Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

What kind of truck?

We have a 2003 f150 lariat v8 and it is pulling a 2005 Fleetwood Pegasus quite comfortably. We are looking to upgrade and now find we are going to have to upgrade the truck too. We want to stay in a lite for economy and efficiency. The 26 ft Pegasus somewhat suits our needs so we do not really want to go much bigger. We are looking at the open range by heartland.

Do we really need a f350 diesel? Is there a better make for a fifth wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #2

Pegasus is a fifth wheel lite. Says it is ok with a F150. We are planning to spend a couple of days traveling then staying for 2 weeks it more with the goal to visit all our kids across the us . We are planning to go full time for 2 years. We find we need more for full time but plan on keeping minimal. Does that change the situation.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am fond of refering people who need bigger trucks to Trail-hauler (Dot com) but frankly in your case that (Mini Peterbuilt) is ..... Over kill times 10.

If you are only SLIGHTLY upgrading a C-20 should do just fine (not a F-Fan) Or the equivalent Doge What is that, 2500? (Still not an F Fan)
Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #4

Thanks. What are you a fan of. We aren't locked into Ford or anything that is just what we have and looked at. I thought the F350 diesel was over kill .

Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #5

I did not catch the C 20 reference. Thank you.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkn1946 View Post
I did not catch the C 20 reference. Thank you.

The C-20 ia a 3/4 ton Chevy. You said you would like to go full time in a year or two, so maybe a F-250 will be a nice fit for you, you can get it in a 2WD or 4WD and SRT. Short bed or long bed. Yes I am a Ford man, but any of the big 3 should work just fine for you.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #7

I was pulling a 31 ft 5ver with a V10 F250 and it was a good match. I went to diesel to pull a bigger rig to fulltime in and it has worked out well. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are going full time you will have to consider Floor Plan, Floor Plan, Floor Plan,

What are you going to do? Where are you going to do it? What happens if you have to spend several days inside due to inclement weather? What hobbies will you need space for?

Buying the TV will limit you in your choices for living accommodations. Select the unit you will live in and then match a TV to it.

Many folks complain about having to drive a heavier truck as a daily driver quoting rough ride, heavier fuel consumption and difficulty parking. While there is some truth in the complaints it is not a reason to overload the TV. Our 450 is manageable. True it is not a sports car but the ride is acceptable. I use it to go to the store, golf course, movie theatres, etc. It drives well and makes about 16 mpg empty.

Conclusion - buy your final RV first and save all the headaches and trade up costs you will encounter if you have to trade up.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Open range by Heartland? Not following that.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #10

Looked it up on Bing.com and this is what I found.

Open Range RV newest product lightweight 1/2 ton towable Fifth Wheel

Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
If you know how much the trailer weighs read the ford towing specs and pick the truck configuration that will handle the trailer. Its that simple.

Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com
Old 10-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #12

Alternate Idea

If you find yourself needing a little more tow capacity, I'll be selling my F250 Supercab Short bed PSD 6.0 with Pull Rite Sliding hitch rated to 25K & air bags. Just put new Michelen's on in Feb. It runs great. Other upgrades are K&N cold air intake with Magna flow 3.5 inch straight thru muffler from cat back. It's clean as a whistle. You can get me at leadog1@gmail.com

I just bought a new F350 DRW
Old 10-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
If you are going full time you will have to consider Floor Plan, Floor Plan, Floor Plan,

What are you going to do? Where are you going to do it? What happens if you have to spend several days inside due to inclement weather? What hobbies will you need space for?

Buying the TV will limit you in your choices for living accommodations. Select the unit you will live in and then match a TV to it.

Many folks complain about having to drive a heavier truck as a daily driver quoting rough ride, heavier fuel consumption and difficulty parking. While there is some truth in the complaints it is not a reason to overload the TV. Our 450 is manageable. True it is not a sports car but the ride is acceptable. I use it to go to the store, golf course, movie theatres, etc. It drives well and makes about 16 mpg empty.

Conclusion - buy your final RV first and save all the headaches and trade up costs you will encounter if you have to trade up.
Excellent advice.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #14

Fuel consumption difference is nearly nill, ive had rangers, s10 blazers, explorers, f150s, f350 diesels and they all get 15-16 average. The diesel gets the best of all actually at 19 empty going 70 mph, but average over 1000 miles or more of driving theres not a big enough difference to even warrant even considering that a factor in my opinion. Lol!

Fords are the best 2011-present no contest if you want top end platinum trim models with best/most features. Rams are good 13+for interior design/features, Chevys a ways behind easy #3. Ford easily has best 1/2 ton capabilites for the max loads and a tad beyond ratings, heavy duty too but the others close the gap more with the heavy dutys. Ford super duty has the best ride of the heavy dutys. All/any would be capable if you don't care about top trim level goodies or ride, fords are just nicer, hold up longer and break less from my experience. Still got and use every ford on the farm we've ever purchased while Chevys go down the road and have more issues by far while owned. Some Pre 2008 Chevys were great but their post bailout offerings are dated and problematic compared to ford and dodge and nearly every hardcore Chevy fanboys I know drive ford or dodge when buying new, even ones with bowie tattoos, lol! true story.