Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

We are looking at upgrading to a travel trailer from a pop-up. We have been looking at different models and want one with bunk beds and a full/bed in the front.

Can you tell me what models and weights you tow with your F-150? We are looking at a Puma27 but after reading some of your posts I think it is too heavy to be safely towed by our truck. Just looking for some ideas on weight, layout.

We'll be towing through the Rockies this summer.

Thanks in advance!
skiingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #2

I pull a 27' Four Winds Lite and have no problems other than gas mileage . It has full bed in front and bunk beds in back like you're looking for.
A weight distributing hitch is a must, watch what you put in it and don't carry water or waste with you for any longer than you need to.

Take a look at the numbers for your truck for weights and get an idea what you can tow. You'll find plenty of posts on the forum about haw to look for them and how to add them up. If you think you want to load a bunch of stuff in the camper look for a smaller TT or maybe a hybrid. May be better mileage-wise as well.

We moved up from a popup as well, you'll love the upgrade!

"The pursuit of perfection is frustrating and a waste of time. The pursuit
NT-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
CD

skiingaz
I towed a 17' TT (many years ago) with a HD 1/2T pu. The TT towed like crap until I went from 14" tires to 7.00x15 6ply LT tires (on the TT). Then it handled very well, that is until I got a 3/4T PU. Then I realized what it ment to have enough TV. I'm not saying you can't do it but you need to keep your speed down, have plenty of room for stopping and the big rigs will push you around.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First welcome i iRV2.

In order to find out what you can tow with your 1/2 ton truck, you will need to get the truck weighed in travel trim with all pasengers and normal cargo and full fuel. Call this your Laden Vehicle Weight or LTW.

Now, in th eowners manual you can find towing ratings and loom for the GCWR or Gross Combined Weight rating which is the most your truck and trailer can weigh together. Make sure you use the information specific to your particular style truck cab, engine and axle ratio.

Now look on the drivers door jamb for an information sticker wich list your GAWR (front and rear) and the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) which is the maximum your truck can weigh with all cargo, passengers and tongue weight from the trailer.

With this information...

GCWR - LVW = maximum loaded trailer weight.

GVWR - LVW = maximum loaded trailer tongue or hitch weight.

This is the only way you will know for sure. The manufacturers tow ratings are a maximum and based on a stripped base model truck with only a 150# driver.

Personally, I would not try to go over about 25' (actual trailer) with a 1/2 ton truck. I doubt if you will find a queen bed plus bunks in that size trailer.

We have been the rouut of pulling too much with too little truck and it is not fun for long trips. If your truck is rated for the weight, you might go up to a 27' trailer, provided you are not over weight and fro shorter trips of 2 to 3 hours.

remember that the brochure weights for the trailers are fiction. A dry weight does not include anything listed as an option; such as A/C, microwave, TV, awning batteries, etc. You can easily be 500 to 750# over the dry weight before you add anything of yours.

Have fun shopping and do not believe anything the dealer tells you.

You will find two types of responses. The best provide real information and weights if they are telling you that they pull an XX' ABC brand trailer and then the other is the passionate post with no information other than it pulls it like it was not even back there.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote