Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #1

What is your gain set at on your brake controller?

Just found out the hard way that having my truck's brake controller's set too high eats ups the brakes. I normally kept my gain between 8 and 9. Took my rig in for a repacking of the bearings and found out the brakes were toast on one axle. $400 later I asked why the brakes didn't last long, the guy (35 years owning a hitch/trailer company) asked what my gain was set at. When I replied between 8 or 9, he said that was too high causing the brakes to work too hard.

We spent about 5 minutes in an open parking lot finding the sweet spot on the OEM controller after he replaced the bad brakes on the one axle. The setting ended up being 5.5 compared to 8 or 9.

Expensive lesson to learn.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I keep mine set at 3 or 4. No toad brakes under slow stopping, but quicker stops and hills it's braking.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #3

14K 5th wheel
Brake controller gain set for 5.5

Truck brakes/trailer brakes work in tandem ....each stopping themselves in unison

High gain causes hard braking
Trailer brakes adjusted too tight causes worn-out/damaged brakes

$400 for brake/bearing repack......WOW!

For under $100 I can buy Complete brake assembly for an axle (both sides----backing plate, shoes, magnets---fully assembled---just 4 bolts and 2 wire connections to install)
And that is at full retail pricing.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #4

The numerical setting is not how to set trailer brakes, as each combination of tow vehicle and trailer is different, wiring size, connection resistance, etc.
The procedure I use is; first adjust trailer brakes, warm-up your trailer brakes by using them a few times. Find a seldom-used gravel parking lot or road. Drive at 45 mph and apply your brakes, if your trailer tires slide- gradually reduce the setting to where they do not.
Then increase the setting by one until tires slide again, then back off one setting.
Some trailer folks say to do this on pavement.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #5

On my '13 F150 built in brake controller I am usually at 9. I came to that by the same procedure as the previous poster, but my speed is 25 mph, per the instructions I received. If I am in heavy stop and go traffic and using the brakes a lot I sometimes have to back the setting down some to prevent lockup. I recently had my wheel bearings checked and re packed and the brakes checked and adjusted and the tech said my brake shoes looked fine, so I must be doing it correctly.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
14K 5th wheel
Brake controller gain set for 5.5

Truck brakes/trailer brakes work in tandem ....each stopping themselves in unison

High gain causes hard braking
Trailer brakes adjusted too tight causes worn-out/damaged brakes

$400 for brake/bearing repack......WOW!

For under $100 I can buy Complete brake assembly for an axle (both sides----backing plate, shoes, magnets---fully assembled---just 4 bolts and 2 wire connections to install)
And that is at full retail pricing.
At the end of the day, if you are trained and or know how to do it, more power to ya. My expertise is behind a desk. I will gladly pay someone that knows what they are doing, especially when it comes down to important things like brakes.

And you know what? There is nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #7

I have an integrated controller on my 2012 Ram 3500, pulling a 15,300 lb Montana. Mine is set on 6.0 heavy trailer. I've set it at 6.0 light trailer and can't tell a difference.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

I adjust mine maybe twice a year. Usually low to high 7's. It depends on what I'm hauling because when I get the weight up fully loaded I have to bump that controller up a little. I just go by the seat of my pants. I'll test it a few times and find the spot just under where I feel the trailer pulling back on me. I'll raise it until I feel the trailer tug then lower it a tad until I no longer feel it.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #9

Mine started at 5.5 after a new brake rebuild...7k miles towing later I'm up to 9.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #10

brake

mine ended up being light electric 4.5
barr0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My last Rv trailer had a sweet spot at about 3.6 - 3.8. My newer tt ( same controller) likes it at 4.0 to about 4.4. You just have to have a feel for how the trailer is slowing down. Usually when I'm backing the trailer up my driveway, I'll lower it so it helps me to feather the brakes easier while backing up.

When we were returning from Alaska last September, my trailer brakes were cutting out. Some times they worked, other times only the truck was stopping or slowing down the trailer. After a few times of this, I stopped traced some of my connections. I thought the truck / RV connection had a lot of cinder dust there. I cleaned it out the best I could. Thought I was good there after. two days later same thing. Here I traced the brake wires all the way to each brake on the RV trailer (4). here where the wire exited the axle tube on the trailer, it was shorting out, causing the brakes not to work. Not sure if really only one set of brakes were failing or both axles brakes. Did a little bush fix, and everything was fine after that.

Before this planned 14k mile trip to Alaska I had the brakes adjusted. It had 5 seasons on the brakes. The brake shoes were fine. I didn't have any issues with them, I just wanted to make sure they were up to snuff for a long trip. Didn't have any monster mountains to descend, but 3-4 spots that had moderate grades where dropping the tranny a few gears helped along with some braking.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I'll test it a few times and find the spot just under where I feel the trailer pulling back on me. I'll raise it until I feel the trailer tug then lower it a tad until I no longer feel it.
This is also what I do. I start at 3 (2012 Chevy Burb Integrated Controller) and work up from there. Once I feel the trailer tug slightly while braking I stop there. Any more and the trailer brakes are working to slow itself and the tow vehicle down. With the 5700lb TT I end up around 5 but every situation/trip is different depending on how things are loaded up.
jayrodoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #13

Integrated controller on 16 Ram 3500, 16K pound 5th wheel with disk brakes, set at 6.0 - 6.5 heavy EOH. Had it at 9 Electric when the trailer had drums on it.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #14

I set mine by feel, not by number.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake