Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #1

What size/length trailer can our truck pull?

Dear RV world, my husband and I are needing info as to what size/length trailer our truck can pull. We are wanting to purchase a trailer and don't want to push the limits as we will be traveling in mountains out west. We plan on staying mostly in state and national parks. We would really appreciate your expertise. Thanks so much ahead of time. Info Seekers

Whoops! We have a Ford F 150, V 6, Turbo charge, Eco boost wig max tow package, 51/2 foot bed, 355 or 3.55 differential. You can see we are new to this

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
You need to provide specifics about your TV , towing vehicle.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #3

You can find some of the required information on the door sticker on the driver's side of the vehicle. You need to know the curb weight which is the unloaded vehicle as it left the factory with a full tank of fuel but no driver, passenger or ... not even a pair of sunglasses, you know what I mean. Next you need to know the GWR or Gross Vehicle Rating which can also be found on that door sticker. You deduct the curb weight from the GWR which gives you the payload capacity, that is the maximum weight of driver, passenger, gear, and tongue weight of the trailer the truck is legally allowed (capable) of carrying.
Next, to find the maximum weight of the trailer the truck can pull you need to consult your owner's manual, it should show somewhere what the maximum towing capacity of your truck is. For that to find out you need to know the wheel base, differential (3.55), cab size, box length (5'6") and option package (King Ranch for example) of your truck.
Now, since you're planning to travel west through the mountains be forewarned that your truck engine will lose a significant amount of engine power the more you gain altitude. The tow ratings are for towing in favorable conditions at sea level and therefor it would be a good idea to stay below the maximum by a good margin.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #4

You didn't mention the year of your truck.
Here is the towing guide for 2017 Ford vehicles.
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/..._F150_Sep7.pdf

You can find similar guides, for whatever year truck you have.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #5

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Stop thinking about size, and remember Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, or GVWR. Your trailer can be enormous if it's light enough.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, maybe not enormous since there is a rating for frontal area of the trailer as well. But it can be very long for the same weight as a shorter trailer. I would try to stay under 26 feet with a half ton or you have to start worrying about sway from side winds. It also is the size limit of many state and national park campgrounds. You can go bigger but sites may be more difficult to find.

There are tons of trailers that fall into the 26 foot, 6000 pound category and you should have no problem towing that size and weight of trailer.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info seekers View Post
Dear RV world, my husband and I are needing info as to what size/length trailer our truck can pull. ... We have a Ford F 150, V 6, Turbo charge, Eco boost wig max tow package, 5 1/2 foot bed, 3.55 differential.
Hi, Info seekers, and and to our campfire.

The easily-obtained numbers are almost useless, because you must do too much guessing and estimating. So don't try to use the Ford towing guide or the payload sticker inside the driver's doorframe.

There are three different limiters as to how much travel trailer (TT) you can tow without being overloaded:

1] GVWR of your F-150
2] rear GAWR of your F-150
3] Tongue weight (TW) rating of your F-150's receiver hitch when used with a weight-distributing (WD) hitch.

Compute the max trailer weight you can tow with each of those three limiters, and then use the one that results in the lightest trailer.

I'll first address 3] because you can do that one without going to a scale. Crawl under the back bumper and look up to the frame of the receiver hitch. You'll see a sticker that shows various weight limits. Ignore all except the TW with a WD hitch. Divide the TW with a WD hitch by 0.13 and the answer is the heaviest tandem axle TT you can tow without exceeding the weight limits of the receiver.

1] and 2] require you to weigh the wet and loaded F-150 on a certified automated truck scale. So load the F-150 with everybody and everything that will be in it when towing. I'll repeat - EVERYTHING! including people, pets, tools, jacks, toys, campfire wood, grill and fuel for the grill, generator and fuel for the generator, whatever weight you will have in the truck. Then drive to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck scale, fill up with gas, then weigh the wet and loaded F-150.

For 1], add the weight on the two axles of the F-150 to get GVW. Subtract GVW from the GVWR of the F-150 and the answer is the payload capacity available for hitch weight. Then subtract 100 pounds from the payload capacity available for hitch weight to get payload capacity available for trailer tongue weight. Divide the payload capacity available for trailer tongue weight by 0.13 to get approximately the max weight of any tandem-axle TT you can tow without exceeding the GVWR (and payload capacity) of the F-150.

For 2], subtract the weight on the rear axle of the F-150 from the rGAWR of the F-150. Divide the answer by 0.13 and the result is the approximate weight of any TT you can tow without exceeding the rGAWR of your F-150.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #9

My rule of thumb for a half ton is 6000 pounds.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
My rule of thumb for a half ton is 6000 pounds.

That's about what I pull with mine. Does ok

Probably wouldn't head to the mountains but I can survive in the hills ok
Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #11

I like 28 ft and under 6000 lbslike my first camper
Old 08-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #12

We have a lot of agreement on 6k for a half ton. Probably could go to 65-6800 if you don't exceed your payload capacity.
The idea is to not be maxed out and have your truck at the limit which will not make for a pleasant towing experience.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:18 PM   #13

Ford gives the '17 F150 3.5 Ecoboost 3.55 gears a 10k-11k tow rating.......however the weight of the trailer will be determined by how much load the truck can carry.

The F150 3.5 EB engine shows three rawr numbers. If your truck has the ;;
...3800 rawr its good for around 1500 lb payload in the bed= approx 6k trailer.
... 4050 rawr is good for around 1700-1800 lb payload in the bed = 7k trailer.
... 4550 rawr...........................2000-2200 lb ...........................= 9k trailer.
...4800 rawr............................2300-2500 lb............................= 10k trailer.
All numbers are approx and depend on cab selections/2wd or 4wd/etc so you have a idea what your looking at with your specific truck specs.

Your trucks gvwr/rawr numbers are on the drivers side door post. Use the clicky from Ford to get tow ratings and other specs.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #14

I have a 2016 Ford F 150 3.5 Eco-boost with 3.55 and pull a Heartland 26LRSS Caliber Ultra Light running around 7000 fully loaded with 300lbs in the bed of my truck. Pulls great on hills and we slide into slow lane on steep descents. Live out west and have traveled the US with my rig with zero issues. For peace of mind scale the truck and trailer so you know all your weight from gross, axle and tongue specs. You will do just fine. Happy camping.

Tags
trailer