Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #1

what tires

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 dually that needs tires. I need opinions and experienced replys with the following tires: 235/80/17
Michelin ltx m/s 2
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Bridgestone Duravis M700HD,
Nitto Dura Grappler
I'm running Michelin ltx m/s now and only got 30,000 mi, I have heard the m/s2 have had some sidewall problems? Pulling TT with 1800# TW

Thoughts?

Thanks
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My personal experience is that I have had nothing but trouble with Michelin tires on any of my trucks. I have them on my 5er with no issue. I have had Michelin on my cars and SUV's over the years and never had an issue with any of them. I tried Michelin on my F250 (back in 2001) and they had very little traction on wet roads. I eventually replaced them with Goodyear. I put them on my `08 F-450 (needed LR-G and options were few) and again had very little traction on wet roads. One day, driving about 40 mph, I stepped on the brakes to stop for a red light. We slid sideways thru the light. This was not the ony encounter with poor traction. I contacted Michelin as well as the dealer that put them on. Michelin basically brushed me off saying I must not have the tire pressures correct. The dealer said everything we set correctly. My wife told me she isn't getting in the truck until I repalce the tires. These tires onlyhad 4000 miles when I replaced them with Continental's (which were OEM).

Short answer (at least in my opinion) is anything except Michelin.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My experience has be the opposite of K-Star's. I've been running Michelin tires since the first introduction of steel belted radials way back in the 1960s. Traction is not a problem if you buy the right tread. Michelin makes highway, all season, all terrain, mud terrain and winter tires. You have to have the right tread for your road conditions. Personally, I prefer the all season tread, but then I don't have to put up with snow or mud. My 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost came with Michelin LTX A/S tires, and they have been wonderful for the first 14,000 miles. If you live in snow country, and all-season tires don't have enough traction, then you need to replace your A/S tires with snow tires for wintertime driving. I lived in Omaha for 6 years and Denver for 20 years, and I always had two sets of tires/wheels for each vehicle. Then I retired to the desert and no longer need the winter tires.

Quote:
I'm running Michelin ltx m/s now and only got 30,000 mi, I have heard the m/s2 have had some sidewall problems?
Something is wrong if that's the rear dually tires. Incorrect PSI for the load? However, 30k miles is not bad for the front tires. On my F-250 diesel, ordinary tires gave me at best 30k miles on the front axle. I had to go to expensive Michelin XPS truck tires to get around 40k miles out of the front tires. But XPS is not available for your truck, so I'd stick with Michelin LTX, but probably not the M/T tread. Try the A/S tread if deep snow is not a problem, or the AT2 tread of you have to put up with snow and mud.

And don't expect more than about 30k miles out of your front tires. The rear dually tires should last twice that many miles. (Do not rotate front tires to the dually rear axle. Side to side only. Then replace the front tires about twice as often as the rear tires.)

Quote:
Pulling TT with 1800# TW
With the normal 13% tongue weight, that's a TT that grosses almost 14,000 pounds. Is your TT really that heavy? Is your weight-distributing hitch rated for a tongue weight of 1,800 pound and a gross trailer weight of 14,000 pounds?
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwiz View Post
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 dually that needs tires. I need opinions and experienced replys with the following tires: 235/80/17
Michelin ltx m/s 2
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Bridgestone Duravis M700HD,
Nitto Dura Grappler
I'm running Michelin ltx m/s now and only got 30,000 mi, I have heard the m/s2 have had some sidewall problems? Pulling TT with 1800# TW

Thoughts?

Thanks
Steve
I have always had good luck with Michelin LTX M/S. Run them on my wife's Ford Edge AWD. My new TV came with Michelin A/S. Was not sure I would like them compared to the M/S, but they have great traction and really pump water on wet pavement. Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
let me repeat. I have had Michelin's on my cars and SUV's for years; probably 10 or more sets of tires over the years. they were fantastic tires. in fact my experience with those tires is why i put Michelin's on my trucks. that is where i have had my problems. The F-250 slipped under hard acceleration on wet roads. that i could deal with. But the LR-G's on my F450 truly sucked. Just going around a curve on a wet road i could loose control. unfortunately Michelin only has ONE tire in a LR-G and they were basically an over the road tire.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had put LTX A/S (load range E)on my 2002 F350 and they were fine. Best set of tires I had on it. When I sold the truck, they were still on it and had a lot of miles left in them.

Ken
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #7

I've ran B.F. Goodrich T/A mud N snow tires on my 02 Chevy dually for about 7 years, on our second set now. They perform very well. I figured if UPS felt confident enough to use them on their local delivery trucks they would work well for me. UPS didn't get where they are by being reckless with their money.

Tags
tires