Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 10:55 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Good advice. While SRW will be able to tow it you will really appreciate the dual wheels when you encounter strong cross winds. The stability will be substantially better.
False statement. I've towed 55K with a '12 3500HD SRW and 2K with a '16 3500HD DRW. Same 16K trailer. No difference in crosswind stability. The ride on the SRW was slightly rougher, probably due to Timbrens.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
False statement. I've towed 55K with a '12 3500HD SRW and 2K with a '16 3500HD DRW. Same 16K trailer. No difference in crosswind stability. The ride on the SRW was slightly rougher, probably due to Timbrens.
Good one Russell but illogical. So you say they are the same but you had to upgrade the SRW to achieve the results. 2000 km is a very small sample compared to 55000 and memory being what it is?
Old 01-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Good one Russell but illogical. So you say they are the same but you had to upgrade the SRW to achieve the results. 2000 km is a very small sample compared to 55000 and memory being what it is?
What is illogical?

And your experience is???

At least I towed with same generation model truck and engine. The Timbrens would not affect crosswind stability.

It is your turn to supply facts or actual experience to sport your "claim" that DRW is more stable than SRW in crosswinds.

For the record, that was 55K MILES towing with the SRW not km and 2K miles on the DRW.

Plus, I towed with the SRW right up to getting the DRW. My memory is not that poor.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 01-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I think I have decided on a 1 ton either Ford or Ram diesel. One more question. What rear end gear ratio is best. I am reading that the 4.10 gear is very low and results on poor mileage. Can a higher ratio be compensated for by selecting a lower transmission gear when driving when necessary? How would I verify what gearing is in the truck? Is it coded in the VIN number? My mind is not made up regarding Short or Long bed, or single or dual rear wheel and I would appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Agreed, I towed my 16k trailer with my 16' F250, and now have a 17' F350 drw, there is no difference pulling in wind or stopping power, the 17' is just because I want a bigger trailer and I was at the limit on my F250.
crors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
I think I have decided on a 1 ton either Ford or Ram diesel. One more question. What rear end gear ratio is best. I am reading that the 4.10 gear is very low and results on poor mileage. Can a higher ratio be compensated for by selecting a lower transmission gear when driving when necessary? How would I verify what gearing is in the truck? Is it coded in the VIN number? My mind is not made up regarding Short or Long bed, or single or dual rear wheel and I would appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Ram 3500 srw only comes with 3.42's...unless that has changed in the last year or so. I wish I had 3.73's on mine. Ford offers all gear choices on their srw I think. Dually can get whichever. 4.10's if you are really pulling heavy (20k and up) imo
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #21

I am happy with 4.10. But it is not a daily driver. It pulls beautifully.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
What is illogical?

And your experience is???

At least I towed with same generation model truck and engine. The Timbrens would not affect crosswind stability.

It is your turn to supply facts or actual experience to sport your "claim" that DRW is more stable than SRW in crosswinds.

For the record, that was 55K MILES towing with the SRW not km and 2K miles on the DRW.

Plus, I towed with the SRW right up to getting the DRW. My memory is not that poor.
Sorry - am not going to enter a pissing contest based on anecdotal information.

By design a DRW is inherently more stable than a SRW on a comparative basis because of wider stance, heavier springs, heavier weight and less side flex in 4 tires instead of 2.

To say they are exactly the same is illogical.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Gordon, you started the pissing contest by stating fact without supportive data or experience.

I, and at least one other, reported experience that does not support your thesis.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Gordon, you started the pissing contest by stating fact without supportive data or experience.

I, and at least one other, reported experience that does not support your thesis.
You have no idea about my experience. I believe you and I have had prior communications so you should know where I am coming from.

I agree your perception is your reality. However if you read the threads extensively you will see a vast majority of posters are of the opinion that a larger tow vehicle is more stable. The fact that your perception (and one other) is different does not make my post a false statement.

We just have to agree to disagree.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #25

I had a 2500 ram that pulled my 5th wheel just fine and i wasn't overloaded. I decided to go with a heavier 5th wheel- 2,000 pounds more which put me at 16,000 pounds so i had to get a 3500. My 2500 was only a year old so i lost on that trade for sure.Don't live on the fringes. The power train might be the same but it is very important to be safe for your family and others.My dual rear wheel cost 1200.00 more than srw. When parking i just back in or take it out to the back 40. I need the excerise any how.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #26

I have a friend that has one with a SRW 14_RAM Towing it everywhere 3 yrs no problem. Igross 23000 14 Mega RAM. 25000 towing no problem. I did upgrade to disc brakes and would never go back to electric . Just due to the simplicity and stopping power. Put some airbags on to level out and go camping ! Just speaking of my experience only .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #27

It is a 3500 as said just a more robust spring PAC.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:14 AM   #28

Jayco Owners Club
I would say look at your gross axle weights, Combine gross vehicle weights and then tire weight ratings. Make sure you aren't exceeding them.
Then look at your intended use. Long trips across country on a regular basis? Or just a few occasional short or regional trips.
Because your truck may pull it fine, but you may get 6 miles per gallon. So if long trips often is your goal, then you'd probably be better off with a bigger truck.
Me personally I won't haul something over 5000 lbs without DRW because I've seen what happens when a rear tire blows on a pickup hauling heavy loads. And it aint pretty.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow