Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #15

I've had my SuperDuty 7.3 diesel for 12 years and 118K miles. It never had a warranty claim and has given great service. And it's still beautiful with two tone paint and leather captain's chairs.

The fact that Ford diesels outsell Ram and GM combined should mean something. They're all good, but the SuperDuty is a great truck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #16

Evergreen Owners Club
We have 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel pulling a 2015 Bay Hill 40'. No issues pulling, handling, or stopping. You would love th exhaust brake.

RVn Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #17

The new Ram 1400 ecodiesel is rated at 9000 towing. As far as Ford being far and away the best that is just blue ovel brainwashing and bs.
I doubt if you could find too many differences between the fully dressed out versions of all three. JMO
Old 10-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I've had my SuperDuty 7.3 diesel for 12 years and 118K miles. It never had a warranty claim and has given great service. And it's still beautiful with two tone paint and leather captain's chairs.

The fact that Ford diesels outsell Ram and GM combined should mean something. They're all good, but the SuperDuty is a great truck.
Marketing is the reason. Not cause they're better. How about the billion dollars that Ford had to spend on warranty work for the mighty 6.0.?
I don't see shops out there offering to "bullet proof" a CTD or Dmax.

Ford has had their share of problems from the 6.0 to 6.4. The 6.7 has had HPFP issues. Ford routinely denies warranty work for it. I think your tone would be different had you owned one of the POS 6.0's.

Don't get me wrong as I've been a Ford guy for most my life. But the latest issues with the HPFP turned me away and towards Ram. They still use the old style CP.3.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #19

What is HPFP and CP3?
Old 10-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #20

HPFP is High Pressure Fuel Pump. CP3 is the number of the pump. Ford and chevy run a CP4 pump and some have blown up like a grenade in your fuel system. Repair can be 12 to 15K. It is ugly. It sends metal throughout your fuel system. Chevy has been fixing theirs.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
HPFP is High Pressure Fuel Pump. CP3 is the number of the pump. Ford and chevy run a CP4 pump and some have blown up like a grenade in your fuel system. Repair can be 12 to 15K. It is ugly. It sends metal throughout your fuel system. Chevy has been fixing theirs.
The 12K-15K is greatly exaggerated price. Figure just less than half that for an accurate repair price. However Ford does pay for the warranty repairs on a warrantable fuel system repair. They do not pay for signs of water contamination. I worked at Ford and the vast majority of fuel systems claims were repaired fully under warranty while an extremely small and I mean extremely small percentage were denied due to lack of maintenance and water/DEF contamination. Most of the denials were from DEF contamination. However rest assured GM is on that band wagon. Since I left Ford I started a new career path. Some of the fleet I manage are Suburbans and quite frankly I have a visit to the dealer on a very regular basis. The technician just told me GM did a charge back to the dealer for 7K because they replaced a fuel system under warranty that had water contamination.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Marketing is the reason. Not cause they're better. How about the billion dollars that Ford had to spend on warranty work for the mighty 6.0.?
I don't see shops out there offering to "bullet proof" a CTD or Dmax.

Ford has had their share of problems from the 6.0 to 6.4. The 6.7 has had HPFP issues. Ford routinely denies warranty work for it. I think your tone would be different had you owned one of the POS 6.0's.

Don't get me wrong as I've been a Ford guy for most my life. But the latest issues with the HPFP turned me away and towards Ram. They still use the old style CP.3.
They actually do not. Only a few has been denied. Just because you see a few on forums does not mean they are routinely failed. If you actually counted post from new people the number is extremely small. I worked at Ford until recently and was part of the prior approval teams. The number of approvals were vastly larger than a small select few that were denied from water and mostly DEF contamination.

BTW, my sisters 05 6.0L has been pulling her horse trailers since day one and is sitting at 230K. Original injectors, turbo, trans, engine. Broke down on her only once that entire time and the part was $250.00 Just put on new front end parts for her 8 months ago because some of the items were starting to get loose. So it was all replaced. The body would be in much better shape if she stopped hitting things.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #23

Pick out the RV you want, then find a tow rig to match it.
If you intend to travel across the US, I'm betting a diesel truck might be the better choice.

Example: the drivers that deliver RVs from the factories to the dealers, they nearly all drive diesel trucks.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandcarol View Post
Example: the drivers that deliver RVs from the factories to the dealers, they nearly all drive diesel trucks.
Of course, wouldn't do it any other way when its for business use.

Fuel, repairs, maintenance, interest on the loan and depreciation of the truck is all deductible....
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Of course, wouldn't do it any other way when its for business use.

Fuel, repairs, maintenance, interest on the loan and depreciation of the truck is all deductible....
Those guys need the power of a diesel and the ability to tow all kinds of roads. Not just cruising thru Florida at 55 mph. They also rack up a lot of miles fast. Most will have over 250-300,000. Gassers can't do that. The average weekender drives his truck empty all week and then hooks up and goes 200 miles round trip. The hotshoter can be driving 1000's of miles each way. Another reason hotshoters use diesel is that they tow more. How are they going to get those 13-14,000lb trailers out to the dealers with a gasser?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #26

Just saying it makes it easier to pay all the extra cash you drop on today's diesels both when you have a need for it and its a write off as well.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #27

We went with a diesel. Ford F-350. My husband is a happy man and I'm pretty pleased myself. I drove it and I was hooked too.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
I had the infamous F350 "fix litre" and spent buckets of dough on repairs, all paid for by the extended warranty. We upgraded to the Ford 6.7 litre and have nothing but good things to say about the engine so far. If I could get away with a gasser I would consider it given the potential for problems with diesels. How come a commercial transport can get a million miles plus on their engines and ours are done after 250k miles?