Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
What does this mean?

While towing my 24' Coachman for the very first time yesterday I noticed on my Ford F150 information display on the dash board a message that was TBC gain 10% Output 0
I may not have recalled that msg. exactly but has anyone else experienced that? What does that mean? Again, I'm not too certain of the exact message as I had a million things on my mind while towing this behemoth down the road for the very first time. Still, I had no idea as to what that meant. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trailer Brake Controller? (TBC) The gain setting is adjustable by the user (you)

Output zero = No foot on brake pedal.

NOTE I am guessing but it is about the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #3

The newer F150 has a built in brake controller that controls the trailer brakes when you step on the trick brake. You can adjust the amount of trailer brake you want to apply by adjusting the power delivered to them through your trucks built in brake controller. That adjustment setting is what is lighting up in your dash. To the right of your steering wheel is the controller and where you can adjust the among of power sent back to your trailer brakes. Your truck manual explains it all to you. Hope that helps...
Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
as stated -
an easy way to remember is the gain is the 'boost', if you will,
that when u hit your truck brakes, the trailer brakes GAIN braking force

if u have the initial gain set at 10 I would venture to say either you are locking up when stopping or have a trailer brake issue...
as on mine it is set no higher than 5.5 or the trailer tries to stop faster than the truck
(granted, mine is a 2012 250, but same concept - would be stunned if you need full gain !)
Old 05-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
as stated -
an easy way to remember is the gain is the 'boost', if you will,
that when u hit your truck brakes, the trailer brakes GAIN braking force

if u have the initial gain set at 10 I would venture to say either you are locking up when stopping or have a trailer brake issue...
as on mine it is set no higher than 5.5 or the trailer tries to stop faster than the truck
(granted, mine is a 2012 250, but same concept - would be stunned if you need full gain !)
We are leaving tomorrow. I will try to decrease the gain via the control in the truck. It did seem to stop fine while towing although there was a disconcerting "pulse" that we felt while towing. ? I had never towed anything before so i couldn't say if that was normal or not. It certainly didn't feel normal! Now you've got me wondering if there is indeed something wrong with the trailers brakes. Locking up? I just don't know. It did seem to stop just fine while I was coming to a stop however. But then again that was on my short, three mile practice run. I have no idea how it will behave when we travel 20 miles on Monday!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You want to adjust the gain so you get max braking force without locking up the brakes.The setting will vary with the load on the trailer. Lightly loaded trailer maybe 4. Normal maybe 5. Heavy maybe 6? You should never need 10 unless you are towing overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #7

The OP never said it was set to 10. He said 10% (percent), which is 1.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, we returned from out maiden trip ( over 400 miles of towing) with no problems whatsoever. We took the highway going out there and, feeling a little confident, took the short route back home through small towns & back roads. All went well. But here is something that perhaps could be best explained here, on this forum: We adjusted the TBC ( trailer brake control) on our truck to 6 while towing and applied only the trucks brakes which, when connected to the trailer's pigtail, worked in tandem and the output was shown on the trucks instrument panel. That worked just fine but on the return trip I did a little experimenting and tried squeezing the plus & minus lever for the brakes on my trucks dashboard and they worked even better! I could really feel them grab so I adjusted them to a 5.5 which most folks seem to be comfortable with, and they still worked just fine after that adjustment. Here is where I get a little confused. When we got back home I explained to the fellow at the RV dealership what I have just explained here and he said the only time I should squeeze the TBC inside the truck is when I feel the trailer swaying. The TBC, when squeezed, helps stop the trailer from swaying. So I guess what I am asking is: I should use the trucks brake only when stopping ( when properly adjusted) and not squeeze the TBC lever unless I am going into a fishtail sway on the highway. Is that correct? Thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Salesmen are not always the oracle they profess to be if you are fishtailing - it's may be too late to be letting go of the steering wheel and looking down for a little squeeze !
but it WOULD slow the trailer down and let the truck pull out front...

the 'squeeze' thingy on my 250 is a manual trailer brake and you should never really need it.
getting the brakes set right should do all you need.
mine are at 5.5 and if I carrying more speed when stopping than seems safe on my first few controlled test stops (usually from the wife loading up more STUFF than usual ) I may set it to 6 or 6.5 to assist the truck brakes more...

good luck learning all these things !!! surprised your first questions are not about wd hitches and sway control - Those were my first few even though I got a propride I wanted to learn about it !
Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
When we got back home I explained to the fellow at the RV dealership what I have just explained here and he said the only time I should squeeze the TBC inside the truck is when I feel the trailer swaying. The TBC, when squeezed, helps stop the trailer from swaying. Is that correct? Thanks!
Yes, that IS correct and it should be used only at that time, It helps the trailer line back up by causing the wheels of the trailer to slow or stop forcing the truck to drag it forward. The trailer looses it’s momentum. This is presupposing you only have a minor to moderate sway at a moderate speed and slowing down applying moderate brake pressure in the truck isn’t helping.

A caveat here is, if you’re doing 70 and you see your trailer along side the drivers side window, squeezing the brake controler will also throw the truck around, too... ain’t nothing designed on cars yet that will outsmart physics... At this point, you’re already in a heap of trouble...

Take it easy and enjoy the road.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Yes, that IS correct and it should be used only at that time, It helps the trailer line back up by causing the wheels of the trailer to slow or stop forcing the truck to drag it forward. The trailer looses itís momentum. This is presupposing you only have a minor to moderate sway at a moderate speed and slowing down applying moderate brake pressure in the truck isnít helping.

A caveat here is, if youíre doing 70 and you see your trailer along side the drivers side window, squeezing the brake controler will also throw the truck around, too... ainít nothing designed on cars yet that will outsmart physics... At this point, youíre already in a heap of trouble...

Take it easy and enjoy the road.
heh, heh. No, I never did get the opportunity to see the trailer along side of the truck! Thank God!