Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Something else, Cummins is the only Diesel in the F650/750.
True right now, after Cat stopped selling truck engines, and Ford never planned for the 6.7 to be used in a medium-duty truck. But before that, it depends on the year. For several years, in the F-650/750, you had a choice of several different PowerStroke, Cat and Cummins diesel engines, along with numerous choices of manual, automated manual, and automagic trannies, and single or two-speed rear axles. For example, in 2007 model year, there were 4 different PowerStroke, 8 different Cummins and 9 different Cat C7 engines available. But CAT dropped out of the diesel engine business, and Navistar didn't develop the 6.4 diesel to be used in a medium-duty truck, so I guess that just leaves the various Cummins diesels now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #16

The 6.0 coolant is a major root cause for many of the problems. The EGR cooler is a just a symptom of the plugged up oil cooler, which root cause is the Ford use of the gold coolant. Switch to the red diesel truck coolant, CAT EC-1 spec, and it avoids a lot of the problems. If high mileage, the oil cooler probably needs replacing and would not hurt to do the EGR cooler or EGR delete as well.

There are some other problems too, but use 5W-40 full synthetic oil, don't increase boost more than factory levels and it seems to live fine. Most of the head gasket problems are result of tuners. The aftermarket has figured out the fixes for the 6.0 and it can be as reliable as others, emphasis on can be, just takes money to do the improvements.

Whatever you do, avoid the 6.4 at all costs. The new 6.7 is a much improved over the 6.4. Main problem with the 6.4 is all the emissions stuff that makes it run too hot and burn itself up. 6.0 does not have the same emissions stuff, although the engine designs are similar. 6.7 is a new design and not the same family as 6.0/6.4 family.

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #17

Those 12v are great motors super strong engines . My son is still plugging around in my old 94.20 yrs from now they will be sought after motors much like an old hemi is today
. JMO
Old 09-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Something else, Cummins is the only Diesel in the F650/750.

My 98 4X4 I recently sold to my Son has nearly 400K is a strong rummer and I recently bought a 98 12V 2wd with 313K and it runs great at 22-23 mpg freeway.
For only a few model years. The International 7.3 and 6.0L were options. The CAT (great engine) was a very popular choice for those trucks until CAT decided to not get into emissions diesels. The Ford 6.8L gasser is an available engine and very soon only the 6.8L gasser and the Ford built 6.7L diesel will be the only choices. No more Cummins.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Navistar didn't develop the 6.4 diesel to be used in a medium-duty truck, so I guess that just leaves the various Cummins diesels now.
Actually the 6.4 (AKA MaxxForce 7) is in many various International medium duty branded chassis. Including some FRED motorhomes. This may be the last year for it though.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
For only a few model years. The International 7.3 and 6.0L were options. The CAT (great engine) was a very popular choice for those trucks until CAT decided to not get into emissions diesels. The Ford 6.8L gasser is an available engine and very soon only the 6.8L gasser and the Ford built 6.7L diesel will be the only choices. No more Cummins.
2016 only diesel will be the PS in the 650/750's.

They got tired of me calling them out on not using their own engine!

Tags
roof