Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
On my '13 F150 built in brake controller I am usually at 9. I came to that by the same procedure as the previous poster, but my speed is 25 mph, per the instructions I received. If I am in heavy stop and go traffic and using the brakes a lot I sometimes have to back the setting down some to prevent lockup. I recently had my wheel bearings checked and re packed and the brakes checked and adjusted and the tech said my brake shoes looked fine, so I must be doing it correctly.
Thanks for catching my fat fingered mistake, I did mean to type 25MPH; 45 on a gravel road could be dangerous, especially if the trailer brakes lock up.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #16

Mine is set for 5.5 on the integrated brake controller on my '16 Chevy 2500 pulling 9.5K. Don't feel the trailer trying to stop the truck, and don't feel the trailer trying to push the truck.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #17

Daniela, I may be "all wet" here, but, I don't think you can pick an arbitrary number. Different brands of controllers, different loads, and two axles or three will determine your gain setting. I prefer to have mine a little aggressive. I like to set mine, where's I feel a slight drag "from the trailer" rather than feeling the truck brakes first. I believe that will help keep everything in a straight line during hard braking. I always hate to look out my window, and see my trailer "trying" to pass me up! I see it as especially important on wet or slick roadways memtb

Addendum: I don't tow the miles that many of you folks do, and I do almost all of my maintenance. If I traveled a lot, I may feel differently. I've never experienced excessive wear or heat from my brakes. A bit less issue for me now with disc brakes.... still like them a little aggressive.
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
My 2016 RAM with OEM integrated controller set at 4.0 for a 13,500 Cedar Creek. Dealer rep helped me set it and I never changed.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #19

I'm usually right around 4.5 with my 11K 5th wheel and 2014 Ram. I usually start out at 1-2 when pulling it from beside the house as the brakes seem to grab and lurch if too high initially. Within a block or two from my house I'm usually at full strength and all if fine. Something I have noticed in owning 5 difference RVs over the last 15 years or so is that the brakes on every trailer feel a bit different and seem to need different amounts of power from a given controller. I will also sometimes go a notch or two higher when on the highway in case in a panic stop the trailer causes tension at the connection with the truck rather than pushing it. This was more important with the TT as opposed to my current 5th wheel due to TTs swaying more easily.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #20

CoachCJ-- Our 21,000lb 3 axle 5th wheel is set at 9 with 'lectric drums. Inspected shoes after trip in CO...no issues. I use brakes as sparingly as possible. I'm always holding gears, and when in traffic it jus' doesn't make sense to get up to speed limit to stop at the next lite so I'm a real slow-poke in towns. I'm off the fuel LONG before a stop is indicated. Everyone passes me.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #21

Unless you have auto adjust you will need to raise the gain as the adjustment starts going out.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Unless you have auto adjust you will need to raise the gain as the adjustment starts going out.
If you are talking about the brake shoe adjustment, it would need to have considerable wear to notice a reduction of braking. Why would anyone adjust a controller instead of doing proper maintenance?
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Mine is set for 5.5 on the integrated brake controller on my '16 Chevy 2500 pulling 9.5K. Don't feel the trailer trying to stop the truck, and don't feel the trailer trying to push the truck.

Mark
Same here on our 15 Silverado 2500. 5.5 BUT as said, every vehicle and trailer is different. If you are not sure, have a experienced person (if you can find one now days) set it up for you.... You DARN sure Don't want your trailer brakes locking up on slick/wet roads !!!! Sometimes less is better !!!
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
If you are talking about the brake shoe adjustment, it would need to have considerable wear to notice a reduction of braking. Why would anyone adjust a controller instead of doing proper maintenance?
I know someone like that... I thought he was better...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #25

Guess mines the only different one. Mine is set by % of trailer weight not numbers on a dial.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #26

Feel?¿? Never having done this before I have no feel. I set my P3 at 6. Then I set it at 13 and there seems to be no difference. Also, I only get lock up when standing still and engage the manual lever. At 20 it only slows. Also notice that while braking, if I use the manual lever there is a noticable difference. Currently I'm not even sure that the brakes are even working when I use the brakes..
Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #27

I have my Silverado 3500 set at 5.5 pulling my Cedar Creek. I'm having disc brakes installed so I'll let the installer set the brakes
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carvendive View Post
Feel?¿? Never having done this before I have no feel. I set my P3 at 6. Then I set it at 13 and there seems to be no difference. Also, I only get lock up when standing still and engage the manual lever. At 20 it only slows. Also notice that while braking, if I use the manual lever there is a noticable difference. Currently I'm not even sure that the brakes are even working when I use the brakes..
yeah....it sounds to me like you have an issue somewhere. What about if you hold the manual lever over and let off the vehicle brakes? What year camper and more importantly...how old are the brakes on it?
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake