Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
I'm Buying it for a 2800 pound slide-in truck camper.
Bob, is that 2800 advertised dry weight or a real weight ready to camp based on being weighed by the previous owner. In the 2nd case you can "get by" with an F-250 with camper package, in the first case you need an F-350 IMO.

My F-250 has the camper package and a GVWR of 9800lbs to go with it. I carry a Lance 845 designed for short beds advertised weight with propane and water on board is 2450lbs and with accessories it weighs 2660, ready to camp it's over 3000 lbs and it's a pretty light camper compared to some (most?) of the units out there. I had the truck for 3 years before I got the camper and in order to get it where I was happy with handling I had to put on StabilLoads, air bags and Timbrens, next is a set of 3750lb rated Nitto tires all 'round. Fortunately Ford did a brake upgrade in '05 so my '06 stops like a SOB even with the camper on it.

You get the idea? If you're lucky enough to get to chose your truck first buy enough truck for the camper plus a little bit. Either upgrading an existing truck to "work" or trading trucks after you find out you don't have enough truck is expensive. Get the F-350.

Kudos to you for doing the research first.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Bob, is that 2800 advertised dry weight or a real weight ready to camp based on being weighed by the previous owner. In the 2nd case you can "get by" with an F-250 with camper package, in the first case you need an F-350 IMO.

My F-250 has the camper package and a GVWR of 9800lbs to go with it. I carry a Lance 845 designed for short beds advertised weight with propane and water on board is 2450lbs and with accessories it weighs 2660, ready to camp it's over 3000 lbs and it's a pretty light camper compared to some (most?) of the units out there. I had the truck for 3 years before I got the camper and in order to get it where I was happy with handling I had to put on StabilLoads, air bags and Timbrens, next is a set of 3750lb rated Nitto tires all 'round. Fortunately Ford did a brake upgrade in '05 so my '06 stops like a SOB even with the camper on it.

You get the idea? If you're lucky enough to get to chose your truck first buy enough truck for the camper plus a little bit. Either upgrading an existing truck to "work" or trading trucks after you find out you don't have enough truck is expensive. Get the F-350.

Kudos to you for doing the research first.
Company that makes Arctic Fox Camper told me I need a dually because the camper is top heavy. 2800 is dry weight. With a dually I will not need air bags or anything else to do with weight control?

The dually is a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 2WD Quad Cab 8 Ft Box SLT and I never owned a Dodge product and I hope this is a good choice for 18,000?

Thanks, Bob

Old 12-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
AF makes a great camper, after years of reading the TC forum over at RV.net I've heard nothing but good things about them. They do run heavy and you should be well setup with a dually.

Nice to see an RV company that doesn't say "you'll be fine with your truck" just to make a sale, instead you've found one that is giving sound real world advice.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
Company that makes Arctic Fox Camper told me I need a dually because the camper is top heavy. 2800 is dry weight. With a dually I will not need air bags or anything else to do with weight control?

The dually is a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 2WD Quad Cab 8 Ft Box SLT and I never owned a Dodge product and I hope this is a good choice for 18,000?

Thanks, Bob
If the company (How rare) said you need a 1 ton DRW then I wouldn't consider anything less. As I'm typing this, I remember a couple of years ago I was at a show and looking at a similar model and got the same advise. As you can see in my signature I have a SRW F-250. Even if I beefed up the shocks, tires, and installed airbags, I would have still badly overloaded the axle and load capacity.

I would still look at the Dodge for axle and weight load capacities as well as gear ratios and engine size before I made a purchase. Not all 1 tons are created equal.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #19

'Super Duty' is a Ford term for what today are considered 'Heavy Duty' trucks. Ram and Chevy use the term 'Heavy Duty'. The only difference that I know between F-250 and F-350 SRW (single rear wheel) is the F-350 has one more leaf spring stacked. If you look you can easily see the F-250, has 1 less leaf spring.

Since the trucks are the basically the same I would buy the F-350 SRW over the F-250. The F-350 simply can carry more weight.

On a side note - one more difference is you can get a F-350 is DRW (Dual Rear Wheels) Dually. You can not get a F-250 in DRW.

For a truck Camper a F-350 would increase stability over a F-250.

A DRW F-350 would increase the stability over a SRW F-350

A F-450 better yet, then F-550 better yet. And F-650 monster truck, you would not know the camper wad there.

Oh - almost forget to mention. 2011 Chevy 2500, 3500 and Ram 2500 and 3500 IMHO are almost as good as the Fords.