Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #1

What should I expect to pay for a truck cap with a pass thru window access.

I am looking for a HD model TV coming from an expedition and will have to stick the dogs in the back of the truck bed under a topper. However, I want to put in a pass thru boot and box off a small area in the topper so the dogs will have A/C from the cab and it would be safer for them also.

What should I expect to pay for a decent topper? Wife is already baulking at 50K for the truck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by schupaul View Post
What should I expect to pay for a decent topper?
There are cheap toppers, "decent" toppers, and really nice toppers. I wanted the best, so mine is a Leer 100XQ. On the 100 XQ, Leer has options for

Front Slider Window
Removable Front Picture Window
Removable Front Slider Window

LEER Truck Caps, Toppers and Camper Shells#

Mine is on a 6.5' bed of a 2012 F-150. I paid full retail of $1,989 plus a couple of options and TT&L. I'm sure you could get that price down to $1,700 or so with some negotiating, or shopping around to other Leer dealers on the internet. And probably less than $1,500 for a different Leer model.

Note that the Leer 100XQ toppers are painted at the factory to exactly match the truck, so dealers don't usually stock more than one demo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120106_IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	20016  

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by schupaul View Post
I am looking for a HD model TV coming from an expedition and will have to stick the dogs in the back of the truck bed under a topper. However, I want to put in a pass thru boot and box off a small area in the topper so the dogs will have A/C from the cab and it would be safer for them also.

What should I expect to pay for a decent topper? Wife is already baulking at 50K for the truck.
I recently had a leer 180 cap placed on my silverado shortbed. 1500.00 installed by Leonard dealership. paint matched perfectly, high quality top. very happy with this.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

Look around on your local craigslist. I have been looking for a used one for my megacab. Just have not found the one I want yet. But have seen them as low as 3-400 dollars. Might have to paint it but the 1500+ for a new one is hard to swallow.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
I've read reports that the "boot" (actually, an overgrown gasket) will wear away the finish on the truck's cab. You might consider a homemade gasket between the rear window of the truck and the front window of the cap (you can get front cap windows that have a slider that matches the one on the truck). It might be necessary to leave both windows open all the time to make that work.

Tags
window