Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #15

When I'm on long trips, I check online for fuel prices along the way. It's nice to know how much to buy to get you to the next cheap fuel. And having a 600 mile range would be nice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #16

I have a 60gal tank/toolbox from RDS. Had it in my '07 dually, now the 450. To me, it is an essential need for towing heavy and long distances. While I have to stop regularly for the wife and dogs to stretch, I use gas.buddy.com to look ahead at diesel prices. It has not been difficult to locate fuel pricing differences at up to +50c/gal--when adding 70+gal, that difference is $35---on our AK trip, the total savings was substantial.
When driving solo, can get 1100 miles, 700 towing, but I have over 205k on my truck, so it works more for me than someone who only hits 8-10k a year. It does take up space in my truck bed that could be used for lots of other stuff on a long trip.
The tanks are not for everybody--give consideration to the replacement tank from Transferflow as mentioned, or Titan Tanks.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
Thanks all. It's very reassuring to know that I purchased enough truck. I will wait before considering any air lift modifications.

I will begin to research auxiliary fuel tanks. Who installs these? Seems like a rather delicate operation.

I do intend, right out of the gate, to install as stacked washer/dryer in the closet near the hitch, so that should add a bit of weight.

James
I know you said you were going to hold off on bags, when you get ready or have any questions let me know!

Jeremy
Old 04-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #18

Hi Jeremy,
well I like the idea of having air bags that can level the tow vehicle. I am concerned about air bags stiffening the ride of the unladened truck, which is already firm enough!

James
Old 04-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carry extra DEF with you.

Friend of mine just came to California from Wisconsin and had a problem finding it along the way.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Hi Jeremy,
well I like the idea of having air bags that can level the tow vehicle. I am concerned about air bags stiffening the ride of the unladened truck, which is already firm enough!

James
I ran 5PSI unloaded on my RAM Dually and the ride was the same as with out bags.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I pull my toy hauler with a 2015 F450 and while your toy hauler is larger the pin weight is similar. Not that big of a difference in the trucks and I can't think of anything you'd need. Personally, unless absolutely needed for leveling the truck, I'd stay away from airbags. The only thing I want is air horns but it's hard to justify the cost. My wife definitely doesn't think they are a necessity. The air horn addition will be one of those items that I just go and have it done and ask for forgiveness.
you do know that Harbor Freight sales air horns with compressor kit? The only different is the warehouse your installer buys from.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #22

Thanks, didn't know that, I need to check them out.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #23

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Jeremy,

James
While unloaded, just take the psi down to 5 and you should not even know the bags are there.

That is the nice thing about bags, adjust them when you need to!

Tags
tow