Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #29
Just going down the road todaty in my 18 wheeler . Lwas passed by a short bed Dodge mega hauling a huge Voltage the was a mile of space between the cap and back of truck. It all depends on how far your king pin extends and the shape of the cap. Check out airforce pinboxes if you want the mega short bed. And worried about hitting the cab..

jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #30
I have an 8' bed and love it. I can carry lots and lots of stuff from bags of mulch to firewood.

I have had my 5er at near 90 while backing. It is nice to back and kinda spin the 5th wheel exactly where the DW wants it.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #31
Country Coach Owners Club
I hate to start a weight police question but nobody has asked so I will. In addition to the length of the trailer what is the weight? If 12-14 K you should be OK with a dually. Most later models have engine braking plus increased brake capacity.

I had a 41' toyhauler and found it to heavy for my dually. It "pulled" it fine as most will say but found that it would not stop safely. I replaced it with a 99 freightliner sportchasis. It was far superior in every way to the pick up. It was 2 ' longer but turned 30% sharper. It rode better with air ride cab, suspension and hitch. Same or better milage and would stop it with a trailer brake failure. Had 10 times the space to haul extra stuff and the best part was the cost. My new 3/4 ton I just bought was twice the price that I paid and sold it for what I had in it. I even drove it a 100 miles a day for my daily driver. The DW would drive it as well.
Steveoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #32

We love our goosneck hitch...towns much better than fifth wheel hitch fyi
Ebendana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #33
Originally Posted by Ebendana View Post
We love our goosneck hitch...towns much better than fifth wheel hitch fyi
Why do so many makers of 5th wheels say warranty void if you use a gooseneck hitch?
"Good Things In Life Take a Long Time"
Lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Lak View Post
Why do so many makers of 5th wheels say warranty void if you use a gooseneck hitch?
Because a gooseneck adaptor puts a lot more leverage on the trailer frame under the overhang hear the kingpin. The frame of a 5er was designed to handle a fifth wheel hitch, but it has to be much stronger to safely handle a gooseneck hitch without bending.

My local welding/blacksmith shop can add a lot of steel to the trailer frame around the kingpin under the overhang to make it strong enough to safely handle a gooseneck hitch. He did that to his own 5er, and will do it for yours for a hefty price. If the underside of the overhang is finished with a cover to fully enclose the frame around the kingpin, then that cover has to be removed before the necessary welding can be done. On a lot of the better 5ers, that's almost impossible to get done without messing up the looks of the cover.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel