Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
8 ft.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #16
Lak

My thanks to all that answered I really appreciate your assistance and best of all it's from people that know what they are talking about from experience. Down the road I'll purchase a 3500 HD dually, with a diesel and a long bed.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
We are looking at DRW only. We Prefer the Mega Cab (short) for the family and the looks. It is the same wheelbase as the Crew with the long bed correct?

The issue you all keep referring to is the hitch being too close to the back of the cab?
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
You would be better served by the crew cab long bed for pulling a 5th wheel unless you want to invest in a sliding hitch. Yes, the problem is the cab-to-axle dimension, and since the 5th wheel hitch should be mounted 2 to 4 inches ahead of the rear axle centerline, this translates into a cab-to-kingpin-bore dimension problem.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
We are looking at DRW only. We Prefer the Mega Cab (short) for the family and the looks. It is the same wheelbase as the Crew with the long bed correct?

The issue you all keep referring to is the hitch being too close to the back of the cab?
Yes it is the same wheelbase as cc long bed just has short bed and additional cab space. The inside is awesome. Rear seats recline and lots of storage behind seats. I luv my megacab.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #20
PJL

Agree the mega cab is a great interior design for rear passengers. However, the wheelbase (for 2014) is 160" for the mega cab, compared to 168.9" for the crew cab long bed.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Agree the mega cab is a great interior design for rear passengers. However, the wheelbase (for 2014) is 160" for the mega cab, compared to 168.9" for the crew cab long bed.
I stand corrected PJL. That's my bad. I thought all along they were the same length wheelbase. Maybe the older body style were the same. You learn something everyday.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #22

For that length 5er get a 1 ton dually with a long bed and you will have no issues.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #23

I have a 33' toy box and have towed it with both a CC dually long bed and a CC short bed. Both F-350's. By far the the dually long bed more stable and had a better ride. As mentioned by others, you will need a long bed dually for a 40' toy box.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
If you get the mega, and a slider hitch, how does that "solve" the problem?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #25

I always use crew cab trucks so in most cases the long bed is out as it doesn't fit my needs nor do I need one in most cases..
We tow up to 22k lb trailers with short bed trucks so a long bed insn't needed. Its more about preference.

The trucks wheel base determines ride quality not bed length. However most LDT now have wheel bases in the 140" -160" range and having both I find no differences in handling or ride quality.

If the short bed truck meets your needs then get it. Or if you want the long bed then get one. Its really not that big of a deal now days.
Or the rounded front corner profile trailers that eliminate the need for a slider.
Then we have pin boxes like the Sidewinder from Reese that eliminates the need for sliding hitches on shortbed trucks.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #26

Having towed with both the short bed and currently a long bed model do yourself a favor and get the long bed. There are many more positives than there are negitives and as others have said make sure it is a one ton.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #27

Answer to first question IMO is 8' box.

Quote:
I have a 2006 Megacab and a 36' 5er. No slider hitch, no crunched cabs, and no problems.
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #28

Quote:
I too tow with a 2008 Mega Cab and a slider hitch plus an extended pin box. The 5er also has the 88 DEG'S corners on it.

The slider hitch will extend 14” to the rear of the bed when activated either automatically or manually. Thus it will provide additional clearance between the 5er and the truck cab when extended. I have the manual sliding15K Reese sliding hitch; the only time that I extend the slider is when I have to maneuver in the camp ground and or put the trailer in the driveway at home. All other times it is in the tow position and I can maneuver on any city street or highway including the filling stations at truck stops with no issues.

My 6’5” bed length has more than enough space for the items that I need to carry which includes an under the rail tool box, two 6’ 2X8’s for the trailer, a tri-pod for the king-pin and an air tank for airing up tires. Everything else is either in the trailer or in the truck.

Jim W.

Tags
5th wheel