Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott-maine View Post
Back to the original poster - If you are looking for a 3/4 ton, Ask the dealer what a comparable 1 ton would cost. You may find the difference is not that great. This will give you the opportunity to upgrade your 5er in the future. If you plan to tow in the western mountains, a diesel would be your best choice. I'm not going to get into the battle of what truck to buy, although I have a strong preference, so pick out the one you feel most comfortable with.
They did end up getting a 1 ton, and so did I, and you're right, the difference in price for me for an f250 platinum vs the f350 platinum I got was $600, lol! Easy decision to go 350 for that small of a difference

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Comparing apples to apples for a 2014 base SuperDuty pickup, 4x2 CrewCab with 8' bed and no options, here is the KBB "fair market price"

F-250 = $32,600
F-350 SRW = $33,471, or $871 more than the F-250
F-350 DRW = $34,589, or $1,989 more than the F-250 and $1,118 more than the F-350 SRW.

So you're probably not going to find a new F-350 dually that you can buy for only $800 more than a comparably-equipped SRW.

The phrase "one ton" is often used today to refer to the F-350 SRW. But an F-350 SRW has nowhere near the hitch weight capacity of a real one-ton dually. For 2013-up:

F-250 GVWR = 10,000 pounds
F-350 SRW GVWR with diesel engine and 18" tires = 11,500 pounds
F-350 DRW GVWR with diesel engine = 14,000 pounds.

So don't fall into the trap of thinking an F-350 SRW is a "one ton" truck. It's not. Because of hitch weight limitations, an F-350 SRW CrewCab 4x4 can tow a 5er or gooseneck trailer that grosses up to around 12,000 pounds before running out of payload capacity for hitch weight. But a real one-ton dually CrewCab 4x4 can tow a much-heavier trailer, up to around 20,000 pounds, before it runs out of payload capacity for hitch weight.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #45

KBB value can be quite far off, and even new prices with vary greatly depending what part of the country and what brand you're looking at. But regardless of all that another 2k on a five year loan isn't much difference, well worth it if you think you plan to keep the truck forever and/or ever get a bigger trailer cause I'd you don't you'll be looking at another 20k or more later on to remedy the problem you could've solved with 2k at the beginning.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #46

A 3500 Srw is still a real one ton truck.
A 3500 Drw is a one ton with more load capacity.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Comparing apples to apples for a 2014 base SuperDuty pickup, 4x2 CrewCab with 8' bed and no options, here is the KBB "fair market price"

F-250 = $32,600
F-350 SRW = $33,471, or $871 more than the F-250
F-350 DRW = $34,589, or $1,989 more than the F-250 and $1,118 more than the F-350 SRW.

So you're probably not going to find a new F-350 dually that you can buy for only $800 more than a comparably-equipped SRW.

The phrase "one ton" is often used today to refer to the F-350 SRW. But an F-350 SRW has nowhere near the hitch weight capacity of a real one-ton dually. For 2013-up:

F-250 GVWR = 10,000 pounds
F-350 SRW GVWR with diesel engine and 18" tires = 11,500 pounds
F-350 DRW GVWR with diesel engine = 14,000 pounds.

So don't fall into the trap of thinking an F-350 SRW is a "one ton" truck. It's not. Because of hitch weight limitations, an F-350 SRW CrewCab 4x4 can tow a 5er or gooseneck trailer that grosses up to around 12,000 pounds before running out of payload capacity for hitch weight. But a real one-ton dually CrewCab 4x4 can tow a much-heavier trailer, up to around 20,000 pounds, before it runs out of payload capacity for hitch weight.
X2. Dually is the only way to go to handle a heavy 5ver 12K or more. People that have them understand trucks and capacity. Don't put yourself and your family at risk and do not listen to others that blow smoke here trying to convince you and themselves their SRW can handle the load.They are giving you bad information. Safe travels.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #48

My husband and I just starting to make plans for our full time RV adventure and we know for sure our F-250 SRW is not going to be the right truck for what ever TH 5th we decide to get. Even if we get say the Voltage 3200(the dealer said our truck can pull just it fine, I don't agree) I think we would need to get a different truck by the time we load the TH up because we would be over weight for our truck.

So I think a F-350 or RAM 3500 DRW will be good for us and what ever TH 5th wheel we chose. Really like Ford just because its what we have always had. But going to go look at both trucks and decide after we find the right 5th wheel. By the time we decide on one we may need a even bigger truck.

We are new to the forum and just love all the info we are getting.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
I don't see a signature. What truck and rig do you have. Since you want to knock others trucks on this forum let us see your truck specs. Mine are in my signature. Show us your info so we can see if you are overloaded. Put your info where your mouth is. lol

My 12K 5ver weighs about 16K when loaded. My pin is 3520. I guess none of you carry anything in your beds or fill your fuel tank and no passengers or a 5th wheel hitch or tools. At a 4500lb payload subtract the above items and plus the pin weight and tell me what you have left. You may have a much lighter rig then I have so your numbers may be close if you own 2014 or 2015 SRW

Older SWR have no where near a 4500lb payload. I say each to his own-my dually handles my weights with no problem. Lets see your numbers.
I have a 3391 payload on my 2013 F350 Platinum 6.7L 4 door crew cab and my trailer is a 2007 Keystone Cougar 276RLS with a pin weight of 1400 or so, overall around 7400 empty weight i believe so im well within my specs, my truck doesnt even know its towing that little light thing! I used to tow that trailer with my 2010 f150 fully loaded lariat with a 5.4L and a payload of 1230 and I estimate that i was 500-1000 pounds over payload when loaded but thats nothing for a Ford, didnt even squat it past level. I was still higher in the rear than the front due to the factory rake ford has, no extra springs or bags were even needed. I upgraded to the 350 when i decided to expand my trips from 200 miles to 2000 miles and leave the flat state of North Dakota and I didnt wanna have to slow down going over mountains. The F150 did excellent locally and held 65 mph in 5th gear at 2200 RPM all day long on the flat ground.

I agree with the other poster cause I know that the higher the trim level you have the lower your payload. if you get a 4x2 reg cab XL the lack of extra options and cab lower the truck weight significantly and you get a higher payload capacity as a result. F150s with the heavy duty package had a max payload capacity of 2687, yup thats correct, not a typo, payload capacity of 2687 on a F150!

The max towing capacity on my f350 is 15900 pounds so that leaves 3900 pounds you can load into your 12K trailer. My truck would be 129 pounds over payload with your numbers, if that concerns you then put 129 of your crap from the front or the box of your truck into the back of the trailer, it will balance out, haha!

Lesser trim level trucks, 4x2 or reg cab with have a higher payload. Also dont forget, there are lots of lighter pin weight trailers out there as well as ones with storage in the back vs the front, so a 12K 5er with a srw is easily doable within specs and frankly if im over by a 1000 on payload im not concerned cause there is a whole lot of safety margin built into the numbers. I farm and have lots of experience towing and hauling well over payload capacities. I wouldnt recommend a first timer whos never pulled a trailer in their life go max out and exceed their trucks capacities however, it takes experience to pull a trailer and the heavier it gets the more you gotta know and pay attention to whats going on. Your truck is not going to implode when you exceed your capacity by 120 pounds,

That being said a DRW never hurts if youre buying a new truck and want some room for upgrading trailers down the road but if you already have a SRW id not worry about getting a new truck for a 12K trailer unless you have a chevy or a dodge.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #50

Why don't you tell people when you post that you are towing one of the lightest fifth wheels on the road? It is no where near a full size fifth wheel. So by your own pin weight 0f 3391 you could not even tow my rig since you would be over weight on your payload before you put anything in the truck like a passenger, generator, blocks, fuel tools, etc.. When you add those items you are way over on payload with my rig. Your trailer is only 26'2" long-most people would not even consider a 5ver of 26' The average 5ver today is probably 35 to 39 foot long. These are true full size 5vers.

To sum this up for people who are looking for a truck to tow a heavy fifth wheel buy a king of the towers from one of the big three which are duallys and you will be happy. It will tow most any fifth wheel on the road.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #51

Mobilecastle
X2. Dually is the only way to go to handle a heavy 5ver 12K or more. People that have them understand trucks and capacity. Don't put yourself and your family at risk and do not listen to others that blow smoke here trying to convince you and themselves their SRW can handle the load.They are giving you bad information. Safe travels.

I suggest you read the payloads and towing capacities in this chart. Probably been a long time since you looked at a new truck.
http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...wing.Specs.pdf
Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Mobilecastle

I suggest you read the payloads and towing capacities in this chart. Probably been a long time since you looked at a new truck.
http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...wing.Specs.pdf
according to your chart you can get a SRW with a payload of 4500 and a tow rating of 17K, which is more than enough to handle a 12K 5er with a 2500lb pin weight, so what exactly are you saying isnt correct there?
Old 11-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #53

Sutan states Ford is the best truck. So if you own a Chevy or Dodge he feels your truck is second rate-that includes you Jim since you tow with a Chevy and you own a Dodge. I personally feel Cummins is a great motor.

Its has been fun.

I think the big three all build good trucks-I could own any of them.

If you are looking to buy a truck read below:

If you want to tow a heavy fifth wheel, a diesel Diesel Dually works well. It will tow most any 5ver on the road. I feel it is safer since it has 4 rear tires. If you have a blowout on one of the rear tires you still have the extra tire to help you get off the road safely-without it trying to stop a heavy 5ver may not be easy. This truck fits my bill since I am a towing 8 tons going down the road fulltime. I not only want to pull the 5ver but I want to be able to stop it. If you are towing a heavy 5ver and want a SWR make sure to closely check all specs on the truck to make sure you are not exceeding your payload after you put your passengers and gear in. I wish all of you safe travels even the two guys I have been posting back and forth with. Time for me to move on.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #54
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Several posts have been removed as they were flaming other members.

Let's stay on topic please.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
according to your chart you can get a SRW with a payload of 4500 and a tow rating of 17K, which is more than enough to handle a 12K 5er with a 2500lb pin weight, so what exactly are you saying isnt correct there?
My reply was to Mobilecastle saying you need a DRW to tow 12,000+lbs. Clearly Ram's 3500 CTD SRW would tow it.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
My reply was to Mobilecastle saying you need a DRW to tow 12,000+lbs. Clearly Ram's 3500 CTD SRW would tow it.
I would add along with certain configured 6.7 super cab F350 SRW with a 11500 GVWR and payloads up to 4430 lbs payload per Fleet Ford specs.

And per GMs online ordering guide weight calculator certain configured 3500 SRW LTZ D/A crew cab has up to 4400 lbs payload.

Mfg specs shows the one ton SRW with the right configuration can easily handle in excess of 12k lbs. How much depends on the trailers configuration/specs/floorplans/axle placement/CCC/shipping weights/etc and how much "stuff" the truck owners carries.

Making a statement that a certain truck can't safely tow over a certain number or a certain length isn't the best idea.
My max is not exceeding the truck makers RAWR/tire load ratings and recommended tow ratings. Others may use different numbers as their max which is fine

Brands ??
Having Fords/GM and Dodge DRW trucks in service and on the road over the years I'm not loyal to any brand although certain engine designs need to be considered when buying a used truck.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote