Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 05:56 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Be certain that disabling EGR will raise NOx. It can also raise combustion temps enough that knock and even detonation can become an issue.
Okay, this little comment right here demonstrates that you don't know what you're talking about. It's just a bunch of technical sounding words strung together. Knock is not a phenomenon that affects diesel engines. Diesel is injected into the cylinder at a point where it ignites practically instantly. Knock isn't possible in a diesel engine that is functioning properly. There isn't any fuel in the cylinder during the compression stroke to ignite prior to reaching full compression (knock).
If you remove knock from your statement, you're left with combustion temps being high enough for detonation to become an issue. That's just meaningless jargon.

You're not running into people with hurt feelings. You're running into people who understand the topic better than you.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Okay, this little comment right here demonstrates that you don't know what you're talking about. It's just a bunch of technical sounding words strung together. Knock is not a phenomenon that affects diesel engines. Diesel is injected into the cylinder at a point where it ignites practically instantly. Knock isn't possible in a diesel engine that is functioning properly. There isn't any fuel in the cylinder during the compression stroke to ignite prior to reaching full compression (knock).
If you remove knock from your statement, you're left with combustion temps being high enough for detonation to become an issue. That's just meaningless jargon.

You're not running into people with hurt feelings. You're running into people who understand the topic better than you.
https://greengarageblog.org/13-egr-delete-pros-and-cons

check item #7 in the "cons" section. I can pull up a bunch of technical links stating the same.

I have 34 years of experience, what are your qualifications?
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:33 AM   #87

Quote:
https://greengarageblog.org/13-egr-delete-pros-and-cons

check item #7 in the "cons" section. I can pull up a bunch of technical links stating the same.

I have 34 years of experience, what are your qualifications?
Physics are my qualifications. Your link is wrong, and so are any other technical links stating that knock is possible without fuel. Pre-ignition (knock) isn't possible without a fuel.

What you're linking is yet another biased website touting incorrect information. Just look at #6 in the "cons" section. It tells you that you don't need an EGR delete kit because your EGR valve might already be plugged shut, so the delete kit won't help you.

They are actually saying that your EGR already doesn't work, so no need to get rid of it because it will then start failing emissions tests, even though it's already not working... And that's the website you're using to back up your claims.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #88

Quote:
Physics are my qualifications. Your link is wrong, and so are any other technical links stating that knock is possible without fuel. Pre-ignition (knock) isn't possible without a fuel.

No one said knock was happening withOUT fuel either.

What you're linking is yet another biased website touting incorrect information. Just look at #6 in the "cons" section. It tells you that you don't need an EGR delete kit because your EGR valve might already be plugged shut, so the delete kit won't help you.

They are actually saying that your EGR already doesn't work, so no need to get rid of it because it will then start failing emissions tests, even though it's already not working... And that's the website you're using to back up your claims.
Listen, you believe what you wanna believe. I know what I have learned over the years, both in practice and theory.

Here's an SAE paper that you can read a summary only without purchasing. https://www.jstor.org/stable/4465812...n_tab_contents

As you'll see by the date this is nothing new.

You can delete all you want and think you are smarter than engineers and scientists who pored over the matter for years and decades. If EGR was so useless they wouldn't be spending hundreds of dollars per vehicle to install it and make it more complex.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #89

Itchytoe, there are people in this world that you can argue with until youre blue. Theyre right no matter what and youre wrong. The guys probably got more miles in reverse than you do period too. If you select the username it will give you the option to put him on your ignore list. Theres just no saving some people.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #90

Quote:
No one said knock was happening withOUT fuel either.
Yes, you did. You claimed that an EGR delete on a diesel engine can raise combustion temperatures enough for knock to become an issue. There is no fuel in the cylinder of a diesel engine during the compression stroke. To have knock, you would have to have fuel there to burn. It's physically impossible to have knock in a properly running diesel engine because there is no fuel to ignite. The only time there is fuel in the cylinder is when it is intentionally injected so that it will burn.

"Diesel knock" is just an auditory phenomenon that is the result of the diesel cycle. It is a necessary part of the diesel cycle and has nothing to do with an EGR. Removing the EGR won't have any impact on that at all. That's clearly not what you were talking about though.

I'm starting to think Jshopes81 is right.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #91

I will say, I’ve been around diesels for quite a while and the emissions controls are what’s hindering them! The emissions systems are the only things that make people keep a warranty just because they’re so expensive to replace when they crap out! Yes, if you remove your EGR and did not do some tuning, you will have issues! The engine will not run efficiently. If you do not do things the correct way, you will have issues. On the other hand, when done correctly, it’s the best thing you can do for your engine for longevity and dependability. I have a 2012 Ram and was the last year of production before DEF was introduced. Thank God I never had to deal with that! I can guarantee that there was zero power loss from delecting the EGR and exhaust. In fact my truck is putting down over 470hp and 1100 lb ft of torque. I am fortunate to live in Southeast Texas because emissions testing is not performed here. If they start then I will deal with that hurdle when it comes up. Like I said in a previous post, my EGTs dropped quite a bit, fuel economy increases substantially and my oil is much cleaner than when the EGR was in place. Those are real world facts! I will continue to enjoy my truck as long as I can. Oh and I love it loud no matter what anyone thinks or who dares to call me an idiot. I can think of a few choice words for those people as well! To the OP, if you want power without worrying about a struggle to pull your load, get a diesel. If you want good fuel economy, get a diesel. If you want that diesel to last...delete it!
theaaronbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #92

Ram 1500 ecodiesel

I have a 2016 ram ecodiesel and I get 26-28 hwy, 22-23 around town. Around 13 mpg towing 8000lb car trailer. Overall I love the truck
69 roadrunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #93

Quote:
Yes, you did. You claimed that an EGR delete on a diesel engine can raise combustion temperatures enough for knock to become an issue. There is no fuel in the cylinder of a diesel engine during the compression stroke. To have knock, you would have to have fuel there to burn. It's physically impossible to have knock in a properly running diesel engine because there is no fuel to ignite. The only time there is fuel in the cylinder is when it is intentionally injected so that it will burn.

"Diesel knock" is just an auditory phenomenon that is the result of the diesel cycle. It is a necessary part of the diesel cycle and has nothing to do with an EGR. Removing the EGR won't have any impact on that at all. That's clearly not what you were talking about though.

I'm starting to think Jshopes81 is right.
I have nothing further to offer. Clearly you must be correct and we won't agree so I'll let it go. I added j to the ignored list as well, actually, a first for me here. No use getting each other pissed off about stuff.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #94

We have a 2018 Chevy Colorado CC Duramax auto 4x4.
Hi way 33 mpg
In town. 27 mpg
Towing our 6300 pound travel trailer (dry) we avg 12 mpg.
The truck is rated at 7600 pounds towing , and pulls our camper with no effort at all. I would recommend the Colorado Duramax to anyone with a camper 7000 pounds or less. You won’t be disappointed.
Rebel97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #95

The most important thing to consider when you u mpgs a diesel as a daily driver is that, in order to get long-term use from the engine, you should have drives long enough to bring it to full operating temperature. If you do lots of short trips, consider getting a gas engine.

That being said, my RAM, as described below in my signature, gets 14-16 mpg around town. On a recent 500 mile trip, empty, I clocked 19.4 mpg.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #96

I’ve got a 2013 Chevy Diesel 4X4, and I get from mid 15’s to mid 16’s mpg, driving it around town, on the road empty get around 18 to 19
gesteff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #97

GPM on DWR

I have a 2013 F350 with a 6.7 diesel 4WHEEL DRIVE DWR and for city driving I get about 14 MPG
cmgerace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #98

Diesel truck mileage

We own a 2017 3500 GMC srw, 4 x 4, crew cab and average as other replies at 13-15 in town, 18-20 on highway and with our motorcycle trailer on the highway 16-18. Good luck.
runner6608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, driver