05 GMC D/A 2500 series truck. Man, I'll tell ya, that was the fastest truck I've ever driven. I can see now why diesels are so popular as T/V's. Speed, power, less costly fuel(not by much), what else do ya need. I was truly impressed.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:08 AM   #77

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Clancy:
That does bring up an interesting point. Going from gas truck (s) to diesel I expected to feel turbo lag but never have. The power comes on more linear than jumping to redline but when I mash the go pedal the truck launches like a rocket so maybe someone can explain where I should feel the lag? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Turbo lag has been reduced greatly from the bad old days, but it is still there. I remember the old Buick V6 turbos that had horrible lag, but when the turbo kicked in, hold on, you were in for quite a ride.

My throttle response issue with the diesels vs my gas engine is more of a part throttle one. The Duramax trucks I've driven just required too much change in throttle angle, too frequently, to keep up with traffic whereas in the same situations with my big block I just have to "squeeze" the throttle a little to get what I want. And if the bed of my truck is empty and I "mash" the throttle from a dead stop, I usually end up smoking my rear tires. That is what no turbo lag gets you.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:56 AM   #78
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
No sense in beating a dead horse here but I just must not be as acutely aware of the difference as Alan is. I find whether I am driving my V6 SUV or my truck they both respond equally well in traffic or on the open highway. I just don't see any difference. Again, I think you have to test drive the latest generation of Dodge Diesel Trucks to appreciate what I am saying.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:26 AM   #79

2003 3500 LT D/A Diesel CC Long Bed
Old 08-28-2005, 07:51 AM   #80

No sense in beating a dead horse here but I just must not be as acutely aware of the difference as Alan is. (snip) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right, there isn't any sense in debating this further. We buy the truck we want to buy and they ain't always the same animal. I'm retired from GM so I wasn't going to buy a Ford or Dodge anyway, plus I wanted the Allison something awful after living with the wide gear ratio spreads of the 4L80-E in my motorhome. I could have bought a Duramax, but I didn't want one. To each his own.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:09 AM   #81

Just an update(brag post I guess, not trying to relight the debate). Pulled the pass I actually bought the diesel for this past weekend for the first time and it was absolute cake. Coquahalla , kelowna to Vancouver and back. Worst grades I've ever seen (many semis avoid this)in the west. We finished the pull from the snow sheds to the summit and I said to my wife "thats it? That can't be it!" The truck was a frieght train up and totally in control coming down. No stops for fuel, speed limit (110kph...could have gone faster but thats not how I drive) all the way. Engine trans temps same as in town (cool) and never dropped below 4th. This is the same pass that almost killed my old truck. I think I chose right the second tv purchase. Truck is stock w 220000 kms....no mods. Passed lots of other TVs/5ers that couldn't maintain the limit (safely...all 4 lane). Made trip in 4hrs...same as car. btw diesel still 10cents per liter cheaper than gas here. Milage 14mpg 6500 lbs 5th.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A man and his new diesel is as good as it gets...like a boy and a new dog.

Ken
Old 09-13-2005, 05:40 AM   #83

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Clancy:
Just an update(brag post I guess, not trying to relight the debate). Pulled the pass I actually bought the diesel for this past weekend for the first time and it was absolute cake. Coquahalla , kelowna to Vancouver and back. Worst grades I've ever seen (many semis avoid this)in the west. We finished the pull from the snow sheds to the summit and I said to my wife "thats it? That can't be it!" The truck was a frieght train up and totally in control coming down. No stops for fuel, speed limit (110kph...could have gone faster but thats not how I drive) all the way. Engine trans temps same as in town (cool) and never dropped below 4th. This is the same pass that almost killed my old truck. I think I chose right the second tv purchase. Truck is stock w 220000 kms....no mods. Passed lots of other TVs/5ers that couldn't maintain the limit (safely...all 4 lane). Made trip in 4hrs...same as car. btw diesel still 10cents per liter cheaper than gas here. Milage 14mpg 6500 lbs 5th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What percentage grade were you pulling? What was your old truck? My trailer is about 4,000 lbs heavier than your 5th wheel and I get 9 mpg in flat country at 58-60 mph.

Diesel here in southeast Michigan was 10 higher than 87 octane unleaded yesterday.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:22 AM   #84

Grades go from 6 to 10% on a 10 km stretch of hwy5. Old truck was a 94 5.7 liter gas tbi. The historic chev small block,w/tow package. Was a great truck towing flat but this pass was sure to kill it quickly:
http://modena.intergate.ca/personal/...5/Hwy_5N_A.htm